My New (old) Coal Cutter... Well It Owns...

So my dad dropped off a small basket of tools of mine that he found in his garage. Ones I forgot I even had. Among them was a diamond in the rough. So I pulled it out. The tip of the blade was broken off 1/4" of 4" so no big deal. Little paint, grass and years of just sitting around in a garage. I am looking at it think...maybe? I throw a coconara underneath the blade and with no effort, I mean no more than cutting construction paper with a pair of regular scissors I cut through the coco. I thought okay that's a fluke... 10 more cocos later... I was like HOT DAMN!

What is this amazing Coal Cutter soon to be of great renown?

Craftsman Handi-Cut
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...yword=Handi-Cut

Mine is an early version, I remember getting this when hitting the market. My Handle is a bit different, but the same thing. Like the one pictured.
  • Upvote 1

QUOTE (NIGHTS OF BAGHDAD @ Nov 15 2009, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
nice find, but damn $20 for a cutter..ouch!

yes but its craftsman, so if you get angry and throw it under a bus when your friend knocks over your hookah, if you can find a couple pieces, go to sears, and they will replace it for free..... if you can break it, they will give you a new one..... the one reason i will ALWAYS shell out extra money for craftsman.

QUOTE (NIGHTS OF BAGHDAD @ Nov 16 2009, 08:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
stuie, how clean where the cuts? did it cut them into odd chunks? or evenly?

75% are perfectly clean cuts. The other 25% clean cut half way down and then slightly jagged the rest of the way.

None of them have shattered on crushed on me yet.

• 4 weeks later...
I picked up the 2.5 inch blade handi cut from Sears last night. I used 3 coco halves on a medium Egpytian bowl and it works great!!! I'll be testing 3 or 4 halves on a small phunnel this week. Good call Stuie!!!

[quote name='fillup' date='15 November 2009 - 10:48 PM' timestamp='1258343326' post='428036']
I have to get this. Was thinking about making one but this makes it a ton easier. Right now ive been using a pocket knife and a mag light to smack it with.
[/quote]

haha this is what i do!!!

hah yours may work better but mine is bigger and has the ability to make most ppl piss in there own pants.

[img]http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/2849/coalcutter.jpg[/img]

lol j/k i like that idea a lot might have to check into it. providing someone says they work ok with afires that is.

[quote name='Jondd88' date='17 December 2009 - 03:25 AM' timestamp='1261041943' post='439810']
I light my coals first and then cut them in a bowl with gentle pressure from a sharp knife.
[/quote]

You are a brave man. I just see myself trying that and having shards of lit coals flying everywhere.

[quote name='nars2k' date='15 December 2009 - 08:41 PM' timestamp='1260927703' post='439419']
A free and easy way, Get a regular knife put it in the middle of the coco and hit the top with a hammer.
[/quote]

That's what I do

The benifits of the Handi-Cut that haven't been mentioned. You don't need a cutting board and you won't damage any surfaces like the hammer knife combo.