Mad Headache!

So I was smoking with some friends tonite for like...3 hours? And I leave and as I'm walking to my car, I seemed to develop a HORRIBLE headache...and its really bad now, sitting in front of my monitor here...
who else has gotten horrible headaches from hookah?
is there something im doing wrong? or should be doing so this doesnt happen again?

some people call it hookah head, but it happens when you don't pace yourself.

You inhale too deeply for too long. You could also be smoking a dead bowl and not really realize it. If you smoke a dead bowl you'll get an headache.
If you put coals on before they are ready you can also get a headache.

Steps to avoid a headache.
1. make sure you have food in your stomach or eat while smoking.
2. make sure you have a drink to keep yourself hydrated. Drink a drink like poweraide, gatorade or even red canned coke (yes i know coke can also dehydrate you) but the potassium in coke also helps your body fight off the headache and vertigo.
3. Take your time. Smoking hookah is about relaxation.
4. Pace yourself when you are trying to impress your friends. Don't power hit, or do tons of tricks. You hold in the smoke longer and cut off your oxygen, while the carbon dioxide sits in your body. You need oxygen. lol

there is more, but i am tired. if you want to know more, try searching headache or hookah head.
  • Upvote 1

dead bowl? never heard that term..im pretty sure by that name i can figure out what it is..but how would i know i have a dead bowl..

yeah i dont think i pased myself well...and maybe this dead bowl thing has something to do with it also...

thanks for the help!!

you get a dead bowl when you don't stop smoking after the majority of the flavor(the glycerin and molasses) have been cooked out...it leaves nasty dry tobacco, and it just eventually gets to you...don't know exactly what makes it get to you, but it does.

and as kitten said, drink something while you're smoking, and if you're on an empty stomach, a snack isn't a bad idea either.

Be wary of extremes in temperatures, when smoking outside and its cool and heading into a house or a heated car, or vice versa.
Getting up and going full bore to your next destination also slams your brain, that was just recently relaxing with a nicotine infusion, abruptly. Hookah is like sex, if I remember that act correctly, you must relax during the act and a bit afterwards....before getting up, leaving, turning on the TV and getting a snack.
But sometimes, no matter what you do, it is just your turn to have a boomer! Edited by cohlineman

make sure your coals are completly lit before smoking. I've had trouble with headachs in the past (when I was new to this) and I would smoke coals as coals were in the process of becoming completly lit. I also got some headachs from jap coals when their silver coating was completly gone when burning.

• 2 weeks later...
I got the worst experience today, was about to eat a chicken wrap, but held off. THen smoked some Melon sheesha, i was disorientated and on the verge of passing out. My eyes were droopy, when i headed back into the house i just plunked myself on a couch n slept for 25-30 minutes, which really helpd. Worst experience so far, definatley going to pace myself and eat before my next session

sounds to me like your jsut not used to the nic. not sure if anyone described it, i was too lazy to read.

i used to get huge headaches from hookah, its becauseo f the massive onslought of nic into your system. two solutions:

don't smoke as much (will never really solve problem)
keep smoking, "acclimate" your body

Yeh, that passing out thing will happen. Just make sure it's not on the floor like where I ended up >.< Think of it as one of those hazing rituals happy.gif

that reminds me... I know a kid that passed out from smoking too much at a hookah bar and shit himself in the process... we had to help him get out of the place. i'm not kidding he really shit himself. this happen over a year ago and we still talk about it everytime we go to this place

Thats not the end of it...about 5 months ago we went with a bunch of people to one of the new bars in the area. This same guy almost passed out but instead of falling back into the comfy couches he fell forward and banged his head with the edge of the center table.. One of the employees witnessed it (I guess he recognized him from before) and kicked him out

• 4 years later...
i have got terrible headaches the past two times i smoked! i believe it may be from sitting my QL coals on to quick. But i just started using Three Kings QL coals and it has happened everytime i use them. I think im going to switch coals. also i been smoking hookah for a couple of months and i just recently got a big bore hose and now i get so high off the nic in about 15 mins! i use to be able to smoke for an hour or more! idk what changed besides the coals and hose but its a terrible headache!

lmfay Rayver this dude i went to school with went to the lounge smoked too much went to his car and passed out while opening the door to his car .. left a huge gash right above his eye it was fuckin hilarious ... i have a sick sense of humor i guess

Nice use of the search tool.

