Getting A Headache From Smoking Hookah

I was smoking the rootbeer float flavor by Epic Smoke out of my hookah. It was a phunnel bowl. I was getting massive clouds but I soon got a headache. This tobacco has a lot of molasses and it was dripping from the containter that it came in. Flavor wasn't that great but I was getting good clouds. How do I prevent from getting headaches from smoking hookah and has anybody ever used the heba diffuser? I bought mine on the internet and it comes in the mail on friday.

happy smoking,

Greg

[quote name='cloudmaster89' date='08 July 2010 - 02:00 AM' timestamp='1278568802' post='474368']
I was smoking the rootbeer float flavor by Epic Smoke out of my hookah. It was a phunnel bowl. I was getting massive clouds but I soon got a headache. This tobacco has a lot of molasses and it was dripping from the containter that it came in. Flavor wasn't that great but I was getting good clouds. How do I prevent from getting headaches from smoking hookah and has anybody ever used the heba diffuser? I bought mine on the internet and it comes in the mail on friday.

happy smoking,

Greg
[/quote]

This would happen to me when I first started smoking because I would take several pulls in a row with little breaks. People say it is usually a result of nicotine poisoning and possibly the lack of oxygen. Now I usually have a glass of water, a bit of food, and take a little more time in between pulls. Try it out and I hope it helps.

It sounds like Carbon Monoxide poisoning. You should always be hydrated when you smoke and don't smoke on an empty stomach ever! Especially if you are new to hookah and smoking alone. It is nothing to worry about and it won't happen again if you drink something while you smoke or before you smoke.

just drink like six beers while you smoke that's what i do HAHA

....no but seriously don't smoke on an empty stomach and hydrate. Also try different coals, if you're using quicklights get 3 kings, if you're using naturals get cocos or CH naturals.

Few things.

It's Honey and Glycerin not Molasses in Epic.

One of my small gripes about Epic and most shishas no one puts production dates on any more.
Epic uses Zero Preservatives. Look around everyone else does. So if that stuff is more than 6 months old, Giant Clouds and No Flavor is common.

Headaches, will first like others have said Hydrate, and pack more tobacco if you have too little tobacco in a bowl not much is cooking so you pull down almost equal amounts of CO and Smoke which will give you massive headaches, instead of mostly smoke.

I like Heba Diffusers but I only use them on my Mya Saray Hookahs.

[quote name='Stuie' date='09 July 2010 - 01:43 PM' timestamp='1278704623' post='474560']
Few things.

One of my small gripes about Epic and most shishas no one puts production dates on any more.
Epic uses Zero Preservatives. Look around everyone else does. So if that stuff is more than 6 months old, Giant Clouds and No Flavor is common.

Headaches, will first like others have said Hydrate, and pack more tobacco if you have too little tobacco in a bowl not much is cooking so you pull down almost equal amounts of CO and Smoke which will give you massive headaches, instead of mostly smoke.

[/quote]

Agreed on the dehydration, also, a bad headache that lasts for hours I have found means I'm smoking burnt to shit shisha...dangerous, has screwed up my motor functions before. Make sure to vent out a room / living room every hour or so as well.

Headache = change bowls, or hydrate or both.

[quote name='cloudmaster89' date='08 July 2010 - 02:00 AM' timestamp='1278568802' post='474368']

happy smoking,

Greg
[/quote]

Lighter pulls and less frequency will help. Don't overdo it. Advil and water is the cure for me when I got to aggressive (80 year old Bingo Woman ;-) although I don't get them anymore.

I used to get really bad headaches as well, once I switched to natural coals (coco's for me) the headaches went away. Also I always have massive amounts of water with me hope it helps : )

This usually happens to me when I smoke during my lunch break. I'm generally in too much of a hurry and don't pace myself. This is why it's generally better to smoke with someone else (you tend to get more time to breath during the hose rotation)

But like others have said, try to get hydrated well in advance of your session and eat a little food. That should help tremendously.

[quote name='Stuie' date='09 July 2010 - 02:43 PM' timestamp='1278704623' post='474560']
Few things.

[/quote]
I thought Epic had a high water content...I had two jars a long time ago and they were sitting in a pool, thought it was water, but maybe you are right, maybe it was glycerine instead of water. I remember that stuff did get some really good clouds going, but the flavor lasted an entire 2 min before it gave out.

As far as the headaches, I know that I and a lot of other people get headaches from smoking shisha with dye in it. I used to only smoke Layalina, then found out they use a shit load of dye and that the dye causes headaches...I switched to Tangiers Lucid, and the headaches went down dramatically, then I started drinking a lot of fluids and they went down even more. Now I just don't smoke anymore and the headaches have gone down a lot more [img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/pardon.gif[/img]

Whenever I used to get headaches, it was because I was trying to get huge gigantic clouds, filling my lungs to their limit, over and over. Like others have said, smoking on an empty stomach or when dehydrated is a no-no.