Straight Razor Shaving

Chreees

Shave #2 tonight.

Razor moved much easier tonight... maybe it just needed a bit of stropping even though Larry said in the instructions it did not? I dunno. I was able to go quicker, and I didn't take near as long to shave, but I did still have to finish with my electric (which feels completely childproof after just shaving your face with a sharp blade, lol).

One thing I don't get yet is how to cut completely close so no stubble is left. Went all angles and still had stubble left. It was like I was just scraping off the lather. I need to work on my angle technique more (obviously).

Less nicks this time... but a bit more irritation (razor burn). Not sure why. I did get a gusher on the left side of my neck, right under the jawline, that took a bit of time to clot (styptic was no match for it).

At least I actually felt like the guys in the YouTube vids this time... Just didn't get the closeness I needed. I'll work on it. I think my next shave will be in a day or two. Definitely can't shave everyday right now while learning this new skill.

well?

Lol, I also just saw your "Hookah industry is cutthroat, bro!" thing - you should put a pic of your razors.

Haven't shaved yet. Going to tomorrow. Meant to today but time just got away from me.

Lol ya, that would be funny I guess.

Shave #3:

Okay, so I KNEW something wasn't right... I shaved today using my Dovo my brother gave to me, after giving it a quick 10 x-strokes on the hone I purchased from Whipped Dog. It shaves beautifully. Waaaaaaaaay better than the Henckels. With the Henckels it was more so just scraping off the lather, whereas the Dovo I was having complete whisker removal in one WTG pass. Amazing. Not knocking Larry's honing job on the Henckels, but it just wasn't as sharp as it should've been, IMO. I will shave using it next time and see how it performs now that it's had 10 x-strokes on the barbers hone, and let you guys know how it goes. But I did do the arm hair test, and it seemed to do just as well as the Dovo.

I am completely satisfied with this shave! I did one north-to-south pass, and then one south-to-north pass. My face is completely smooth. There was no need to finish with my electric this time. I am soooo happy that I finally figured out this issue, and it wasn't just me.

Awesome! Like I said, everyone's idea of what "shave ready" means is different. A truly sharp razor will make things muuuuch easier for you. You will feel like you need to use less pressure, and as a result, you're less likely to nick yourself. Also, north to south and south to north are silly terms. Learn your grains and call it what it is: WTG, ATG, XTG. 

Awesome! Like I said, everyone's idea of what "shave ready" means is different. A truly sharp razor will make things muuuuch easier for you. You will feel like you need to use less pressure, and as a result, you're less likely to nick yourself. Also, north to south and south to north are silly terms. Learn your grains and call it what it is: WTG, ATG, XTG. 

I know. I used those terms because the direction my hair grows is silly, especially on my neck... So technically WTG/ATG was not accurate, I don't think. I just went down in the first pass, and then went up in the next. Just wanted to be clear I guess, lol. I'll try to use the proper terms from now on.

My definition of shave ready obviously differs from Larry's... but that's okay. I'll just give my Wade and Butcher some strokes on the hone when I get it back from him and make it a bit sharper and I should be good to go.

Heh, I really don't need to focus on more than just shaving at one time... Can't afford to be distracted whatsoever. :)

Shave #4:

Did the same two passes as before, WTG and then ATG (although technically it's XTG on my neck, the way hair grows there). I first tried the Henckels razor that I did 10 x-strokes on the barbers hone with, and it just wasn't "cutting it." So switched to the Dovo. Perfect. I guess I need to take the Henckels back to the hone, see if I can't get it sharpened up a bit.

Shave went well overall. Had some resistance on the ATG pass around the chin area. Razor burn on my neck, but that's likely due to me using Aqua Velva (my old go-to) as aftershave instead of the Proraso Pre-Shave cream, like I've been doing since I started this adventure. Reason I tried the Aqua Velva is because the wife doesn't like the smell of the Proraso. Looks like I'll be looking for something that is alcohol free as an aftershave... Any recommendations? I know I need to pick up some Thayer's Witch Hazel for a good post-shave treatment... Trying to find it locally but coming up empty-handed.

