It Cost What To Fill My Truck?

TheScotsman

Well your tank must be fucking huge. Because gas hasn't even been that bad. There is always something for americans to be angry about it. Maybe we should be thankful, and not complain about gas prices. Be thankful that you can even drive a car. Be thankful that you live in America where you can live as a free citizen and not have to live with war in your own home. Don't like how the country is run? Don't like that gas is a tiny bit expensive? Move to another country.
  • Upvote 1

I looked up the gas prices in your area. I'm gonna assume its a diesel (Most expensive anyways at 4$ a gal.) So you bought 60~ gal of diesel for 251$ and your complaining....That same amount of diesel in London would cost you...around $579!!! So ya I understand why your upset... :rolleyes:

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1329543685' post='539398']
Get a more fuel-efficient car?

Just filled up my Focus yesterday- $35, which is about the most I've ever paid to put gas into it.
[/quote]

But that is in no way cool... nor would it haul large quantities of heavy stuff down crappy goat paths that pass for roads around here, and it sure would look silly with a huge plow on it. Or maybe that would be more of a Focus on a plow than a plow on a focus? As for efficency goes, This one gets around 10, not bad considering it would haul 3+ of those little ford rollerskates. (I don't think I have ever owned anything that got more than 20. frightening, eh?) 62 gallons of K1, not diesel, could still get pretty cold here, and a giant can of jello hanging on your turck is no fun. It just gets a bit silly when I had to swipe my card 4 seperate times to get to full. Not upset in any way, just amazed - end of 2008 I paid 1.90ish/gal. 100% increase in 3 years leaves me wondering just where it's going.

I believe the real issue is that the gov and car companies are sitting on the technology that could bring us electric or hydrogen cars. Not the electric cars they have out now that only go 300 miles or whatever on a charge. I'm talking about cars that could actually be viable replacements for what we drive now. But nooooo. We gotta have that oil. It's too big of a money maker.
  • Upvote 1

I forgot to say my price in my previous post... I paid $3.43 the other day in town. Now it's $3.45. Been hovering right around there lately. My grandpa was fussing couple weeks ago, saying there's no reason the prices are going up, that the price per barrel or whatever hasn't risen or anything. I would love to see our vehicles no longer relying on gas, but quite frankly I think I won't live to see that day. If I do, I will be a very old man. Stupid government holding us all back...

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1329548908' post='539410']
I believe the real issue is that the gov and car companies are sitting on the technology that could bring us electric or hydrogen cars. Not the electric cars they have out now that only go 300 miles or whatever on a charge. I'm talking about cars that could actually be viable replacements for what we drive now. But nooooo. We gotta have that oil. It's too big of a money maker.
[/quote]

[img]http://h.images.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/14555487.jpg[/img]

[quote name='cotsi95' timestamp='1329549309' post='539411']
I know gas in 1950 was $.20 a gallon. It's only been 60 years...where is all this money going!!!!
[/quote]

cheese was 45 cents/lb now about 400. give it the benefit of the doubt, 10x increase
eggs were 80 cents/doz and they are, well, about a 1.60 here, just double in 58 years
average new car was 1510.00 now 28,400. (let's go 30K for simplicity) About 19X increase
average house, 8450 then, and here, in this county, is 89.6k now, a 10.6x increase.
Hamburger, 30 cents/lb then, 3.00 now, another 10x increase.
frozen turkey. 49 cents/lb then, 1.80 now 3.6 x increase.

Using your logic, and the national 1950 average of .18 cents, and the average of the increases above one would expect to see gas at around 1.40.

[quote name='TheScotsman' timestamp='1329586388' post='539454']
[quote name='cotsi95' timestamp='1329549309' post='539411']
I know gas in 1950 was $.20 a gallon. It's only been 60 years...where is all this money going!!!!
[/quote]

[b]cheese was 45 cents/lb now about 400. give it the benefit of the doubt, 10x increase
eggs were 80 cents/doz and they are, well, about a 1.60 here, just double in 58 years
average new car was 1510.00 now 28,400. (let's go 30K for simplicity) About 19X increase
average house, 8450 then, and here, in this county, is 89.6k now, a 10.6x increase.[/b]
Hamburger, 30 cents/lb then, 3.00 now, another 10x increase.
frozen turkey. 49 cents/lb then, 1.80 now 3.6 x increase.

Using your logic, and the national 1950 average of .18 cents, and the average of the increases above one would expect to see gas at around 1.40.
[/quote]

1. I don't know what kind of fucking cheese you are buying. But using the most expensive cheese for an example, is simply stupid.
2. Price has doubled in 58 years? And that is bad or something?
3. Average car is not 28k, average family car is around 12-15k.

Look what money was worth back in the 50's. Now look at how much $10 in the 50's is worth now. It's not like everything has stayed the same and the prices have just shot up.

