Charcoal + Smoke Detector ?

Im new to this forum and i had a question. I tried searching the forums but i could not find an answer. Hopefully someone can help me out.

Can I smoke inside with a smoke detector? I know the smoke wouldnt bother it but would the charcoal somehow set it off? I talked to the LiveHelp on hookah-shisha and they said i shouldnt have a problem. Anybody disagree with this? Any problems that anyone has had with smoke detectors before?

Thanks

I joke to my friend who lives in a "smoke-free" dorm about that. I told him to take a tupperware container and duct tape it over the smoke detector on the ceiling haha. Hey, it might work. In fact, take ben's idea and put a plastic bag over it and then duct tape a tupperware container over it. No air is sure to hit that thing at all after that haha

Many of the detectors now don't really detect smoke, or they do in addition to detecting heat. The only problem I see for you if you do smoke inside with a detector is just having the coals too close to the detector. So long as your hookah isn't right underneith it, you should be fine.

QUOTE (NazarHookah @ Mar 4 2007, 03:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with them....but also be very careful when doing this

Whats to be careful about it? Unless he's smoking in a place with a sprinkler system set up, it will just make a loud noise for a bit. And if you're in a place with a sprinkler system, it's probably best to just not test it.. smile.gif

QUOTE (yashman19 @ Mar 4 2007, 03:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (NazarHookah @ Mar 4 2007, 03:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with them....but also be very careful when doing this

Whats to be careful about it? Unless he's smoking in a place with a sprinkler system set up, it will just make a loud noise for a bit. And if you're in a place with a sprinkler system, it's probably best to just not test it.. smile.gif

Yea, I guess you are right....but I was thinking more on the fire hazard side....

QUOTE (jordanneff @ Mar 3 2007, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I joke to my friend who lives in a "smoke-free" dorm about that. I told him to take a tupperware container and duct tape it over the smoke detector on the ceiling haha. Hey, it might work. In fact, take ben's idea and put a plastic bag over it and then duct tape a tupperware container over it. No air is sure to hit that thing at all after that haha

Haha, the tupperware idea is how I smoke in my dorms! Has worked everytime!

a friend of mine smokes hookah in his dorm, he just popped off the smoke detector and unplugged it then took the batteries out. i guess that may be a little dangerous. i dunno go with the tapeing the bag over it. sounds like a good idea

I've smoked hookah several places and my hookah hasn't set off any alarms.. I'm smoking right now in my room and there is a detector right above me. But I open up a window just in case, not worth the risk of having an annoying alarm go off above me. I only open the window cause my room is relatively small... so smoke builds up but in the living room I smoke freely with no worries. I have smoked in a dorm before and the only thing that has set it off was direct smoke to the detector.. and I mean literally blow into the alarm. This was just my friend betting that he could set it off with cigarette smoke... and yeah, he won... and annoyed everyone around. smile.gif

i have never had a problem with smoke detectors. I smoked in my dorm throughout the winter but now its warm so its nice to smoke outside at night

QUOTE (Drake BBNR @ Mar 3 2007, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (jordanneff @ Mar 3 2007, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha, the tupperware idea is how I smoke in my dorms! Has worked everytime!

i've seen people use the tupperware idea, but i normally just used a trashbag and masking/painters tape.

Dont pull the alarm off the wall in a dorm if its attached to a centralized system, itll set the alarm for the building off, or at least trip an alarm in the monitoring office and theyll send someone to check it out.

Smoke detecters now a days dont detect smoke like they used to they have a small sensor on them looks like a little lense... detects flashing light as fire, and a carbon monoxide sensor which has to be VERY VERY pissed off before it will set the alarm off... ive bowled out an entire room with a alarm in it and nothing came of it time and time again.. but if you feel worried just tupperwear it. hell thats why tupperwear was invented!

Happy hookah-ing mate.

QUOTE (ghostofdavid @ Mar 4 2007, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't bother with it. Get friends off campus. In the house where we party every Thursday night, QLs set off the HOUSE smoke dector.

What type of QL do you use? I know there are some QL that burst up like fireworks, it's terrible.. but 3kings and Golden don't make much smoke and only smell while they are lighting.

--------
I think just a plastic bag over the detector is good enough if you don't want to take any risk.. save the tupperware for your shisha smile.gif

QUOTE (DownZero @ Mar 4 2007, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What type of QL do you use? I know there are some QL that burst up like fireworks, it's terrible.. but 3kings and Golden don't make much smoke and only smell while they are lighting.

I think its the other way... my 3K always spark up a storm... and honestly... when lighting... they reek like ass. They smoke good though.

I like Starlite coals better cause they dont start as violently and dont smell bad.

3 Kings. Modern, nice smoke detectors will detect even faint amounts of smoke. I think the idea behind it is that the smoke detector will find small amounts of smoke before it can be burnt up.

I think I am going to switch to naturals and/or japanese after a while.

QUOTE (imagelessdude @ Mar 4 2007, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (DownZero @ Mar 4 2007, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think its the other way... my 3K always spark up a storm... and honestly... when lighting... they reek like ass. They smoke good though.

I like Starlite coals better cause they dont start as violently and dont smell bad.

Yeah, 3kings do spark with slight smoke but there are other coals that look like they just explode... a literal smoke storm.