As for closeness, it's getting better. Running my hands WTG, completely smooth. ATG, there's some stubble, especially on my neck where I shaved moreso XTG due to the direction my hair grows there. I am completely satisfied with this shave, though I would like to someday be able to get that BBS shave. With patience and practice, I shall get it someday...

I use this as an aftershave, works for me, but I don't get horrible razor burn http://www.neutrogena.com/product/neutrogena+men-+razor+defense-+post+shave+lotion.do

Do you find that in stores or do you have to order on line? 

I thought it was discontinued because it disappeared from the stores I go to a couple of years ago.  Now I occasionally find this and stock up when I do: http://www.neutrogena.com/product/neutrogena+men-+sensitive+skin+post+shave+balm.do?sortby=ourPicks

Hmm, doing some research, it seems Nivea changed their formula on their aftershave balm. I may give it another shot if I can't track down the Neutrogena. Besides, I can't even remember why I stopped using the Nivea...

New Nivea formula (Active Comfort edition or some shit): http://www.amazon.com/Nivea-Sensitive-Comfort-3-3-Ounce-Bottles/dp/B001FB5IGE/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Old Nivea formula (stuff I used before): http://www.amazon.com/Nivea-Sensitive-After-Shave-Soothing/dp/B000GCQC6S/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I had (and may still have) the old Nivea stuff - it's too liquidy and has a strong fragrance (that interferes with cologne, say). The Neutrogena is more of a cream and is far less scented

I'll see if I can't find it. Looks like CVS nearby may have it. I'll check there, and if all else fails I will try the new formula Nivea.

So I emailed Larry about my Henckels razor not shaving well... He said to send it back and he'd rehone it for free with free return shipping, and give me a free honing in the future. Very nice of him.

Heh, I really don't need to focus on more than just shaving at one time... Can't afford to be distracted whatsoever. :)

Shave #4:

Did the same two passes as before, WTG and then ATG (although technically it's XTG on my neck, the way hair grows there). I first tried the Henckels razor that I did 10 x-strokes on the barbers hone with, and it just wasn't "cutting it." So switched to the Dovo. Perfect. I guess I need to take the Henckels back to the hone, see if I can't get it sharpened up a bit.

Shave went well overall. Had some resistance on the ATG pass around the chin area. Razor burn on my neck, but that's likely due to me using Aqua Velva (my old go-to) as aftershave instead of the Proraso Pre-Shave cream, like I've been doing since I started this adventure. Reason I tried the Aqua Velva is because the wife doesn't like the smell of the Proraso. Looks like I'll be looking for something that is alcohol free as an aftershave... Any recommendations? I know I need to pick up some Thayer's Witch Hazel for a good post-shave treatment... Trying to find it locally but coming up empty-handed.

As for closeness, it's getting better. Running my hands WTG, completely smooth. ATG, there's some stubble, especially on my neck where I shaved moreso XTG due to the direction my hair grows there. I am completely satisfied with this shave, though I would like to someday be able to get that BBS shave. With patience and practice, I shall get it someday...

I GUEES SO :(

The only two balms I use for aftershave are Geo F. Trumpers Lime Skin Food (the other ones are good, as well, from what I've heard) and The Gentleman's Refinery Unscented Aftershave Balm.

Both are expensive, but my bottles of each have lasted me like 1-2 years now (granted, I'm not a daily shaver, and I do often rock a beard for quite a while at a time). 

GFT is a very light, soothing balm that stays sort of wet and gelly on the skin for quite a while and leaves a sort of light residue that keeps the face moisturized. It works great, but it's more of a "i need to shave, but not go out today" type of thing. It works good, and I guess when used in moderation it would be fine for daily use (lots of people use it like that), but for daily use I prefer TGR's balm. It says unscented, but it's actually a really really light sandalwood scent. It's awesome. I technically class it as an aftershave "milk", as it is very runny and liquidy. It leaves a nice matte texture on my skin (as opposed to the gloss of GFT's skin food), and moisturizes really well.

Probably won't find either in stores, but if you do, definitely worth trying out.

