So Angry Right Now

QUOTE (dcrooksjr @ Jul 14 2007, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After he did this I just pulled along side him stopped the motorcycle and told him that their are a lot of drivers that come thru there at a faster speed then I was going and if he doesn't look for threats he could get hurt. He told me that it was an accident and he should have looked first, I told him I understood (because I'm not so old yet that I have lost touch with my childhood. I know what its like to be in his shoes, that bell rings and all you can think about is getting with friends and getting the hell away from their as fast as possible).
I told him just take an extra second and look next time he said he'd try, wished him and his friends a good day and was off. The way I see it is I had no right to be mad at that kid because he just did what comes naturally to him. He had an impulse and acted upon it, he didn't consider the consequences of his action until after I brought it to his attention.

A very responsible and adult approach to the situation.

A similar situation happened to my middle daughter a few weeks ago. She was on her bike cycling home when some boys decided to be boys and made her swerve. Problem was there was a recovery vehicle right behind her. [Local boy]

So he gives a blast on the horn jumps out the cab. Yells at the boys for being stupid and has a word with my daughter (not unlike your example above).

I personally went to the garage and thanked the recovery driver for 1. Anticipating the ensuing stupidity 2. Shouting at the boys & 3 speaking with my daughter.

JD

I understand completely kornkitten, I have a friendly relationship with the local pd, and I often get let off for going a little faster than normal. But still 2 miles off is still 26 over the limit my under standing is 15-20 over depending on location then after that your pushing your luck. highway is a different animal, i've gone untouched between 70 and 80 on I-93 witch for the most part is 55-65.

people believe once they have a badge they are invincible and can do anything they want. my proof of that is that when i was young near the mall is the entrance to the freeway, police used to camp out near there and pull over people for speeding or really whatever they wanted. they pulled over my dad and the rest of the family with him in the car with their (2 police) guns drawn pointing it at every last family member scaring the shit out of him. when he asked for him to put the gun down because it was just the family he pointed it at my mother who was holding me(i was about 6 months at the time) and started laughing at him. gave the ticket for a broken tail light (if i remember correctly, it was something small and stupid) and walked off laughing talking with his partner. my father did not ask for a badge or bring it up to anyone other than family members as he was too scared about what if the cop fucked up and pulled the trigger accidentally or they did it again targeting him. he found it better to just forget about it.

now back on topic. there should have been no reason the cop did not give the other guy a ticket but never know if he knew him so just let him off. maybe he was just having a bad day and decided to be an asshole.

officers tend to give professional courtesy, now I agree with that to a point but I think it should be maybe once or twice because as an officer they need to follow the same laws that they enforce on others. When I got pulled over, the officer comes up to the car and says, "Dave why you acting dumb, keep the speed down." Another time I was on my motorcycle and he just flashed his lights. I stick to the 10-15 over rule most of the time, I want obey the same rules as every one else so that when and if I do go from loss prevention to law enforcement I can enforce the laws with honor.

Ok, so say kid's cant judge a car's speed. They can still see a car. If as a parent you teach your children properly to look prior to crossing, the same result is achieved. That's how I was taught since I can remember (pre-kindergarten). I guess I was a 'lucky one.'

Now-a-days, most parents are really bad at raising kids; in all forms of the sense. I'm quite afraid of what'll happen to the US after the latest generation (<=16 yo) starts running the businesses & country.

Good to hear you got the suspension revoked, kk, sucks though that it happened in the first place. I'd hope that if I'm ever in an accident I won't have the same bad experience as you and the others had with officers.

yeah for some reason my math was way off... i thought we were doing 21 over not 26 over. it wouldn't have made a difference then. I was thinking if he had taken 1 or 2 off it would have dropped us into the 15-20 category.

Oh well. my math is off. i can thank my local highschool and college for that wink.gif

My friend in 6th grade was killed when a car traveling way too fast ran a red light. He wasn't paying attention...except the light was green. He was walking home from school. No, he didn't die...immediately...it took a good couple of hours for him to die. He was rendered brain dead on impact, they say, but his body lived a few more hours because his body hadn't figured out that he was dead. Children won't pay attention all the time, its the responsibility of the drivers to operate their cars in a responsible manner. That being said, the big crime shouldn't be Driving Under the Influence, it should be reckless operation. Whether its from alcohol or talking on a cell phone or driving too fast with children in the car or putting on makeup. The same penalty should apply.

Insurance is really just gambling. Think about it...if you give me 2000-1 odds, I'll bet you $100 that I have my arm dismembered. That's insurance. If you give me 10,000-1 odds, I'll bet you $1,000 that my house is destroyed by a natural disaster other than flood or civil disorder.