Tread Carefully.

As i am sitting here, all plush and comfy, smoking my hookah, ordering my dinner from the local pizza place, I am watching a movie.
This movie is one, not of my favorites, because i don't know if it can be classified that way. Not as in i don't like this movie, because i do. It makes me cry everytime i see it, and it's a good movie. but i don't know if this could be a "favorite" movie. It's Schindler's List.

What are your thoughts on this movie and how accuritly it portrayed the holocaust?

I didn't want to put this in chit chat... as i didn't want anyone to think i was making light of what happened.

lemme tell you all something, if you like schinlars list, watch the pianist. It will make you say fuck schinlars list.

Accually both are good. I have this weird obsession with holocaust movies. I think i may have seen most of them... maybe we should list them?

everytime i see the little girl in the red coat or the children getting hauled away it makes me so sad. I just dont know how something like this can happen.

There are actually people in the world who are daft enough to think that the holocaust didn't actually happen. It;s terrible.

I don;t like the holocaust, but i am captivated by it. It is very interesting. i haven't seen the pianist.

i like diary of anne frank, any other movies?

I am a teacher at a small alternative education school in mid-michigan. We started learning about the holocaust two weeks ago, and we are studying it in all subjects. Social studies, science, and english are researching and doing papers about the holocaust and how it relates to the subject. In math we are having our students make a time line of all the genocide that has occured in the 1900's. They are all learning about the subject, and some made some off color jokes about Hitler and Jewish people, but that was nipped before it got rolling. So my opinion is that we still need to educate our kids about the holocaust, AND we need to educate them about all different kinds of genocide that occurs in our world.

In that regard we are having a whole school viewing of Schindler's list as it portrays life in a concentration camp fairly accuratly.

So I feel the need to respond to this thread as a history teacher, and as someone who's father's side is Jewish and linked closely (as most Jews tend to feel) to the events. It has always been one of the most difficult things to teach others about; not only is the material of a very sensitive nature, but in many ways is beyond the understanding of anyone who did not experience it. Of the many survivors with whom I have had the privilege to speak with, not one feels that any movie has nailed down the severity of the various labor and death camps. They feel they make very noble attempts, but the only way to truly understand it is to have lived it, and nothing can create that feeling in others.

I agree that this is a topic that needs to be touched upon with every generation, but unfortunately the entire world needs to open its eyes- In the past 20 years we have seen genocide in Rwanda and Darfur that has been largely overlooked by the world until it was too late. The lessons of the Holocaust are fruitless if we are not changing the human course of actions. We can't simply say, oh that was horrible; I hope it never happens again while we turn blindly away from it in Africa. The problems of the Holocaust are just as real today as they ever were then.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but as I am sure you can tell this is something I feel VERY passionately about. I do not disagree that Schindler's List is a great movie, or that the portrayals in it aren't as good as they get- only trying to press the urgency of the lessons, and understanding that the atrocities can only be partially understood.

I rather liked the movie as well, but I'm rather tired of hearing about the holocaust. Don't get me wrong, documentaries on the holocaust are a great thing, hopefully they'll help us avoid persecution of any group in the future, but when we're getting into things like holocaust fiction novels methinks it's turning into a pity-party and people need to find other things to write about. rolleyes.gif

A good friend of mine, a retired restauranteur and a descendant of German immigrants returned from a trip to Poland. One evening after visiting the museum at Auschwitz he was in a tavern and approached a group of German businessmen enjoying the evening. They warmly welcomed him to the table and they made nice conversations for a time. After a couple rounds of drink my friend said " Have you been to Auschwitz? Red faces around the table. The German businessmen said " Why should we go there? Nothing happened at Auschwitz." He was asked to leave the table.

Recently the German government opened a major archive of holocaust documentation to public scrutiny. The Germans kept meticulous records of their activities have paid billions in reparations to death camp survivors and to the State of Israel. Surely they would not accept financial and moral responsibilty if in fact "nothing happened" at Auschwitz.

The campaign to rewrite this history is just part of the "big lie" where the perpetrators are rehabilitated at the expense of the victims.

