Holy S**t

EvansLight

Wow... i think i just had the scariest experience of my life.

I was sitting over next to my xbox playing some Lego Star Wars (don't knock it, this game rocks), and i started to smell like burnt wood. Now around my area and around this time of year, its not uncommon for people to have fires going in there fireplaces.... but at 4am? Well i ignore it, it was only a slight hint. Then it started getting stronger, much stronger, this got me worried. I did a quick look up for smoke in my house, nothing. So i get up and look around, no flames no smoke, nadda.

Well i almost just dismissed it and went back to my game when i started hearing sirens pretty darn close. So i walk out the front door, and right away i get smacked in the face with a strong burning smell. No fireplace can do that. So i take one step forward onto the porch and i could see it. A nice billowing cloud of smoke, 1 block over, and what looked like on my street, in the middle of these condos at the end of my street. HOLY SHIT!!

My first fear was for my house and my family. The wind was blowing the smoke and glowing embers right over our roof. I mean it was a straight line of smoke from the fire to our house, the wind was blowing pretty strong. Then i noticed that no one was outside there condos, that got me worried. And i didn't see any firetrucks near the condos, just some cop cars blocking the end of the street.

I run into my house, shaking uncontrollably, and go wake my mom. I told her what was going on, grabbed my sweatshirt and my shoes, and ran out, with the intent of going and making sure everyone over there knew there building was on fire.

I decided to see for sure where it was before i did anything stupid, so i walked 2 house up to the end of my block, and took a left up the street inbetween where i thought the first was and my block. I got next to the condos and saw that it wasn't in the middle of them. Thank god. It could still be at the outer edge buildings, beyond the main complex. I get to the corner of the block in front of mine, and can finnaly see where the fire was coming from.

There is this old building out on the main road in my lil town, its been a couple different restaurants over time, right now its a Mexican food place. Its also burned before, back before it was Mamas Daughters Dinner (right before the current Mexican Food Restaurant), it had caught on fire, but not a bad one. Now it was ablaze, the whole roof on fire. I was in awe at the site, a raging inferno, that if not for the Fireman (who were already working on putting things out) could spread and destroy the condos, and my own home.

Well i headed back home to give mom the news, and then went back to watch it. Camera in hand. I didn't get any pics because by the time i got back the fireman where just about done putting out the blaze. Thank God. So i started my walk home, thinking this ordeal was over, and i noticed that in the time i had been standing watching the fireman put the blaze out, the whole area around my house was blanketed in smoke, ground level smoke. Crap.

I had to walk through it, and i got myself on home. I started coughing up a lung once i was inside, still got a weird taste in my throat. It smelled like burning plastic, wood, Styrofoam, and more just caught in my nose and throat.

Well Im home now and fine, the first is out, and it doesn't look like it ever spread to anything else. Come tomorrow ill go take a picture of the damage to show ya what happened. For now, in case my words were too vague, heres a pretty picture i made, to kill some time, energy, and calm myself a bit (gfx work tends to do that).

no idea at all man. As i said i didnt even see it till it was going strong, and all the cops were too busy and i wasn't about to run up close and ask tongue.gif

Thanks JD, yea were all fine, i got a bit of a sore throat now, but ill get over it tongue.gif

Well i decided to go take a look. Couldn't get out the end of my street, they got it blocked off. Had to go a round about way to get out of my neighborhood, once i was though it only took me a minute to get back to the end of my street. The light at the end was off (power has gone off twice now, and the second power outage is what got me to go take a look) so there were stop signs in place, and even the next light, which was a light for a bridge over a major highway was out.

As i passed my street, i could see the edge of the building, which looked not too bad, considering the huge flames i saw gushing out of the roof not long ago. but as i got close enough i saw something different. The entire inside of the building is decimated. I mean absolutely destroyed. After the last fire they saved the building, not this time.

I dont know if anyone was, i havent ventured close enough to talk to any cops, and i dont think they will give me any details. I dont remember seeing an ambulance, but that could have gone by the time i got close enough.

End of the street is finnaly clear, and power is back on along with the street lights.

Last year we heard some sirens getting VERY loud so we took a look outside and our neighbor's house was on fire ! The thing was handled pretty quick but my neighbor didn't live in his house for a year. He had to make some renovations.