Any Scotch Drinkers Out There?

ryno

No, I wouldn't recommend Glenlivet to start out. Start with Dalwhinnie, it's the softest single malt out there - it's called "the honey malt." After that, try Glenmorangie 10, very solid, and VERY cheap (like, $30, which is as low as it gets for single malts). Also, almost every bar has Glenmorangie.

If your budget is really low, Grant's Family Reserve is a blend, but is very smooth and sippable, and about $15

I'd go with what Hass suggests, he'd got great taste

Yes, and I try lots and lots of things.

PS drinking The Laddie now. Excellent, excellent, reasonably priced whisky. Much better than my first impression, just needed to breathe for a few minutes.

Anything by Glenmorangie or Johnny Walker black or higher :)

Everything. The shape of the glass is perfect for getting the full aroma out, but it's also easy to drink from. It's crystal, so it's very pretty, but it's also very sturdy and solid and is dishwasher safe. You can even tell how much you pour by what point of the curve it comes up to (the bulge's maximum is about 1.5 ounces).  As I say, it's become the industry standard for good reason, though that doesn't mean a similar glass won't give similar results.

• 1 year later...

Well, I've come a long way in my scotch drinking since posting this thread. Now I love the single malts with a good amount of peat to it. Had Lagavulin  for the first time a week ago, and wow that was a damn good drink. I've also had Dalphwinnie and a few Glenmorriage (excuse the spelling, bourbon is taking over atm) and they have been damn good. Any suggestions for a good smokey, peat tasting scotch?

Well, I've come a long way in my scotch drinking since posting this thread. Now I love the single malts with a good amount of peat to it. Had Lagavulin  for the first time a week ago, and wow that was a damn good drink. I've also had Dalphwinnie and a few Glenmorriage (excuse the spelling, bourbon is taking over atm) and they have been damn good. Any suggestions for a good smokey, peat tasting scotch?

Since I last posted, I've picked up Aberlour A'bunadh, Springbank 10, Bunnahabhain 12, and a Gordon & MacPhail (one of the best independent bottlers) 8 year old Highland Park which is a total destroyer. 

Suggestions for peat, from Islay (the home of smoky fuckin whisky!)

Laphroaig 10, either regular or even better, cask strength. This is a real binary rum, people love it or hate it. During Prohibition it was still allowed to be sold as medicine, to give you an idea

Caol Ila 12. This might be my favorite all-rounder smoky whisky. It's not as heavily peated, and it has a warm savory smokiness, almost like good barbecued meat. Indie bottlings of Caol Ila are supposed to be amazing, if you can find them.

Ardbeg 10 or Uigedail (cask strength). Another big and aggressive one but not as briny and iodiney as Laphroaig

Bruichladdich Port Charlotte - a peated Bruichladdich, which is no bad thing

Kilchoman (any of them, but Machir Bay is their flagship bottling) - the newest distillery on Islay, only a few years old but they're doing it right. Peaty but balanced and light.

Compass Box Peat Monster - a blended malt, made entirely of single malts presumably from Islay. It's a different spin on smoky, peaty whisky.

Smokehead - an indie bottled Islay single malt at an affordable price. It comes from one of the 8 distilleries on Islay, but they don't say which. It costs a lot less than most indie bottled whiskies, however. I had it a while ago and don't remember which it reminds me of, but if I had to guess I'd say either Ardbeg or Caol Ila. Caol Ila, fun fact, produces FAR more whisky for blending and independent bottling than it puts out under its own label...

Also peaty but much less so than the Islay classics:

Talisker 10. Some smoke, not overwhelming, also very savory and powerful tasting.

Highland Park, any of them (12 is a great starting point). Extremely well-balanced with a hint of peat and smoke, but balanced by sweeter malty flavors, floral, a true all-rounder.

Try the ardbeg uigeadail.

• 5 months later...

If it's single malt straight. Nose glass or lowball glass. I recendly started adding 3 DROPS of water to my single malt scotch, the chemical reaction is rather starteling.

it really brings out the smoke and the peat in the Islays.