Straight Razor Shaving

Chreees

Cheeres, I have never tried prorasso, but I do love C.O. Bigelow cream. You can get it at any bath and body works in the mall. It's made for them by proraso.

Right. I actually searched for C.O. Bigelow but the TWO nearest Bath and Body Works did not have it. So I said screw it and ordered the Proraso on Amazon for $13 each (I ordered two tubs, which will last me probably two or three years with my other two soaps I also have, haha). I have a feeling I prefer soap over cream anyway. The TOBS Sandalwood is nice stuff, very luxurious, but there's still something about soap that just makes me want to use it more regularly. I just use it about once a week since it's so fancy and more expensive. :lol:

I don't know your feelings on it, but a great and inexpensive stand by for ones soap rotation is Williams mug soap, CVS sells it for about two bucks a pop

Well, the big blade turned out to be a total joke. The seller lied- it is actually a 7/8, not a full inch. Also, it was shortened at some point in its history. Returning it for a refund... On the bright side, though, I have some really cool razors I'm about to buy from some local peeps (working for a local newspaper has its perks when it comes to making sure your classified ad gets in ;) ). I checked out some today and I'm paying the guy tomorrow. Three razors (one is a Dubl Duck) and a really old strop that is in excellent condition. The other razors he had were too far gone. Either huge chips in the blade or broken scales. The strop I will probably just clean up and resell, and the razors will need minimal work to clean off rust and hone 'em up. Oh, and did I mention I have a Norton 4000/8000 combo hone on the way, along with a DMT 325? Finally, I shall expand my knowledge on honing. So pumped to get started!

Haha, yeah, I've seen that posted several times here lately. Pretty funny. I tried growing a beard, but I couldn't get past the itchiness. After a week I whipped out my straight and I was a very happy man. My wife was much happier as well. ;) She doesn't mind if I rock a 3 day beard, but I won't tell you why.................... :rolleyes:

Anyway, sweet little lady stopped by and sold me two razors, one of which is my dream razor. Nice big wedge 7/8 Wade and Butcher. Scales are rough, but she should clean up nicely. The other is a smaller razor that has Nashville, TN stamped on the tang, made by John Weis. Very interesting. I will post pictures later. Going to go pick up the other three from the guy I met yesterday, along with that vintage strop.

Here are all my acquisitions from today:

[attachment=6402:ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374899358.973202.jpg]

I'm going to start restoring them tomorrow hopefully, and learn honing when my Norton hone arrives. The W&B deserves a nice set of ivory scales, me thinks. The ones on it are pretty rough. The rest are good; just need cleaning up and a good honing.

gonna be giving myself a sweet shave here in a bit, might even do my scalp while im at it, so when its all said and done, i will post what i used,  maybe even a pic of the setup for a shave of the day pic.

well i had to retouch 3 blades the other night, one a fredrick reynolds spike point with a barbers notch, a cmon blackie, and a morely clover brand. when you get ready to hone
the FR be ready for a marathon session, for some reason fredrick reynolds take some tome to get the edge done.  something about the hardness, but once you get it honed, it holds the edge better than anything i have used yet.

Edited by wvloony

I actually sold my Frederick Reynolds, as it was so similar to my Sheaf Works, but was no where near as good as a shaver.

Currently having fun with my Norton 4k/8k on the new razors I picked up- Dubl Duck Special No. 1, John Weis C.S.P.K., and F.W. Engels Special. After I master these three to shave well off of the 8k, I will try to master honing my new 7/8 wedge Wade and Butcher. Can't wait to shave with that bad boy... I also just purchased a Welsh slate hone that has really good reviews. It's supposedly rated at around 15k grit or even higher.

I would suggest about 3 layers of electrical tape on the spine when you start. As for finishers, I have a small Escher I actually stumbled upon in an antique shop for 18 bucks

18 bucks!? Damn, good deal. And yeah, I knew I'd have to use quite a bit of tape on the wedge. It'll be fun figuring that one out. :) I finished those 3 razors last night- test shave tomorrow morning to see how I did.

Met another local guy who had a massive collection of razors... Said he didn't even bring them all to show me. Literally hundreds. It was pretty great sitting down and looking at all of them with him.

Anyway, here's what I picked up:

[URL=http://s1261.photobucket.com/user/clmccain90/media/Straight%20Razors/photo_zpsdc6c0543.jpg.html][/URL]

The two paddle strops he gave to me. The case is marked Wade and Butcher. From left to right is a 7/8 wedge Wade and Butcher (my dream razor, second one I've picked up here lately!), a FULL INCH Joseph
Elliot blade only (wedge, sucker is HEAVIEST blade I've ever held). In the middle from top down: 5/8 Lee Mfg Co Germany, 5/8 faded marked Wade and Butcher, 5/8 Boetcher-Kellogg Co Germany, 5/8 Dubl Duck Dwarf, 5/8
Lafayette Cutlery Co Germany, 4/8 Crown Razor Boston Mass, 4/8 AJ Jordan Sheffield Celebrated Hollow Ground. Then on the far right I have two that the blades are shot on- Union Cutlery and Bob Clark. The two loose
blades are 335 Noneta and Continental Cutlery. I plan on trying to fit the good scales on the good loose blades. Now... Where to find big scales for the incher Joseph Elliot??? :P

• 2 weeks later...

had a wonderful shave this am with my big cleaver of a razor, some uberlather made of ingrams and ooglalah soap, followed up with some osage rub, wonderful smooth

• 2 weeks later...
Yesterday before work, I had to give myself a nice close shave, so I ran some uberlather with a macca root shave cream and Williams mug soap, followed up with a shave from one of my many DE razors. Face and head both felt nice and smooth, Osage rub afterwards. Just felt cleaner

Yesterday before work, I had to give myself a nice close shave, so I ran some uberlather with a macca root shave cream and Williams mug soap, followed up with a shave from one of my many DE razors. Face and head both felt nice and smooth, Osage rub afterwards. Just felt cleaner

Ahhh, uberlather. The stuff of dreams.