Virginia Tech School Shooting

WHOA!

has anyone turned on their tv's today and saw the news about the shooting at Virginia Tech? They are saying 29 injured, 31 dead and that this is the worst rampage shooting in history.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE THESE DAYS!?!?!?!?!?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/16/vtech.shooting/index.html

oh and this just in ......
at 4:15 today president bush is going to speak about the shooting.
What in the world is he going to say? Oh it's not going happen again? Sorry for your loss?

nobody here goes to VT do they? and if so ARE YOU OK?!?!?!!? Edited by kornkitten42

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK.. i got some serious issues with this whole thing. Right now they are reporting that * at 7:15 am the shooter went into the aj dorm and shot and killed on person and wounded multiple others. They called 911 reported everything and the police were trying ot do crowd control and keep the dorm calm.

At 9:15 am the shooter then entered Norris Hall and shot and killed 20 + more people and wounded countless others.

WHAT THE WORLD WERE THEY DOING? I am sure that every single one of the familys of the victims that were killed in the second shooting, are going to sue the school and the local law enforcement. I'm sorry but two hours and in the article i referenced up top, it said at 9:30 all the police cars and ambulances pulled up and got out and tried to storm the building+ student accounts of the incodent all point to 9:30 is....... Yes, to their credit, They ended up killing the guy but not until he killed 20+ other people...... and they had people CALLING 911 telling them were the shooter was!

I'm a dispatcher, if i was stationed to work in that 911 station, (pd) i would expect to lose my job after this.

people are really messed up, sick minds..its really sad that this type of shit happens. I have been at a couple parties this year were kids were packin guns and shots were fired, luckly no one has been hurt.

the kid proved nothing for himself, jus has even more people hating him now

when are people going to learn that this type of stuff doesn't prove anything Edited by ASUSEAN1

I'm 3 weeks away from graduating from Virginia Tech. The whole thing seems unreal. My sister lived on the hall where the first shooting happened, until about two weeks ago. We're praising God that she moved to another part of the building!

It's unreal here in Blacksburg right now. It's a small town, this crap isn't supposed to happen. Crazy to think that the largest civilian shooting in US history happened in a building where I would usually be sitting in class right now.

Classes are cancelled today and tomorrow. Our campus appreciates your thoughts and prayers.

Definitely praying for those over at VT. The worst part about it is that people will use this for fodder for votes and crocodile tears will be shed over the loss of real lives. And to think that Virginia voted down a bill that would allow LAW ABIDING CONCEALED WEAPONS HOLDERS to attend class while carrying discreetly (http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/wb/xp-50658). I'd like to think that so many would have died of one of the VT students had been carrying their own weapon instead of lining up like lambs. This is horrible...

I am a Radford student but was on VT's campus today for research and heard the shots. I was on the phone w/ my gf at the time and can not even begin to explain the thoughts that were going on in my head. And all i can think about is what those that were in those class rooms went through. and i cant even imagine.
but all i can do is pray for the ones that lost their lives for the injured ones and the families.

Not gonna have an argument about guns with you again GoD , but you know my opinion on what causes such killings. I don't think having everybody able to carry concealed weapons would be any better... certainly not after a shooting like this. Some highschools in dangerous neighborhoods have security and detectors at the entrances to prevent this kind of tragic event , but it looks like it should be more widespread.

Yeah, shitty stuff...to think, Columbine happened on 4/20, only a few days away...
Any thing about the suspect has been released? Any possible motive behind it? I mean obviously nothing could ever be a real motive for this, but was he retarded or something?

Yeah, I heard that he didn't have any I.D. on him so they probably won't know who he is until they take his fingerprints or use dental records. They also don't know how the shooter died but I'm guessing he killed himself. Also I heard that one person saw him and said that he was maybe 19 or in is 20's; so until they I.D. him I think the post-war trauma from Vietnam might be out but... maybe Iraq now or if he is a little older maybe Desert Storm. It is crazy that they are calling this the worst shooting in U.S. history and it happened in Blacksburg, which is a small town, just like Columbine was. Just heard that it's going to be on 48 Hours tomorrow at 10 p.m. for people who want more information. Edited by Da Wilksta

I was freaked out about this since the school is only about an 1 hr from my University. My best friend goes there and he wouldn't pick up his phone and couldn't get no contact with him so drove down there with a couple of my other friends. We finally found him and he was shaken about it but in safe condition. It's a shame this had to happen. Who knows if it can happen again? With huge campuses like my Univ. of Maryland, it's easy for anyone to come to classes and halls with a gun. Cops need to focus their attention in major threats like these.

V. Tech made a huge mistake for not canceling classes after the first shooting.

Don't understand how he managed to kill 32 students as well. He had a 22mm & 9mm pistols. Thought it was an auto-rifle of some sort for the massacre to happen. Apparently he shot them one by one with a pistol so why didn't the students charge at him if they knew they would be killed? Need more details.

I was up at midnight (I am in Iraq) trying to find out what happened. I used to live in Lynchburg VA, and I worked with a VA tech grad. My USA home is now in Lorton VA (DC Metro). Are people flying their flags at half-staff around the USA. The Army is NOT flying their flags at half-staff here in Iraq, I think they should.

a .22 and a 9mm pistol huh?

He was packin a few magazines then.... he knew that he was going to be taking a high amount of lives or getting into a shootout with the cops.

Im waiting for the puzzle pieces to come together as to the motive.

As long as school campuses are "firearm free", cowards with ill intent will always see those zones as prime pickins.