Never again. cool.gif

Wow, a gut-wrenching flick. My heart has always gone out to the Jewish victims of the holocaust. I don't think anything ever made me appreciate the gravity of the ordeal as a day I spent at Dachau outside of Munich. If you have ever heard the stories of the the hopeless feeling you get while touring the camp, from visitors, it's true. Several months before I finally left Germany (4 July 1997) I finally built up the courage to make it out there. It was a cold, dark, rainy day. The perfect day for Dachau. I was always told of the stench in the air still prevalent from the death and cremation after all these years. That's true also. Just sickening, but not for the physical quality of it, but for the deep, depressing hopelessness of it all. I'll never forget it. The rain made the stench stick to our clothes. That's before MRS Bubble and I were married. I imported her there with me for a few months before my return and our marriage. The smell was stuck in our nostrils for a few days, and the interior of the car was awash in it. A few days later, I went to Regensberg for some fresh ground coffee. The smell of the coffee (nice and warm grinds) finally fixed the car's interior, but it took a couple washings for our clothes to return to normal. Why am I sharing this with you? It's not that I want attention for my morbid tale. It's not that I want to focus on the ghastly, like someone with a morbid fascination, but it was a life-altering experience. It helped me become a more gentle, loving Bubble. It relieved me of some prejudices toward my fellow man. I truly believe the Holocaust happened. They have so much documentation on each prisoner, with the photos of their demise from the medical experiments we hear so much about.
Just in case anyone is wondering, I love the German people too. I'm so happy they're gracious enough to retain these artifacts and invite us in to see man at his worst.

And yes, Schindler's list brings back the smell.

MR Bubble

QUOTE (azcoyote @ Mar 13 2007, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A good friend of mine, a retired restauranteur and a descendant of German immigrants returned from a trip to Poland. One evening after visiting the museum at Auschwitz he was in a tavern and approached a group of German businessmen enjoying the evening. They warmly welcomed him to the table and they made nice conversations for a time. After a couple rounds of drink my friend said " Have you been to Auschwitz? Red faces around the table. The German businessmen said " Why should we go there? Nothing happened at Auschwitz." He was asked to leave the table.

Recently the German government opened a major archive of holocaust documentation to public scrutiny. The Germans kept meticulous records of their activities have paid billions in reparations to death camp survivors and to the State of Israel. Surely they would not accept financial and moral responsibilty if in fact "nothing happened" at Auschwitz.

The campaign to rewrite this history is just part of the "big lie" where the perpetrators are rehabilitated at the expense of the victims.

Never again. cool.gif

Just to point this out. There are certain reasons why those business men acted this way. For one, none of Europe has forgotten about that history. Nor will they let it be left behind. For instance, when England plays Germany in soccer, the news papers still read Nazis Invading. Most of the germans living today had nothing to do with WWII. Sure there are a portion still alive, but to place blame on kids because they are german is complete bullshit of Europe. Yes, what happened should not have happened, but unfortunately it did. We learned a hell of a lot because of it, some good and some bad. Hitler wasnt the most happy person, but he did a hell of alot for that country when he was around. He could have left off the persecution but it was his scapegoat.

And dont forget about the Jews who claim it never happened. They are the ones who crack me up. I do think its time to move on though. We seemed to have moved on pretty quickly over the nuking of Japan.

well volkswagon and bayer prevailed through the holocaust.

Until recently i never knew bayer did testing on the jews in the camps. That grossly disgusts me as i can't believe that a major entity could get away with that, as unscathed as they are today. It feels like it all got swept under the rug.

as for going to the camps. I want to go. I would personally like to vist Dachau and Auschwitz. I am so facinated and moved by the whole thing that i think it would be a moving experience.
mr. bubble thank you for telling us your story and how the encounter made you feel. Its bone chilling.

There is a cruise that takes you to key points in japanese WW2 history and my fiance and I are thinking about going on it one day.

its a 25 day historical cruise ww2 from auckland nz- osaka japan sailing march 1st 2008 is the only date listed so far. starts at 3,000 dollars which isn't bad for a 25 day cruise.

OH god 25 days on a cruise. Forget that. You would have a better time fly there and travel that yourself then sitting on a boat for 25 days. I love boats, but cruises are worthless in my eyes and I dont exactly like to hang out with the people who are always on them.

And I am sure that 3k is before your plane ticket?

And as far as WV and Bayer, well if Bayer didnt do what they did we probably wouldnt have the pain pills we have today. Like I said its sad, but its true. We would not have half the things we have in the world today if WWII had not taken place and the events that occurred during it.