I haven't bought a gallon of gasoline since last summer. The only gasoline I use is for cutting grass with my riding mower.

Let's hear some praise for company vehicles!!
Of course my boss is about to have a cow . . . :D

I bought gas in the early 70s for as little as 24 cents per gallon. At the time I was making about $2.25/hr on my work-study job. Could fill up my 1970 LTD for just a few bucks.

The price will continue to increase. For the last several years Obama has demonized the oil producers. What would you do if you knew the best way to get him out of office was to have high gasoline prices during an election year?

[quote name='MichaelLCP' timestamp='1329629657' post='539545']
So now you guys are blaming high gas prices on Obama? God I bet if we had a republican president gas prices wouldn't be as bad. :nea:
[/quote]
No, I'm blaming them on politics. I don't see much difference between Democrat asshats and Republican asshats. Obama just happens to be in office now and his attitude towards business sucks.

Ok i will admit that the gov has some to do with gas prices seeing as around 75 cents of the price is a tax. But it's obvious that you guys have never taken an economic class and know what an elastic good is and what it isn't. That being said the price of oil and therefore gas has a lot more to do with it being a SCARCE RESOURCE then the gov.

The price of gas being sold is not just affected by the price per barrel but also the oil companies "predictions" of what gas my cost in the future. The price of gas now is viewed at as an investment for more gas in the future. So say something like political turmoil in one of the countries we get gas from will affect prices at the pump even though the per barrel prices have not increased. Fortunately for the oil companies they never really lose.
  • Upvote 3

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1329648922' post='539569']
The price of gas being sold is not just affected by the price per barrel but also the oil companies "predictions" of what gas my cost in the future. The price of gas now is viewed at as an investment for more gas in the future. So say something like political turmoil in one of the countries we get gas from will affect prices at the pump even though the per barrel prices have not increased. Fortunately for the oil companies they never really lose.
[/quote]

This, a sensible explanation with logic behind it. +1 rep.
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='gramps' timestamp='1329621368' post='539532']
I bought gas in the early 70s for as little as 24 cents per gallon. At the time I was making about $2.25/hr on my work-study job. Could fill up my 1970 LTD for just a few bucks.

The price will continue to increase. For the last several years Obama has demonized the oil producers. What would you do if you knew the best way to get him out of office was to have high gasoline prices during an election year?
[/quote]

So when gas prices were nearing the $4 range during the last presidency here in vegas, it was obamas fault too, even though no-1 had even heard of him? OK...

also... Jess makes sense.. once again.. welome home jess :) <3 +1

[quote name='MichaelLCP' timestamp='1329538598' post='539389']
Well your tank must be fucking huge. Because gas hasn't even been that bad. There is always something for americans to be angry about it. Maybe we should be thankful, and not complain about gas prices. Be thankful that you can even drive a car. Be thankful that you live in America where you can live as a free citizen and not have to live with war in your own home. Don't like how the country is run? Don't like that gas is a tiny bit expensive? Move to another country.
[/quote]

Good ol' Michael, still stirrin' up trouble... ;)

Back on topic, my 2003 stock Chevy Silverado takes anywhere from 75-95. It's shitty, yeah, but I only drive to work and back home on occasion, so my gas damage monthly is really only 100-120 a month. Good livin' over here!

I just put $71 in my Pathfinder. It is what it is. If gas prices get so bad that I can't afford it, I'll change cars or driving habits.

With that being said, I think I am spending about the same amount every month on gas for that car as I am for the car payment. That sucks, but again, what am going to do about it?

You guys are talking about 1950's gas prices. In the mid 90's, a couple of gas stations in town got into a price war and prices got down to around 50¢/gal. I was driving just to drive.

As far as hydrogen and electric, there are quite a few people invested in oil. If alternative fuel cars become a reality before every last drop of oil has been drilled and pumped, these people who have invested in oil will be leaving cash buried in the ground. Doesn't it make sense for them to do anything they can to extend the use of oil?

The technology for hydrogen powered cars exist right now, the problem is where do you go to fill up? There are virtually no filling stations that provide hydrogen. Now, if you own a gas station, why not put in some hydrogen pumps? Because who's going to buy it? Nobody has hydrogen cars, because there's no way to get the tank filled. So which is going to come first, the chicken or the egg?

Hybrid cars are stupid in my opinion, but they are a stepping stone on the way to other options. The problem is that we aren't going to take step until we are forced to.

Look at europeans, their price per liter is about what our price per gallon is and they haven't jumped onto the next technology yet. What's it gonna take? $15/gal? $25/gal?

We will keep paying the price for gas, what ever it is, until the last oil well is dry. We will drive vans and car pool and hypermile and do whatever it takes to keep driving, but we will cling to gas as long as we can.

God knows we won't ride the bus or subway. Edited by Skoozle