Problem With Smoke From My Km

I recently ordered a KM Pharonie with a Jumbo base.
Despite what everyone says, the smoke I get from my km is not thick at all.

I've tried different grommets for every area, even using the wet paper towel method for the bowl and the hose so there would be no leaks. But the smoke was still very thin.

I've even very closely examined by pipe for cracks and such but cannot find any.

It can't be my packing, i've packed this way for the past 1.5 years and NEVER had a problem with getting thick clouds.

Now, I'm stuck, theres nothing else I can find that might be the reason for the thin smoke.

Can anyone give me some tips on what to look for or what might be cause my km to produce thin clouds?

P.S. Can it be due to the water level in the base? I always put the stem about an inch into the water but the area where the smoke lingers in the base while not pulling is huge due to the size of the base.

Thanks in advance!

Im no expert for KM's but a few ideas
1.check the purge valve
2. check if it leaks air with the following method:
fill the vase, put stem and hose on, put your hand on the top of the stem and draw air
you should feel if air is coming in from somewhere
you also try this with the bowl on to see if its also air thight
3. check if your tobacco is dry
4. try more heat

if all these fail

5. wait for the hookah maniacs here to respond

try experimenting with more packing styles. are you using the same bowl you always use or the one that came with it?
also, try using a different hose, just in case the one that came with it is bad
with my km i got a somewhat shallow and wide bowl. make sure you are packing it with enough tobacco, also experiment with more heat.
based on how you've covered all your bases on checking the hookah, just try different packing techniques/heating management. it is the only variable in this situation, really, cause the amount of water doesn't need to be that precise.

try some new styles, and come back here, and if it still doesn't work, we'll try and help ya.

i've been using the standard bowl that comes with most myas since i have an abundance of them. I'll try using the wider, more shallow egyptian bowl my KM came with sometime tonight or tomorrow. i'll also try using my phunnel.

I know it isn't the hose because I've use this hose exclusively for a week with my mya QT while on vacation which it worked amazingly. The hose i use is the wide handle mya hose if that means anything.

I've packed bowls and put them on my QT or a friend's hookah which have smoked great which leads me to believe it isnt the packing.

And as for heat management, I've used up to 3 CCNs which just leads to scorching and a harsh smoke.

I'll check again for leaks using The Jesters method and try switching the bowl around.

Thanks for the help and any other advice would be appreciated as well

use the leak-test method described above. Switch to a high-yield tobacco that's capable of thunderhead-sized clouds. pick the appropriate bowl for that tobacco. Invest in a wide-bore hose; the mya wides are still restrictive compared to say, Nammors, Razans, or the narbish.

honestly, if you are setting it up just like you would a mya with the same bowl and bowl pack, it should be smoking...we put mya bowls from my roommate's multihose onto my KM all the time and no smoking problems.

maybe you got a defective pipe? after running the tests, if its still not right, I'd contact the vendor and try to get a replacement or refund

I'd go through a thorough leak test....

also, set up the KM and try it out. if it isn't smoking right, take exact same bowl and hose and put it in the Mya. if it smokes right, then there's a leak somewhere.

might want to take the coals off the bowl prior to moving until...unless you're awesome.

[quote name='cotsi95' timestamp='1297554133' post='497751']
Try more water. I had a similar problem when I first got my jumbo BOHO. I usually use 1.5-2 inches of water now since there is sooo much space in the vase.
[/quote]

Dammit Wade you beat me to it.

Water level, leak test like Arcane said.

Try more water. I had a similar problem when I first got my jumbo BOHO. I usually use 1.5-2 inches of water now since there is sooo much space in the vase.
[/quote]

Did this help fix the problem?

Can anyone explain to me how the water level can affect the smoke this much?

And I'll definitely do a leak test asap.

Thanks.

[quote name='bdot' timestamp='1297588683' post='497790']
[/quote]

Did this help fix the problem?

Can anyone explain to me how the water level can affect the smoke this much?

And I'll definitely do a leak test asap.

Thanks.
[/quote]

i would also like to know how water level does anything... instinct would say more water=harder draw=pointless method. i dont see how the whole less time for the smoke to fill the base equals more smoke thing works.... smoke is replaced by smoke in the vase. sure. itll give you peak clouds faster... but it would be more difficult to draw. i can honestly wait the extra 20secs for my vase to be filled than have an entire session of a hard draw.

did i even make sense?

Alex

look at holes and watch out for this:

i bought a temsah that had an internal leak. there was a leak in the tubing in the purge, so that when i would draw, it would pull air from inside the stem. yeah, i thought they were solid brass, but i guess they're just really thick, and not all welded that well.

So last night, I did the leak test and couldn't find anything.

However, I added more water to the base and now it smokes great. I still don't fully understan the concept with adding more water but I'm just glad my problem is resolved.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out!