Tangier's Official Thread.

mushrat

[quote name='king_lunchb0x' timestamp='1318130136' post='527173']
[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1318126185' post='527168']
Congrats, Smokes!

Another one has been converted... ;)
[/quote]

soon their will be none left to convert.(insert evil laugh)
[/quote]
muahahahaha.

nice thread. heres a vid i made on how i pack tang noir. its pretty long... but it has plenty of details for those who need a little more visuals.
http://youtu.be/xDbuWkL-c9k
im from Louisville, KY and the only thing that i have ever acclimated is noir pineapple and noir peach ice tea. everything else has been perfect right out of the bag. i got lucky :D

Alex Edited by glider
  • Upvote 1

So I wanted to tell a lil story.

This last order that I made, that came it last Friday, I had made sure purchase a few Tangiers to try out and also bought a few Starbuzz since that's what I've been use to. I smoked 2 bowls of Tangiers since Friday and right now am smoking my Starbuzz...

Wow! The difference. The flavor comparison...that's not even the right word bc there is no comparison. It could be that I'm smoking Pirates Cove, but that use to be the fall back flavor we would always go to bc we loved it. Tastes bland compared to Tangiers.

Now...I can't wait to give my Tropical Revenge and try to compare the 2 brands' fruity flavors. Bc as of right now, I've only done Chocolate Cherry from Tangiers so the flavors are not the same but the amount of flavor is superior thus far.
  • Upvote 1

Nice... yeah Tangiers is the best.

Last night I smoked Cocoa Noir. OMG it was good... huge clouds, huge flavors... I enjoyed it til the very end. I'd probably end up putting that in my top 5. Highly recommend... plus it made my place smell like a tootsie roll :)

[quote name='Coyote' timestamp='1318522281' post='527612']
Nice... yeah Tangiers is the best.

Last night I smoked Cocoa Noir. OMG it was good... huge clouds, huge flavors... I enjoyed it til the very end. I'd probably end up putting that in my top 5. Highly recommend... plus it made my place smell like a tootsie roll :)
[/quote]
I'm smoking the Lucid Cocoa right now....MMMMMMM tasty.

• 3 weeks later...
Hope that it's ok I'm posting this in this section but I am requesting some Tangiers help. I fired up a bowl of blue bubblegum on friday night. I was using the Tangier's medium phunnel, Nammor hose, MYA Staff hookah, water/ice combo in the base with 2 Cocomazanas on the bowl at 9 and 3 o'clock. Started out smoking very nice, but quickly turned harsh, where I couldn't take full pulls any more. I didn't have them hanging over the edges of the bowl, I had them fully seated on the foil. I ashed them and slightly moved them counter clockwise, but it stayed harsh. Do you think it was my packing method. I modeled my packing after Chris's video on how to pack the Tangiers phunnel. Any help would be appreciated. And to the mods, if this needs to be moved, please do.

Its actually not a pain at all. 1 out of every 10 needs acclimation, and if it needs acclimation you smoke a different flavor. its not hard to pack. its not hard to manage. its not hard to smoke. people just make it a bigger deal than it is. its tobacco. you smoke it.

[quote name='Zildjian' timestamp='1320328429' post='530085']
Its actually not a pain at all. its not hard to pack. its not hard to manage. its not hard to smoke. people just make it a bigger deal than it is. its tobacco. you smoke it.
[/quote]

While I personally am a Tangiers fan, I must disagree with your statement. Otherwise, why would Tangiers need so many "how-to" video's showing others and newbies how to get it going. I wouldn't say it's a pain, but it can be tricky/frustrating at times.

It's not a pain, [b][u]it's just different.[/u][/b] than all other tobaccos in it's preparation, and even though it sometimes lacks the convenience of simply taking it out of the packet and smoking it right away, the appeal lies in it's robust, natural, complex flavours that are either not available in other brands or are way better in tangiers.

Add in thick clouds and long lasting sessions and you have your answer.

First things first:

[quote name='ChicagoRSX' timestamp='1319999233' post='529467']
Hope that it's ok I'm posting this in this section but I am requesting some Tangiers help. I fired up a bowl of blue bubblegum on friday night. I was using the Tangier's medium phunnel, Nammor hose, MYA Staff hookah, water/ice combo in the base with 2 Cocomazanas on the bowl at [b]9 and 3 o'clock[/b]. [b]Started out smoking very nice, but quickly turned harsh, where I couldn't take full pulls any more.[/b] I didn't have them hanging over the edges of the bowl, I had them [b]fully seated on the foil.[/b] I ashed them and slightly moved them counter clockwise, but it stayed harsh. [b]Do you think it was my packing method[/b]. I modeled my packing after Chris's video on how to pack the Tangiers phunnel. Any help would be appreciated. And to the mods, if this needs to be moved, please do.
[/quote]

There are a few common causes for thick harsh smoke. 1) Packing Method, 2) Foil hole pattern, and 3) Heat Management

1) Packing- You may be overpacking your bowl. Signs of overpacking include: streamers of juice coming down the sides (even a perfect pack may give you a few streamers but there shouldn't be THAT many),coals sticking to foil, off taste to gross sourish or metallic taste, juices bubbling up through the foil holes...

