Walker's Broadleaf Plants Are In The Garden

azcoyote

Couple years ago I grew some Walker's Broadleaf tobacco, a self-pollenating, heirloom variety. I only had a few plants, enough to roll some stogies. They weren't bad for a first attempt. Now I see some volunteer sprouts in the Romaine I planted and I'm going to let them grow. The bed gets some morning sun and is shaded during the hot part of the day. It's ideal for these plants. In 75 days I should harvest enough for making a small batch of shisha.

Anyone else growing their own 'baccy? cool.gif

QUOTE (freepain @ Apr 16 2007, 06:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would love to grow my own

I need to start looking into how they grow.

Can they stand sandy soil?

i live in florida so its what we mostly have here.

You'll probably want to add something to hold water in the soil, like peat moss or planting mix. Tobacco likes plenty of fertilizer. About the some conditions as for tomatoes. Not surprising as they are in the same plant family, Solonacae.

I grew a small amount of Virginia (Lizard Foot or Orinoco, cant remember now) a few years back.... Im not much of a green thumb so there was little to harvest. I keep thinking I might try again now that I have some full sun to work with.

As for the Rustica.... much raw tobacco that India produces of that variety is for hookah.

QUOTE (Lakemonster @ Apr 17 2007, 06:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I grew a small amount of Virginia (Lizard Foot or Orinoco, cant remember now) a few years back.... Im not much of a green thumb so there was little to harvest. I keep thinking I might try again now that I have some full sun to work with.

As for the Rustica.... much raw tobacco that India produces of that variety is for hookah.

N. Rustica is several times stronger than N. Tabacum - no wonder Mushrat's dirt is so wicked strong. American Indian use N. Rustica in rituals including sweat lodge. I have heard it is strong enough to induce hallucinations. Think I'll stay away from that... good luck if you try Orinoco again. I have some seed capsules from my last crop if you want to try 'em. ohmy.gif

QUOTE (freepain @ Apr 18 2007, 07:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ive never had any hallucinations from it but thats just me

And i've smoked it Many times

Its a very different smoke tho its worth a try

Now I remember reading about it - the native american shamans would make a snuff out of the N. Rustica plus who knows what for their vision quests. I think it's also in "bidis" - those tiny Indian cigars. Can't find them in the US anymore, but used to really enjoy them. tongue.gif

• 2 months later...
QUOTE (freepain @ Apr 17 2007, 06:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you think it would be possible to make nicotiana rustica into sisha ?

I usually smoke rustica with friends on the weekend
my friend grows it so maybe i can score some leaves

I think it's possible. I would use plenty of hot water to wash it like tombek. I have a wad of it from Basementshaman.com. Imported from Brazil. I tried a 1" square pieces of leaf mixed into a a bowl of standard commercial shisha. . Totally kicked my ass. It changed the taste of the bowl, and not really for the better. Be careful with that stuff! The thought of smoking a head made entirely from rustica is ....scary. unsure.gif

BTW I now have three growing plants, doing quite well in our scorching summer. (Expecting 114 deg today)They are about 20" tall and the best leaf is 13" long and 9" wide at the fattest part.

QUOTE (nicayotte @ Jul 5 2007, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is growing your own legal?

It is legal to grow tobacco for personal use anywhere in the USA without registration, licensing or taxes. The govmint only get involved if you decide to sell it. tongue.gif

• 2 weeks later...