EDIT: While I'm on the topic, I might as well tell you that the only pre-shave oil/treatment that I have used (and I've used a lot) that actually works AND smells good, is Primalan. It's seriously the fucking tits. Best almond smell, nice tingle, a little goes a long way, etc. Worth it.

Damn Ty! I ain't got that kind of money. :lol: As much as I'd like to try those products, I think I'm going to have to search for cheaper alternatives unfortunately. Maybe someday I can try them out at least.

I have been using the Proraso pre-shave cream before lathering and like it a lot. I think I'll keep using it. I'd also keep using it as a post-shave treatment if the wife didn't hate the smell so much. She's bitched about the scent every damn time I've shaved.

Looks like my post-shave treatment will either be the Neutrogena or Nivea for now.

Thanks for the excellent recommendations regardless, Ty. I just can't be a baller like you right now, what with my looming unemployment and all. :P

Aye, just figured it was worth mentioning what I like to use and what works for me. GFT shave creams don't have the best lather on the market, but it's good enough for my tastes because they have some of the best smells on the market. I will seriously buy anything in the GFT Extract Of Limes line. 

Word, thanks again man.

I used to pay $20 for a small puck of American Crew Fiber for my hair, but have since switched to a Suave product that is similar enough and it's only $2 per puck.

I'm the type of guy that doesn't mind paying a bit for items that last forever (such as a nice vintage straight), but I have trouble spending good money that is used up and thrown away. I dunno, maybe it's just me. I'm weird. If I had more money, I'd definitely be happy to buy more expensive stuff, though.

Shave #5:

Got my Wade and Butcher back from being sent off to get honed, along with two vintage razor cases (I'll post pics later). Did Proraso pre-shave cream, Proraso soap, and two passes, WTG/ATG. Everything went well. I think I'm going to run the razor on my hone a few strokes, as it didn't cut as close as my Dovo. Still did a good job, though. I picked up some Nivea post shave balm and man, I really like it. It really calmed things down and left my face and neck feeling great. I think I'll keep using it.

All in all, a decent shave.

Shave #6:

My first time in a LONG time that I have shaved two days in a row... It went well in terms of closeness, but not well in terms of irritation/razor burn (did the usual WTG and ATG passes). Even with the Nivea sensitive skin post-shave balm. I used the Dovo, which has easily become my favorite in terms of sharpness (gives me a closer shave), weight, stability, and size of the blade. Using the Wade and Butcher and then the Dovo, I realized I really like the tang on the Dovo more. It allows me to hold the razor more easily than with the W&B. Irritation may have come from using too much pressure, but I'm not too sure. I'll try to ease up next time. I also ran the W&B on the hone a few times and will be using it next time, see if it shaves any closer.

So, I use my straight razor- that i cut hair with, on my legs and ... well (; . A few things to keep in mind for any of you guys. 

1.) Always exfoliate before you shave. 

2.) Do not use heavy creams on your face afterwords! That WILL cause your pores to get over saturated with oils and lead to breakouts and ingrown hairs.

3.) Do not use scented anything...

to exfoliate I make up a batch of Sea Salt and Steal Cut Oats. 50/50 and put that in a food processor. Make sure it's nice and powdery, you don't want to scratch the heck out of your skin. 

This stuff is also amazing as regular face wash. Salt opens the pores and removes toxins. The oatmeal leaves a light layer of moisture. <- that is important because your skin is now clean and exposed. If it doesn't have that moisture you will dry out or your skin will release oils to protect its self. Both of those things lead to breakouts and irritation. 

I don't use any shaving cream because the moisture from the oatmeal is already there, and gets me a nice close shave anyway.

In the mixture of Salt and Oatmeal you can also add rosemary essential oils. Why? Well it will help prevent scaring, and heal old scars on your face. (acne scars, manly brawls etc. )

Do not use heavy creams on your face after!!!!!!!!! Just don't do it. It goes back to what I said earlier about your face trying to protect its self. Use Jojoba oil! It the closest composition to what oils are naturally produced by your skin. You won't breakout because your body is used to that composition of oils. 

Also. If you start using the face scrub, you might experience a breakout (i haven't and no one I have given it to has, yet) because the salt will draw out the impurities deep in your pores.