Recommend A First Hookah And Supplies

Yeah man, I strongly recommend the Tangiers phunnels over the HJ Alien phunnel. I owned a HJ Alien and compared to my Tangiers Mini Phunnel (which are no longer available) and also compared to my Tangiers Small Phunnel, the Alien just doesn't smoke that well. Here's what I wrote about it compared to the Tangiers Mini, taken from another thread:

"Well.... I tried it out... My Mini and the Alien... and the Mini beats it, hands down. I blame the shallowness of the bowl. Mini wins in cloudage. Obviously Mini wins in endurance... In one round of coals, you'll have completely cashed the Alien pretty much. But this is a reason for the Alien... for short smokes, which it performs pretty good at. That was the reason it was designed, after all. I can do two rounds of coals on my Mini and flavor's still there. It actually takes two to three rounds to cash the Mini. I don't know... The Alien seems to be more finicky, and I think it's because it's shallow/wide. I prefer my Tang Mini and Small to to it. But I will give it credit for a good short session... which was it's purpose in the first place. I'd rather just use my Mini instead though and if I don't go two rounds of coals, so what. Tad bit of sheesh left in the bowl doesn't bother me that much. I'd rather get nice full big clouds and more flavor, for longer. Eric designed the phunnels as deep and wide as they are for a purpose.... that's what makes them smoke right, and best. This is the main reason if I recall correctly that he discontinued the Mini... it didn't perform to his standards. But it performs well enough for me, and better than the Alien. So for me, I'm all about the Tangiers phunnel bowls."

I'd also like to note that my Small performs better than the Mini, so yeah... I think everyone should have a good Small in their arsenal of smoking components.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread has been very helpful not only to the OP, but to me as well. So, thanks guys, for helping this guy and me, too. =]

Well, I got both my orders today...

Mya QT
Mya Adapter w/Autoseal
Nammor Hose
Alien Bowl
Romman Shisha x2
Tangiers Shisha x2

I set the hookah up, cleaned the Nammor, bowl and base with lemon juice and water. I let the Tangiers ITLTBC shisha aclimate for a couple hours. Soon as the wife gets home Im going to pack the mini alien and smoke it up.

I can tell I need to buy better tongs, an oyster fork, one more Mya Adapter w/Autoseal and a small tangiers phunnel for my next order. Plus more coals... not certain which ones Ill buy. Maybe CH / AF or Startlight Nats.