Anyone Have Any Pics Of Their Using Electrical Tape On The Stems Of Their Hookahs?

So I have a KM with the whole leaning issue and essentially everyone has suggested using electrical tape to stop the infamous lean from happening but I can't seem to find any pics of the mod. Do you any of you happen to have a few? I just want to make sure I get this right.

Cheers

I personally prefer duct tape because with electrical tape eventually the gooey glue starts to get on your hands and then it gets all over everything you touch and is a biznatch to get that stuff off.

Like already stated, just wrap it around the gasket when the gasket is already on the stem. Just wrap a little try it on the vase, see if it has a snug fit, if not keep adding until it is snug.

yep, I tape around the grommet, why get nasty glue crap all over the stem? And if water makes it way past the tape over time, you have to take the tape off, dry it, then re tape it. I'd rather tape over the grommet, and be able to pull the grommet on and off, and not get glue all over the bottom of the heart.

[quote name='mattarios2' date='06 February 2010 - 02:15 PM' timestamp='1265487333' post='450091']
yep, I tape around the grommet, why get nasty glue crap all over the stem? And if water makes it way past the tape over time, you have to take the tape off, dry it, then re tape it. I'd rather tape over the grommet, and be able to pull the grommet on and off, and [b]not get glue all over the bottom of the heart.[/b]
[/quote]

Word.

[quote name='INCUBUSRATM' date='06 February 2010 - 07:22 PM' timestamp='1265512933' post='450140']
[quote name='mattarios2' date='06 February 2010 - 02:15 PM' timestamp='1265487333' post='450091']
yep, I tape around the [b]grommet[/b], why get nasty glue crap all over the stem? And if water makes it way past the tape over time, you have to take the tape off, dry it, then re tape it. I'd rather tape over the [b]grommet[/b], and be able to pull the [b]grommet[/b] on and off, and not get glue all over the bottom of the heart.
[/quote]

Wrong Word.
[/quote]

Fixed that for ya.

On Myas that have this problem I do it on the stem.

One of my KMs came with masking tape on the stem under the gasket.

I think on the stem under the gasket prevents the gooeyness issue.

[quote name='Its_A_Gasket' date='06 February 2010 - 10:29 PM' timestamp='1265516999' post='450149']
[quote name='INCUBUSRATM' date='06 February 2010 - 07:22 PM' timestamp='1265512933' post='450140']
yep, I tape around the [b]grommet[/b], why get nasty glue crap all over the stem? And if water makes it way past the tape over time, you have to take the tape off, dry it, then re tape it. I'd rather tape over the [b]grommet[/b], and be able to pull the [b]grommet[/b] on and off, and not get glue all over the bottom of the heart.
[/quote]

Wrong Word.
[/quote]

Fixed that for ya.
[/quote]

Wtf? Hello Eric...

lol mattarios, ill say grommet...I dont wanna chage :P

Anyway If you dont really want to use tape you can always wrap some damp paper towels over the gasket. I do that for stems that a a bit smaller than the opening of the base so that it is a nice snug fit and wont move or lean or whatever. I just dont like the idea of tape and its adhesive stuff getting on either the stem or the grommet.

I would suggest putting electrical tape under the gasket. Its not as tacky and leaves less residue than duct tape. I use it under the gasket because sliding on and off between the jar and the gasket pulls the tape off more quickly.

I have tried several types of tape and found electrical to be the best. Athletic tape is a poor choice, it doesn't hold up well and leaves lots of residue. Masking tape isn't even close to waterproof. Electrical tape is also heat resistant. Which is good and can be used (but don't unless ABSOLUTELY necessary) under the bowl gasket as well. I have seen standard electrical tape withstand the heat from a blowtorch...

Before you go all MacGyver on your hookah, take a good look to see what, exactly, is causing the problem (if you haven't already done so). I had one come through the lounge once where the base was the culprit and several others where it was the grommet. If you find it is the grommet, try another grommet. I'm pretty sure those black grommets that come with most Egyptians are carved from old tires with a sharp stick by a blind person, so they can be wildly inconsistent. I've actually had some luck using black Mya grommets on egyptians when all else fails.

While it may work, electrical tape is always my absolute LAST option when it comes to hookah repair. Edited by ih303

I do too. But that's one thing I really don't like about Egyptians. Even amongst the same style and brand of hookah there are differences that make mixing and matching a tricky undertaking. Sometimes, things that should fit simply don't. That's when you have to get creative. Edited by ih303

You know what's really weird? As bizarre and irregular as they are, jars are fairly consistent in hole sizing from what I've seen. What varies a lot is the size of the hub on the hookah.

If gaskets were all consistently sized, nothing would ever fit right! Its especially true with the silicone clear-gaskets they used to use for Syrian pipes...you always had to size the shank with electrical tape....since all the gaskets were consistent in size. Once it was sized, it would slip into any of the jars though. I still like the clear silicone ones...since the real ones never wear out or get smaller. You have to retape every few months, but it only takes a minute, once you've got your technique down.

Eh, i find electrical tape to have more gooeyness ... ive tried both, and electrical tape was horrendous for me.

Gimme duct tape any day of the week. What is also nice about duct tape is, it has the lines of reinforcement stuff on it, so it is easy to rip the size you need for your grommet/stem.

Duct tape ftw!

[quote name='Sonthert' date='08 February 2010 - 09:09 AM' timestamp='1265641769' post='450386']
You know what's really weird? As bizarre and irregular as they are, jars are fairly consistent in hole sizing from what I've seen. What varies a lot is the size of the hub on the hookah.

If gaskets were all consistently sized, nothing would ever fit right! Its especially true with the silicone clear-gaskets they used to use for Syrian pipes...you always had to size the shank with electrical tape....since all the gaskets were consistent in size. Once it was sized, it would slip into any of the jars though. I still like the clear silicone ones...since the real ones never wear out or get smaller. You have to retape every few months, but it only takes a minute, once you've got your technique down.
[/quote]

That seems to be exactly what I've noticed Eric. Athough I still prefer the the silicone gaskets from the Syrian/Chinese hookahs with tape instead of the ones supplied with my KM/Temsaah/MZ's

[quote name='NJE03' date='08 February 2010 - 01:24 PM' timestamp='1265657063' post='450425']
My advice is to simply wrap several layers of electrical tape directly on to the gasket. I have only had to re apply it once in the last 3 years.
[/quote]

x10000, my KM had a ridiculously large grommet that I could not replace so I gout an MZ one and taped directly on the stem... works flawlessly.