Recommend A First Hookah And Supplies

Great forums you have here!

Brand new to Hookah, I haven't even tried it yet (love cigars though). but I anticipate that it will be my new addiction and love affair. Ill find out this week for certain, when my friend brings his to work...

So, with that -- I was checking out the reviews section to try and figure out what might be a nice starter hookah. I def dont want/cant spend a lot, since I already have some expensive hobbies. (Harley / Jeep and a few others + family) Im Looking to spend ~$50 or Less for the hookah. I did buy some Al Waha Strawberry and a Sleeve of Three Kings coals. So I at least have something ready and waiting for the hookah =)

I was checking out the review section... these two hookahs seemed to to get good reviews:

Mya QT
Smileys $15 Hookah
I was also looking at the HoboNargile

I cant really have anything big (kid, dogs, wife etc...) so something I can pop on a shelf or in a case of some sort would be great. I probably will be smoking solo 99% of the time anyway (so I only need a single banger). I however dont want a total piece of shit. ;-)

Is the Smiley $15 Hookah still available? I couldn't find a site or any other info on it. That would probably be my first choice based on the reviews.

Any other recommendations for small well made hookahs? Any other suggestions in general would be great as well.

Thanks!

withoutink

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome! I say go with the QT too, or if you're worried about it getting knocked around, a Mya acrylic. Mushrat (the side admin) ran a hookah lounge using QTs so they're def not just a toy.

Throw away your quick light coals and either get some Coconaras or other natural coals from various vendors, or CH coals from Hookahjohn (we're not allowed to say the full name on here but the acronym CH is fine). 3 Kings is the best of the just hold a lighter up to them quick lights, but they're generally not very good

Never had Al-Waha strawberry....it seems HF's favorite tobaccos are (in no particular order) Nakhla (regular and Mizo), Tangiers, Al-Fakher, Social Smoke, and to some, Starbuzz.

welcome to the forums

Gonna break the trend and recomend a small maddy zaiden if you look around you can find them for about $45-$50
Also a washable hose is a nice thing to get...there all pretty equal IMO
And natural coals not quik lights

Also beeing a cigar smoker you should deff check out some of the unflavored hookah tobaccos like Al Fakher soft black/Nakhla zaghoul,khan el khalili / salloum plain / Desi Murli Plain

i saw qt. i have some friends with them and have smoked them at hookah bars and they were all great sessions

I'd go with the mya. I have a small mya and it's been great. As far as shisha, you can't really go wrong with nakhla...

Thanks for the input ;-)

If I go the Mya QT Route - is there any other recommended add ons I need to think about? I read that the ash try sucks, it seemed to be the only negative I could find. Also, should I look for a small phunnel (SP?) or just use the bowl that comes with?

Thanks

[quote name='withoutink' date='16 August 2010 - 07:46 AM' timestamp='1281962801' post='479124']
Thanks for the input ;-)

If I go the Mya QT Route - is there any other recommended add ons I need to think about? I read that the ash try sucks, it seemed to be the only negative I could find. Also, should I look for a small phunnel (SP?) or just use the bowl that comes with?

Thanks
[/quote]

The tray IS small, but it's not that big of a deal.
If you're looking to get serious, get a phunnel. But, since you've never tried hookah, maybe you should hold off on that until you find out you like it.
The standard mya bowl isn't the greatest, but it will get you some decent sessions.

I have the QT and it is the only pipe I need. I live in an apartment and can easily put it on the shelf when I am not smoking. I only use the tray to hold the wind cover. I use the coal carrier to ash my coals.
Ray

Thanks guys.

Do, I need to worry about the hose that comes with the Mya QT?
If so what would you recommend going with?

[quote name='withoutink' date='16 August 2010 - 06:10 PM' timestamp='1282007426' post='479206']
Thanks guys.

Do, I need to worry about the hose that comes with the Mya QT?
If so what would you recommend going with?
[/quote]

eventually it will rust and you will need a new one, I would get a washable hose along the lines of a nammor, razan, narbish...etc

regardless i would upgrade hoses, the mya will rust no matter what you do, ? maybe it is because i live near the beach but I have a mya hose i never smoked from that is rusty. Also the draw is pretty restricted. You might want to find out if hookah is for you before you make the upgrade.

After using the wide gauge hoses, whether washable or not, I find the stock Mya hoses to be very frustratingly narrow. The Mya wides are a lot better, but not as good as a Razan/Narbish/KM/etc hose. But yeah don't wash the Mya and you'll be OK

thanks guys, my buddy is bringing his hookah tomorrow to work. im gonna do a session with it at lunch and then take it home for a couple days. then if i dig everything, i have everything ready to order... im just getting all my ducks in a row. ;-)

Great advice everyone - I really appreciate everything.

[quote name='withoutink' date='16 August 2010 - 08:52 PM' timestamp='1282009960' post='479220']
oh he is bringing a tub of tangiers spearmint
[/quote]

Ooo, sounds nice!

On my QT, I had a small Nammor hose and a small Tangiers phunnel. Perfect setup, IMO.

i asked him about a phunnel he said wait to get used to it first, but put it on my short list as well. ;-)

[quote name='withoutink' date='16 August 2010 - 08:56 PM' timestamp='1282010185' post='479224']
i asked him about a phunnel he said wait to get used to it first, but put it on my short list as well. ;-)
[/quote]

Probably best. You only really need one if you plan on smoking Tangiers. But it works great for any other shisha. My two favorite bowls are my Tangiers mini phunnel and my Egyptian bowl.

I am a huge fan of my hookah john alien mini phunnel. It really conserves shisha as it holds only about 20g packed, smokes like a champ, and I can still get 2 hours out of a bowl of tangiers, an hour fifteen out of nakhla, and 50 minutes from AF and the like. Id recommend one highly, or a small phunnel if you want more capacity. And a nammor or narbish on the shortlist also.

Im hitting the hookah for the first time ever tonight =)

buddy brought in his hobohookah v1 and some tangiers spearmint. i just cleaned the hookah but the tangiers hasnt been opened yet, so not sure if i can use it tonight as it hasnt been acclimated yet.

Ill use the al waha strawberry instead. I will make certain to report back later