107 members have voted

1. 1. Are You Ready?

• I'm ready like Spongebob, man.
    • What's a 2012?
    • Yeah, but we're all gonna die.
    • I don't care. Alls I knows is that my hookah will be by my side when it comes around.
    • 2012 is a fluke.

QUOTE (dizzbizz @ Jun 25 2009, 01:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Bulldog_916 @ Jun 23 2009, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think 2012 signifies when we start moving our settlements into the ocean, we start colonizing the ocean more. The age of Aquarius signifies water. We shift to the water. It's a fundamental shift in the way we understand living.

Bioshock?

lol that would be really tight if i could do some of the things in that game lol, imagine instant lighting for my coconaros lol

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Jun 24 2009, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seriously? Mystic mumbo jumbo. Find me a prophecy somebody made in advance that c ame true and then I'll start thinking about it.

What about Nostradamus!!!

(I am of course being sarcastic. I could go through his "prophecies" and found one that pertained to every day of my life)

QUOTE (ashes87 @ Jun 24 2009, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I actually would like to watch that movie, just currently have no fundage to buy or rent it with, extreme sadness on my part but, its a part of life.

Well, like I said, if you trust me with your addy, I'll see if I can find my backup copy and send it to you. Just don't report me...

I've lived through a few of these end of the world dates...

But ill have the guns loaded, the hookah smoking, and the wife ..well..um..but anyways.....just in case.

Then again, we could all be wrong. One way to find out eh?

BTW i've added the BS smiley to the official database.

• 2 weeks later...
if the mayans were so great why did they all die? answer: they couldnt handle a drought..if they cant handle some nice weather maybe they shouldnt have lived in mexico in the first place...aside from that i think that everyone that truly believes in this 2012 bullshit is absolutely retarded and i just hope people dont go all crazy and start riots and breaking shit and what not.

In my emergency stash I've now added a box of shisha (and an el cheapo eBay nargile) to keep my bottle of "Jack" company. I've always planned for a rooftop view of events! If I were anywhere but on the rooftop for the "flash" (or bio-pop) I'd be SO pissed... LOL

QUOTE (delSol_si @ Jun 24 2009, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fuck, here is try number two for posting the movie:

LOVED....THIS.....MOVIE!!!!!!!

Sad part is the story line except the being frozen for a few centuries, other than that... it does seem likely!

2012 is just a load of BS as far as the world ending. But I do believe something interesting will happen either an advance in technology or a type of awakening. Why? Well not because the Myans predicted it, but because if everyone believes something will happen, it will happen.

QUOTE (shaffaaf27 @ Jul 14 2009, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Sonthert @ Jun 24 2009, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seriously? Mystic mumbo jumbo. Find me a prophecy somebody made in advance that c ame true and then I'll start thinking about it.

Biggie said in juicy, "Blow up like the World Trade"

thats because someone had bombed the world trade center in 1993..you didnt know that?

QUOTE (fineout @ Jul 15 2009, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (shaffaaf27 @ Jul 14 2009, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Sonthert @ Jun 24 2009, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Biggie said in juicy, "Blow up like the World Trade"

thats because someone had bombed the world trade center in 1993..you didnt know that?

i did not.... thanks for that. wikki time

Also, a small plane was shot down on the White House lawn in 1994 (?). Somewhere around there.

Idiocracy isn't correct. Every indication, according to an article I read, is that people are getting smarter...just less educated. I said the same thing somewhere else...

Canon is right, the Great Sidereal year corresponding to the precession entering the age of Aquarius is closer to 2085 or 2100. 2150 years is the amount of time of one age, but thats assuming it started in 0 AD. None of these dates is set in stone. Each sign of the Zodiac varies in size. Additionally, there are 13 Zodiac constellations, not 12, lying between Scorpio and Sagittarius (somewhere between the end of November and December currently) is Ophiuchus. The largest Zodiac constellation is Virgo, which means the Sun lingers in Virgo for about 45 days. It would also make the Age of Virgo longer than the others. The smallest is Capricorn, where the Sun only resides for 25 days. Ophiuchus is actually the third largest of the Zodiac Constellations. Yet nobody talks about it. So, if we were defining the Age of Aquarius would we split the 25,900 years of the Great Sidereal Year in 12 equal segments or base it entirely on when the Axis of the Earth resided in that constellation? If we go with the second idea, the Ages would change. If we do divide the Great Sidereal Year into 12 equal portions...how do we rectify 13 signs of the Zodiac? The only answer lies in ignoring what groups of stars the axis of the Earth points to, merely basing it on relative, predefined variables. If that is the case...what is the influence that makes them significant? If it isn't the position of the stars relative to the axis of the Earth...what significance could it have? None. Facts never bother the mystics and superstitious...they believe what they want to independent of the facts or what empirically is observable.