I usually get a headache fron CO. There is probably something in 3K that you are not used to or don't react well to. That buzz in the frist 15 may not be from nicotine but fron CO from the coal or what ever is giving you a headache.

The big bore hose will also allow you to inhale more of what is giving you a headache.

Take some tylanol and pace yourself next time. You will build up a tolerance.

Quicklights always give me headaches if I smoke longer than an hour. Specific brands give me the worst ones. My advice is to not use quicklight coals and to switch to naturals. It should fix most of the problem, and at least then you will know if it is you or the coals that is giving the problem. If I have a very long session, I will still get a headache even when using natural coals. At that point, you know it is from oxygen deprivation, lack of water, CO, nicotine, etc.

I have a working theory based on my chiropractic training. So I was getting headaches on 1 side of my head almost every time I smoked. I figured if it was hookah related, it would be both sides of my head. So I started to think. I had noticed when I took a full breath in, my breathing would flutter near the very end. This is indicative of a pelvic floor imbalance/weakness (hard to explain without going really in depth). I walked my wife through the treatment for it and have been fine ever since (and have been able to take deeper breaths now and no more fluttering).

[quote name='DrSmokes' timestamp='1345734572' post='554900']
I have a working theory based on my chiropractic training. So I was getting headaches on 1 side of my head almost every time I smoked. I figured if it was hookah related, it would be both sides of my head. So I started to think. I had noticed when I took a full breath in, my breathing would flutter near the very end. This is indicative of a pelvic floor imbalance/weakness (hard to explain without going really in depth). I walked my wife through the treatment for it and have been fine ever since (and have been able to take deeper breaths now and no more fluttering).
[/quote]

Could you elaborate on this a bit more?

[quote name='aeon' timestamp='1345736293' post='554902']
[quote name='DrSmokes' timestamp='1345734572' post='554900']
[/quote]

Could you elaborate on this a bit more?
[/quote]
Not sure what you want elaboration on. With the technique I use, it's a diagnosing technique to get down to the real problem (rather than the "oh you have a bone out of place" by sheer feeling of the fingers). With that being said, we document what symptoms we see with various "weaknesses" in the body, making correlations to aid in diagnosing problems or reaffirm what we've found. When I say weakness, I'm not talking about someone who can only lift a 5lb dumbbell. I'm talking about a neurological weakness/inhibition. An easy example would be a bicep curl. When you flex your bicep, you have the signal from your brain to contract the bicep, and another signal that goes to the tricep to inhibit it so you can move your bicep. Sometimes those signals are always on the "turn off the muscle" state. And that's what we look for and figure out why it is like that and fix it. It can be anything from the food you are eating, drugs you are taking, meridians not flowing properly, specific organs not functioning 100% (we base this part on chinese medicine, they've correlated muscles to organs), various other reflexes, and our (chiropractors) favorite: subluxations (better known to the [i]public [/i]as "bone out of place" - this interferes with signals throughout the body and to the brain).

Now going to the pelvic floor weakness, 2 of the symptoms are fluttering of the breath at the very last bit of breath on a deep inhale (very commonly seen in asthmatics - when this is fixed they feel like they can actually BREATHE again), and the other is headaches or a feeling of pulling down on strings attached to the skull or even pressure on the top of the head. I figured I'm not getting headaches when I don't smoke because I'm not having to take deep breaths...besides on the days I play basketball, I was ALWAYS getting headaches, thus bringing me back to the pelvic floor and correlating the deep breathing with it. I took what I knew, took my symptoms, showed my wife how to examine me (with being treated so much my body responds to the tests much easier so it wasn't too hard for her...that and I could easily tell if she wasn't doing something correctly), and then showed her how to treat what she found.

I hope that explains it a lil more. Let me know if anything else needs elaboration.

[quote name='Skoozle' timestamp='1345759970' post='554922']
What's the treatment? Does it feel good? I might get my wife to do it even if I don't have the problem :D
[/quote]
It does NOT feel good. It HURTS. If it's a real problem, you will nearly cry. lol I don't think I can offer how to treat it over the internet...