How To Pack Tangiers

MichaelLCP

you actually did the foil test without the foil.

nice picture quality on the video. the tobacco looks very defined and you can kinda tell how dense it is just by sight. Edited by Arcane

Extremely detailed in such a short time, one thing all too rare in most videos. Pretty much every issue I have had in the past would have been avoided watching this. I am glad you brought up the point about the foil going down over the spire something easily remedied but seems to be a common problem. I learned to pack from an older member (foibledagain) who is probably the most knowledgeable person I have ever come in contact with and his technique is suprsingly similar. The best session I have ever had was with a bowl he packed.

Currently smoking a bowl of Kashmir guava packed using this technique and it definitely tops how I was packing it previously, which is weird because I always packed using an oyster fork, but yes, the tip about putting your bowl in the container and then packing it using the fork seems to have made a lot of difference!!

Thanks man!

Excellent video how-to. I do the palm test too these days instead of the foil test. I feel it allows you to get a better "feel" of how tight it is. Also keeps the foil from getting messy. I use oyster fork to poke holes- glad you mentioned it needs to be sharpened first. I would redo my video to show how I do it now, but you cover everything so well. And I'm always changing up how I do mine anyway.

But yes, huge props to you for an excellent how-to that made sure to mention all the important stuff! (how tight it should be, mentioning the different methods people use, etc.)

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1314987002' post='522376']
Excellent video how-to. I do the palm test too these days instead of the foil test. I feel it allows you to get a better "feel" of how tight it is. Also keeps the foil from getting messy. I use oyster fork to poke holes- glad you mentioned it needs to be sharpened first. I would redo my video to show how I do it now, but you cover everything so well. And I'm always changing up how I do mine anyway.

But yes, huge props to you for an excellent how-to that made sure to mention all the important stuff! (how tight it should be, mentioning the different methods people use, etc.)
[/quote]
Thanks man. :)

• 3 months later...
[quote name='DrSmokes' timestamp='1325015136' post='533940']
Sorry for a bump but this was the only thread I could find that mentioned sharpening the oyster fork. How do you go about doing that?
[/quote]

Just take a knife sharpening stone (or some other type of sharpener, that's just what I have) and work at the tips of the fork until they are sharp points. Then no more tearing of the foil!

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1325025137' post='533948']
Sorry for a bump but this was the only thread I could find that mentioned sharpening the oyster fork. How do you go about doing that?
[/quote]

Just take a knife sharpening stone (or some other type of sharpener, that's just what I have) and work at the tips of the fork until they are sharp points. Then no more tearing of the foil!
[/quote]

Yup. This ^. Im sure sandpaper would work well too.

[quote name='MichaelLCP' timestamp='1325025661' post='533950']
[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1325025137' post='533948']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yup. This ^. Im sure sandpaper would work well too.
[/quote]
I used a nail file from a nail clipper
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='mattarios2' timestamp='1325198445' post='534137']
Maybe I'll give it one more go round. It is winter here so who knows, maybe acclimation won't be such a problem for me.
[/quote]

I find acclimation is easiest when the weather is the most stable. For example, middle of summer when it's consistently hot or middle of winter when it's consistently cold. I have a good bit more trouble during spring and fall here in TN when it could be 30 degrees one day and then 80 the next. Damn global warming!