So, 2012, 2091, 3624. What does it matter? The stars in the Zodiac have less gravitational attraction on us than our hookah does.

someone might have replied with this already, but yeah.

there is no mayan prophecy that the world will end in 2012, or that it is the last year of the planet. in fact, as far as i'm aware, there has never been a single prophecy in the history of the mayan culture and/or civilization.

what it is, is their calendar; it works on a percentage system, and until the 20th century it was actually more functional and accurate than our gregorian calendar. the idea of an "apocalyptic prophecy" comes from the 100% point of the calendar being december 21st, 2012.

i have personally interviewed about 120 rural myans in guatemala, mostly about surviving the genocides there but in most cases also about their belief in the significance of the date. interestingly, an overwhelming number of them all believe that there will be some massive technological collapse/failure/change at the globally systemic level, which leads many of them to take great pride in their lifestyle without the use of electricity and cars and such things.

just clearing that up.

edit:

people are absolutely getting stupider. the best two ways to determine this with extremely high probability, are to look at university standards today, and compare them with the standards of 200 years ago. in fact, the educational systems for seven and eight year olds was more complex and rigorous 200 years ago than graduate school is today. the other way is to simply look at the prominent intellectuals of that time, compared with what we have today. can you really hold up william f. buckley and noam chomsky to hobbes and locke? bill o'reilly to hume? bill maher to kant? john stuart to john stewart mill? there's no comparison.

as recently as the decades between the two world wars, people still realized that they were living in extreme deprivation, that they were ideological slaves to a nation, and that real, solid, emotional connections between people were rare and precious. today the masses either ignore these things or directly water them down to the point of complete meaninglessness. we're living in an era of apathy, when 99% of global populations seem to consistently choose convenience and instant gratification over survival itself.

one doesn't need ancient prophecies when one has a good pair of eyes; that our species is on a rapid descent into self-destruction is as blatantly obvious as any other reality that comes to mind. Edited by gaia.plateau

A general failure in the educational system could explain that too, though couldn't it? Coupled with a dependence on technology and less survival threats that make people get more educated or die. The German system of education, based on age separation of children is absurd. Our Universities don't even do that. We need to go back to the tried and true method of children progressing at whatever rate is right for them; separation based on achievement.

As it has been said before, in many different ways, a person that is not challenged will not progress. A blade that is not tempered will not hold its edge when used. Whatever you like.

My girlfriends and I all made a pact...... It's bunk but just in case we're going to spend the countdown with our heels in the air.

'Rani yawning.gif

QUOTE (liquidglass @ Jul 14 2009, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...but because if everyone believes something will happen, it will happen.

True as hell. This is how 'prophecy' works, something always happens and if you're vague enough, then you will sound right!

More interesting to me is the Hindu cycle of the ages or milleniums. We currently reside in the Kali Yuga, which is sort of like the age of destruction, or the unholiest of ages, where the principal religion consists only of chanting the maha-mantra. A lot of people think that this cycle corresponds to the mayan long count, and that the solstice should begin an age of enlightenment... but you know, that's just what some people say.

If you were to ask me I'd say we're boned, not because of some instant apocolpyse, but because of a slow process of humanity degrading into a more and more parasitic lifestyle until eventually the planet cannot support us. Edited by Svaals

QUOTE (Sonthert @ Jul 16 2009, 02:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A general failure in the educational system could explain that too, though couldn't it? Coupled with a dependence on technology and less survival threats that make people get more educated or die. The German system of education, based on age separation of children is absurd. Our Universities don't even do that. We need to go back to the tried and true method of children progressing at whatever rate is right for them; separation based on achievement.

As it has been said before, in many different ways, a person that is not challenged will not progress. A blade that is not tempered will not hold its edge when used. Whatever you like.

I guess there could be any number of explanations, but it amounts to the same thing; people getting dumber. For us to get more or less intelligent on the biological, evolutionary level would take thousands of years by anyone's estimate that I've been made aware of... and yet we've seen a steady downscrawl in the cognitive capacities of the masses, the exceptions and even the prodigies. I think that television and the internet have played major roles in the recent (perceptively) plummet in the aptitude of our species over the past five or six decades, but I think that it's much simpler than that.

As life gets easier, we get weaker, in every sense of the word. The best example of this is the comparison between the ancient Egyptians and the ancient Mesopotamians. The former was advantaged by two amazing rivers which ebbed and flowed like clockwork, making irrigation both intuitive and easy, and were protected by the natural borders of seas, rivers and desert. The latter had three unpredictable rivers and no barriers. In this comparison of ease vs strife, as any historian will attest to, we see the outcome of relative intellectual complacency vs intellectual progress.

QUOTE (r1v3th3ad @ Jul 16 2009, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (BohoWildChild @ Jul 16 2009, 06:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My girlfriends and I all made a pact...... It's bunk but just in case we're going to spend the countdown with our heels in the air.

'Rani yawning.gif

I want in wink.gif

You... want to spend the 21st with your heels in the air? I know a big, hair guy named Jedidiah that could probably accommodate you tongue.gif