You dont hear stories of rampant shootings at gun shows or at rifle ranges.

hey lake... here in Oregon my CHL gets me into schools as long as it is a public institution. Lots of folks whine about it, and there have been attempts to change it, but Oregon has a pretty much Iron Clad preemptive clause. No city or local government can enact any firearm regulation more strict than the state. Private entities can of course enforce trespassing laws, but public schools are fair game.

They tried to change that a year or two ago, but realized it was a losing battle when many teachers and principles and janitorial staff came forward and said that they support CHL in schools to prevent repeats of thurston( which happens to be 10 miles from me, had a lot of friends there), columbine, etc.

Ultimately the only person to blame for this is the lunatic who pulled the trigger. but it sure would have ended sooner if just one person could have safely returned fire. Not saying go out and arm the masses, there are many people who should not own cars let alone guns. But as with any other crime, the first people on the scene aren't the police, they're the criminal and the victim. I prefer to level the playing field a bit.

Maybe the worst part is that the nation isn't focused on mourning. Instead, the news is looking for someone to blame while pundits are arguing whether it would have happened if the only legal guns shot BBs or, in contrast, if every student were required to carry an AK to school with their lunchbox.

Politics FTL. I want humans to start being elected.

The fact of the matter is that no amount of gun control, armchair quarterbacking, police policy changes, metal detectors, etc. will stop someone resolute on commiting an act of violence. Violence is a social issue more than a legal issue. We won't see a reduction in violence until we reduce the things that make people WANT to harm other people.

Tragedies like this are horrible and it's easy to say this or that would have prevented it. It was not my goal to try and point a finger. I just think that it's important for all of us to be a little more aware of our own safety.

So many on the news are saying things like those students might still be alive if they had shut down the campus, but the fact of the matter is that the only person that did anything wrong is the kid that went nuts and shot everyone.

Mourning?

Im tired of mourning school shootings. Seems like all we are allowed to do is mourn.

Like Luxor sez... all the stuff so far is a pathetic offering of false security when this thing happens and the .gov emplaces more defeatable security measures.

This could have all ended in the dorm if the RA had a CCL.

Im really tired of having to MOURN tradgedies where those involved cant at least put up an effective defense for themselves.

well earlier someone said that the police were "cowering" behind their cars, and waiting for the shots to stop.

By police order, Local Law enforcement is not allowed to enter any type of building or location w/ an armed shooter and hostages. They have to wait for SWAT to arrive. only swat can enter the building and take the guy out.

This has a lot of officers up in arms because just like the media is portraying, it makes them look like cowards and like they didn't want to do anything. The officers feel that , that is there job to protect innocent people, but they aren't allowed to because of the whole SWAT division.

(the reason why police officers aren't allowed to go into buildings like this is because they supposedly dont have the training/ resources to handle this type of situation, plus law suits and such if something goes wrong.)

if you think about it.... out of all those students in that assembly hall, mourning the students, probably 25 % of those students actually knew the people that passed. The same thing happened when a dumb girl got drunk and ran into another car head on and killed herself. The whole school turned out to her funeral....... Except like 15 people. (i didnt' attend)
People that talked so much crap about her, and people she hated, were there talking abotu what a great person she was.... even though she was disliked by 90% of the school. It was all a spectical. Just like i feel the people of this and the media are making it. A pure spectical.

The Gunman was twisted and deranged.... or so says the media, he was writing plays that were gruesome, and the teacher called her supervisor and they tried to get him psychiatric help along with the entire class saying that they felt he would become a "school shooter...." WTF????? People are way to sensitive.. he was in a creative writing class he got creative, and then got ridiculed for it.... Not saying that what he did was right but, people again need to mind their own dan business and there was no reason for the teacher to ridicule him in front of the class for his creative writing.

i felt that there should be ccl allowed on school campus, i would have shot him if i was there.
Why again, didn't anyone or group of people try to bum rush him if they were going to die anyway? I just dont understand the sheep mentality, lets huddle up in a corner so we can all die.

ALL READY PEOPLE ARE BLAMING VIDEO GAMES AGAIN............ THIS IS SUCH CRAP... DR. Phil you're an idiot. again the media is always so quick to point the blame, just like columbine, 9/11 and everything else.......

ok, i think i'm done. Edited by kornkitten42

QUOTE (Lakemonster @ Apr 17 2007, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im tired of mourning school shootings. Seems like all we are allowed to do is mourn.

I'd personally like to take a step back and sigh for humanity. The media isn't interested in things like that. It's not entertaining, and it doesn't generate revenue. "This just in... a shooting on a college campus... 32 dead... could the police have done more, and who must resign?" We always want someone to blame. Catastrophes can't just happen. Somebody allowed them to happen, or somebody didn't do enough when they did happen. We want somebody to hang to make ourselves feel better about something we can't control. But that's just sad human nature. Anyone banking on politics said "My, how awful for the families. But, as I don't actually give a rats ass, I'd like to take this opportunity to martyr these shmucks for my political purposes. We need more gun control! We need less gun control! Rabble rabble rabble! Buy my next book!"

I'd like to mourn a little. At least feel a little empathy for the families. I can guarantee that if news broke about Anna Nicole's paternity test being staged, 32 dead kids would take a backseat to the more pressing matter.

On that note, I'd like to mourn the murders and society.

Not everyone mourns, nor is anyone required to. But some of the responses to these killings have been ridiculous.

This could have all ended in the dorm if the RA had a CCL.

Agreed. Edited by james