2) Foil Holes- Try plenty of BIG holes in the foil. Bigger holes aim to relieve the excess build up of heat to the tobacco when you are not pulling. If for example, you used tiny holes, when you are not pulling air through the bowl, the coal will heat the foil up, trap heat in the bowl, and burn your tobacco.With the bigger holes, less heat is built up on the foil because there is less area of foil to heat... so the temperature between pulling and not pulling is more constant.

3) Heat Management- It takes approximately 15-20 minute for the bowl to warm up. If you add your heat and immediately have thick clouds and full flavor the probability that you will scorch your tobacco within 20minutes is high because the heat of the ceramic is still coming to up to temperature. It is generally advised to start with a lower heat and wait 20 minutes. Some people like to have their thunderclouds and full flavor immediately so they start with lower heat, add a windcover, and then remove the windcover right before the bowl starts to overheat (noticing that point takes some practice). Other people, just wait and allow the flavor to develop. Some people will start with more heat from coals then remove a coal when it starts to overheat.

Start your coals toward the center and gradually outward toward the edges.

You may want to switch your starting position from 9o'clock/3o'clock to 6o'clock/12o'clock.

On another note, I wouldn't advise putting ice in the vase. Ice cools the vapor and the particles condense and get stuck in the base without coming up through the tube. Once you have a packing technique down that works for you then your clouds will be billowy and smooth so there is no need for ice.

Hope that helps. Let me know how your next pack goes and if you have any more questions then we can go back to the drawing board.

[img]http://www.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/wile-e-coyote.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Coyote' timestamp='1320347381' post='530119']

You may want to switch your starting position from 9o'clock/3o'clock to 6o'clock/12o'clock.
[/quote]
I'm using a crown bowl and I always thought we should start on the edges and work around the edge? The only time I ever go "in" is just laying my CCNflats flat.

[quote name='DrSmokes' timestamp='1320356761' post='530162']

[/quote]
I'm using a crown bowl and I always thought we should start on the edges and work around the edge? The only time I ever go "in" is just laying my CCNflats flat.
[/quote]

How is 9/3 any different than 6/12, I feel like I am taking crazy pills here.

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1320372361' post='530192']

[/quote]
[/quote]

How is 9/3 any different than 6/12, I feel like I am taking crazy pills here.
[/quote]

just making sure someone was paying attention ;)

[/quote]
[/quote]

Heat dissipates quicker from the outside edges of the bowl. If you start your coals around the center spire, the tobacco will heat from the center and help the outside stay warmer as the bowl is smoked. If you start the coals on the outside edge, the bowl will have a hard time holding a constant temperature because it is losing heat from the outside.

• 2 months later...
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][center][color=#B22222][size=5][font=tahoma][b]Tangiers Tobacco and Chronic Hookah Natural Coals Now Available[/b][/font][/size][/color][/center][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][center]
[color=#B22222][size=3][b]at[/b][/size][/color][/center][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][center]
[color=#FF8C00][font=tahoma][size=3][b][size=5]Synergy Smoke Shop[/size][/b][/size][/font][/color][/center][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][center][color=#000080][font=tahoma][size=5][b]16025 Gale Ave
Ste B4
Industry, CA 91745[/b][/size][/font][/color][/center][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][center][color=#333333][font=tahoma][size=3][b]**For a limited time only, mention HF and your Tangiers is only $12.99 for each 250g pack and each box of CH Nats will be discounted to $10.**[/b][/size][/font][/color][/center][/font][/color]

[center][b][color=black]Tangiers Meet-up[/color][/b][/center]
[center][size=4][color=#333333][font=tahoma][b][color=black]Ice and Fire Hookah Lounge in NYC [/color][/b][/font][/color][/size][/center]
[center][size=4][color=#333333][font=tahoma][b][color=black]Saturday January 28th[/color][/b][/font][/color][/size][/center]

[center][b]331 Oak St[/b][/center]
[center][b][font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][size=3]Uniondale[/size][/font][/b][b][font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][size=3], [/size][/font][/b][b][font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][size=3]NY[/size][/font][/b][/center]
[center][b][font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][size=3]11553[/size][/font][/b][/center]
[center][b]Time: NIght time, Exact time TBA[/b][/center]

[center][color=black][font=tahoma][size=3][b]Ice and Fire will be serving up plenty of bowls of Tangiers. You can bring your own food and alcohol/beverages. More details are being ironed out. Please let us know if you are planning to come so we can reserve spaces all together :)[/b][/size][/font][/color][/center]