Taxes?

Erica

So, last year was the first year I had to file my taxes. I went in,paid some girl like 80 bucks to click some stuff one the computer, and then I left and received a check like four weeks later.

Do any of you know how to do your own taxes? Can I do them by myself?

*walks away*

Turbo Tax.

Easy as pie. I used to use H&R Tax Cut..... but I got pissed at it the last two years I was using.... did my last two years with Turbo Tax and its glorious.

I run my own business where I have get into all my business exspenses.... and you just walk your way through it.

IF you are pretty much just a W-2 person... then I imagine you should finish up within a half hour or so.

I started doing mine via software after my accountant screwed me over. overpaid......... grooooossssssly overpaid.

The software is $20..... and you get to write that off as well.

go for it.... its easy.

What about a business that has not made me any money?
I have my DBA but no sellers permit yet...

I have a BUNCH of receipts just because I thought they might come in handy?

I mean, If I do screw them up somehow, what is the worst thing that could happen?

An Audit...which is unlikely. You should be fine to do it yourself really. I have my own business too (a trucking company) and am able to cope with doing my own taxes so I don't think there is any reason you shouldn't be able to. With the computer software things are very easy...even filing the old fashioned way is not that hard...spend the 80 bucks on hookah stuff tongue.gif

It is very common for a first year business to not make any money in the eyes of the IRS.

As long as you are not making shit up... then your business just took a loss... an you have some serious write-offs.

The software handles all this input.... it asks you questions and all you have to do is add up the amount spent for that type of expense.

Running your own business can meant that a percentage of your vehicle use for business matter can be deducted , by mileage... or by itemized exspense. ... percentages of use of your house or rented housing can be deducted (for business use) Ths software walks you through it.

Do you have any 1099's this year?

i am going for a degree in game programming. one of my old professors told me i could write off any video games i buy since its "research." he has his own independent game company and does it all the time but havin his own business it makes sense...but as a student in the field would i be able to. i did it last year and got a nice refund but my friends keep tellin me i cant and i run the risk of getting audited. lake sounds like you know your stuff so i ask you! ohh yea turbo tax FTW! super easy.