We always had an electric coil stove top and it was very easy for lighting our natural coals. Then 2 days ago my husband & I got a BRAND NEW GLASS TOP STOVE!! I was SO psyched until we went to light coals today and couldn't quite figure out how we were gonna do it. We went online and read through about 50 forums that all said DO NOT put the coals on the glass and to just put them in an old pan or go buy a coil heater from Walmart for $15. We tried the pan idea first- it filled our house with horrible smoke and (obviously) we can never use that pan again. We were getting ready to head out to Walmart when I thought of something that was never suggested- a cookie cooling rack. We put it over the stove, placed the coals on top, and I sat and watched them VERY carefully for any signs that they might ruin our new stove.
The coals lit as PERFECTLY as they did with our old stove and even the *tiny* pieces of ash that fell through left absolutely NO residue on the glass top. I wanted to share this $3 idea with everyone else before they go out and spend more than they need to :)[attachment=5710:DSCN0141.JPG]

Interesting, how Long did it take total to light them?

(null)

nice idea. Dose the cooking rack get really hot? Also i think it would probably be better for your stove to just get a coil burner from wallgreens . The stove looks awesome by the way

I'd be very cautious about coal residue. I know you said it came right off, but there's still going to be bit of it. Can't be too careful...

now i know people say not to do it i have done it a couple times with no issues though idk maybe it was just we had good luck but yah i did it at a buddys place just directly on the stove no problems but that is a good idea smart thinking

what about turning the cookie rack upside down? my buddy used to light coconut coals on his glass-top stove all the time in college with no ill-effect other than scuffing the glass (i wouldn't do it).

i have a glass stove top, too, but i think i'll just stick with a coil burner every other year or so. unless this lights the coals super quickly without any downside.

• 2 weeks later...
We've been doing this for about 3 weeks now and it still works AMAZINGLY with NO residue! :)
Also- they take anywhere from 5-10 mins to light & stay, and the rack only gets hot where the coals are.

Yeah, I've scratched the hell out of my parent's glass top stove with my hookah habit (3 coconaras every time I smoke, at least twice a day). They are understandably angry.

You could try putting an oven mitt or something heat resistant on each side of the cookie rack to prop it up so you don’t have to worry about accidentally scratching it. I would imagine it would still be low enough to heat up fast.

[quote name='Blakefox' timestamp='1327539477' post='536656']
You could try putting an oven mitt or something heat resistant on each side of the cookie rack to prop it up so you don’t have to worry about accidentally scratching it. I would imagine it would still be low enough to heat up fast.
[/quote]

Or get those small round silicone pot holders. That would work perfectly IMO.