Review Forum Permissions

magick777

This is a separate issue to the request for more demarcation of reviews subforums, hence the separate thread. It is a minor annoyance that under the present arrangement, I am unable to post a new topic in the review section and am obliged to ask a mod to do so. Admittedly this system works well, and the requests for new threads that I have made have been answered promptly, but it feels like a needless formality in seeking permission to speak.

Which leads me to a question. Given that we are quite free and easy about giving users an unsolicited vacation for the slightest breach of the clearly stated forum rules... why can we not then make rules about how to use the review forums, expect users to comply with them, and give users the freedom (and of course the responsibility) to start their own topics? I appreciate that relaxing this policy might lead to one or two misplaced / duplicate topics; but I also think it might lead to far more contributions from users.

So... why is this set up the way it is... and is this really easier/better for the moderators or the users than opening it up subject to clear rules on proper use?

It's definitely set up the way it is for a reason... Keeps things clean, makes it less likely for people to post non-review comments there, and also lets us make sure there's no duplicates. Mush can probably go into further detail.

[quote name='magick777' timestamp='1295229664' post='494594']
This is a separate issue to the request for more demarcation of reviews subforums, hence the separate thread. It is a minor annoyance that under the present arrangement, I am unable to post a new topic in the review section and am obliged to ask a mod to do so. Admittedly this system works well, and the requests for new threads that I have made have been answered promptly, but it feels like a needless formality in seeking permission to speak.

Which leads me to a question. Given that we are quite free and easy about giving users an unsolicited vacation for the slightest breach of the clearly stated forum rules... why can we not then make rules about how to use the review forums, expect users to comply with them, and give users the freedom (and of course the responsibility) to start their own topics? I appreciate that relaxing this policy might lead to one or two misplaced / duplicate topics; but I also think it might lead to far more contributions from users.

So... why is this set up the way it is... and is this really easier/better for the moderators or the users than opening it up subject to clear rules on proper use?

[/quote]

1) because it prevents someone from opening a topic to promote their wares
2) avoids duplicate topics
3) lessens the opportunity for bans because people broke advertising rules

if you take away the ammunition, you can prevent someone from shooting themselves in the foot....just give it a damn rest already....

and if you're too lazy to request for a thread, should you really be given the privilege to start new topics?

[quote name='mushrat' timestamp='1295699739' post='495335']
What they said.

If you state the system works, why change it?
[/quote]
If it aint broke dont fix it,but there is always room for improvement, Aside form the possibility of spam the forum config can be set to set new topics as pending and then a moderator can then pass or deny new topics .