The Shaggin' Wagon

r1v3th3ad

Well, I've had my '92 honda accord lx wagon two and a half years now. I'm finally learning how to wrench on a vehicle. This thing is a tank and worth nickle and diming, it saved my life already. A year ago, May I was headed to my cabin in Slippery Rock Pa from home in the South Hills of Pittsburgh. It was late. I just got thru liberty tunnels and was going between 40 and 45 on liberty bridge (speed limit 40) and a woman coming the other direction made a u turn right in front of me, I t boned her. My car suffered little damage and was repaired at about $1300 thru insurance, hers (actually her fiances) was bad...a Chrysler 300m brand new, wheel bent at severe angle, but she managed to get out of there before police, after exchanging info. I'm fine other than back injury, but if it was any other car I'm sure it would have been different, like my old saturn sports coupe that was totalled at 28mph on black ice, probably would have been dead...so I'm suing for pain and suffering now.

Anyway on to wrenching. I never changed a tire yet alone my oil before this car, I learned. Lots of rust out, I tiger haired, sanded, primed, and painted with honda spray paint (still need some practice, patches are cracking). I helped my "mechanic" replace front motor mount, still need to do rear but that's gonna be a bitch. I helped put a new exhaust on this summer all the way to manifold. I changed rad hoses. I gave full tune up (all with guidance). Now, my tranny is acting up, but we've figured out its the TCM. I spent most of the day yesterday figuring out where it was and gaining access to get part number, all on my own :). I called all over the country and finally found one(actually near my cabin). This weekend I will limp my tank, the shaggin' wagon, up there and work with my friend (my life long friend up the cabin's dad, the neighbors) to install this and get it going fine again. I love this car, and I love that I've learned to to sooooo much on my own that can save me a fortune, as well as give me an appreciation for my vehicle. Its not a trophy, but it is for me and I feel 100% safe behind the wheel of it.

​How did this happen?
‹‹

LOL!

Awesome ride, Pat. I am a firm believer in keeping a good car until she just won't go anymore. Nice to see someone is like me in that aspect. I hope to learn more about cars and fixing them as mine gets older (it's only a 2007). My old 1993 Ford Explorer I learned some on, though. At the age of 15/16, I did some work myself on it. My next car was a 2004 Mustang and I wrecked it before I had much of a chance to do anything on it. Now I have the Focus. I don't think it matters much what type of car you've got, it's all about how you maintain it and treat it. Seems like you treat and maintain yours really well.

Reminds me of my old 1981 Datsun 510 station wagon. But around 75,000 miles on it in under 2 years doing archaeology and SCA. When i finally parkred it for the last time it was like in the old movies where the car just falls apart after the chase. Sold it for enough money for steaks, beer, and a bottle of scotch to toast it with. :)