Is It Smart To Smoke Hookah In The Backyard In Full View Of Neighbors?

I am renovating my back deck, and I want to have a really chill place to smoke hookah. I am gonna install my DIY fire pit, and a small table with some comfy chairs.

Problem is, the deck is in full and unblocked view of neighbors on all sides. If I have some nice hookah sessions outside, will I get trouble from the neighbors? This is worrying me because I am renovating the deck for the sole purpose of smoking outside with friends.

Why you ask, am I nervous? Well there are A LOT of ignorant/naive people that will see the hookah, thick smoke, and put two and two together and form the conclusion that it is not legal looking. right? mellow.gif

What should I do?

Go and talk to your neighbors. Tell them what hookah is, and that you do not want any misinterpretations of your activities. Better safe then sorry.

It is not like they can arrest you... their ignorance should not hamper your freedom.

I would be tempted to have fun with it... blast some Jimmy Hendrix while wearing tie dye and hitting your Hookah.

John

i say go for it whats the worst that can happen i sometimes sit outside out the frount under the carport ppl walk past and look at us werid but its your house if u enjoy it outside go for it smile.gif Edited by dj groove

unless you have a job where a rumor that you smoke nht would ruin your career, !@#$ em! There is nothing wrong with smoking a hookah on a deck. I would be jealous though cuz i have to smoke out in the garage for the time being.

The worst thing that will happen is they call the cops, just keep a tub of baccy hand(original container and packaging) to show them and be willing to waste a bowl showin the cops whats inside of it.

QUOTE (BaronIV @ Mar 15 2009, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
unless you have a job where a rumor that you smoke nht would ruin your career, !@#$ em! There is nothing wrong with smoking a hookah on a deck. I would be jealous though cuz i have to smoke out in the garage for the time being.

and if you job is like that, you should be happy! I doubt you can get canned for slander....

i say fuck it and smoke! it's your house! if neighbors call the cops then you will probably end up smoking with some policemen. or if your lucky, policewomen!

If it's just a couple of neighbours and you greet each other, I'd mention the hookah. If they still decide to call the police or whatnot you can put on your good citizen face and say "But officer, I've mentioned this to my dear neighbours a few days ago" wink.gif

we got the cops called on us once for smoking on our roof porch...the conversation went like this:

"Hey yall up there, what are you smoking" -cops
"flavored tobacco in a hookah" -us
"oh ok, ha ve a nice day" -cops

QUOTE (modisess @ Mar 15 2009, 01:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
to hell with neighbors, you're not doing anything illegal.

+1.

We smoked hookah in our park downtown during festival time (which, 75% of the town goes too), and some cops came over and said they "had a report of some kids smoking drugs in the park" but when they came over they knew right away what we were doing.

Ton's of idiots drive by thinking its something else when we smoke on the porch, but cops cruise by all the time, they know what it is.

I'm in a semi-shitty neighborhood, and have zero problems. Its a hookah, don't worry about it.

Plus, people will ask, and you can tell them.

EDUCATE biggrin.gif

QUOTE (HellCat @ Mar 15 2009, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WOWW!!! Awesome replies! Thanks for the advice. Yeah its legal 100%

But will they continue causing trouble even after the first time?

Ah if they do, fuck them. They'll get the message eventually.

If they continue to harass you then have the officers go over to the house that made the complaint and explain things to them.

you would be surprised actually, i smoke in my front yard.
i have had no problems with anyone, once they see you're not hiding anything, they know its legit. if anyone has a problem with it, they will either get over it or ask you what you're doing.
most people actually do know that a narghila is a tobacco pipe.
as long as you don't bust out the hookah, have a 5 minute session, get all nervous and go back inside, you'll be good to go. before you go out for the first time though, you have to commit to it, no running away! own it.

If worst comes to worst and the cops end up showing up on a complaint, what will probably happen? More people becoming informed on what hookah is and realizing that is not illegal? May be a bit of a pain in the ass at first but in the end it may just do some good.. The only way to overcome people's innital dislike of something new that they are ignorant of is to educate them in one way or another.. Edited by bainard

you should be fine...like every one says if the cops come they will realize it was a simple understanding and if the cops keep getting called than either approach your neighbors and explain to them what hookah is and show them the tobacco or you call the cops on them for harassment. Either way you are the cops cant to anything about it since its all legal so smoke up and enjoy your new deck! I do it all the time.

If I was you, I would either:

A.Tell them what it is

or

B. Don't say a word, and hope that the police shows up and embarrass the shit out of them for calling in the cops for absolutely no reason, and keep a camera handy, lol.