Hey Geeks! Help Me Buy A Laptop Computer!

ioannisds

So, I'm thinking about getting a laptop as a second computer that I can travel with. I don't even know where to begin as far as brand, features, processor, etc, etc. I'm pretty well versed with desktops, but these skinny folding thingees with the buttons and a screen are a mystery to me.

I don't need it to do much. At all. I like to write. That's the main thing. I like to listen to music. Maybe watch the occasional movie or two on a road trip. No gaming. No photos/video authoring (do all that at home). Wireless internet would be cool, so I can be like those other posers in the coffee shops with wifi. And of course, I don't want to spend a lot. So what I'd like to know, given my criteria, is:

Which brands are good? Which suck balls?

Best processor?

Specific features/hardware which are must-have?

Upgradeability? (I don't want to buy a new one in a week, like I felt I had to with my iMac years ago).

Windows based? Or do I need to become an uber-elitist douche and buy a Mac? If so, why?

Etc.

Thanks for any help geeks. rolleyes.gif

well to start off, im an uber-elitist douche, and i love my mac. although, i wont preach mac to you, like a lot do. you said you didnt want to spend a lot, so mac is prolly out of the question anyways. im also a big HP fan, and i would highly reccomend them to anyone.

this is my personal pick for you based on what you specified. http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping...ons_continue.do

QUOTE (The Cameron @ Dec 25 2006, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well to start off, im an uber-elitist douche, and i love my mac. although, i wont preach mac to you, like a lot do. you said you didnt want to spend a lot, so mac is prolly out of the question anyways. im also a big HP fan, and i would highly reccomend them to anyone.

this is my personal pick for you based on what you specified. http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping...ons_continue.do

Thanks dude! But the link you gave me just goes to their homepage... Maybe a specific model #?

i love me my sony laptop. They are good on power, and this one has been my sisters for 3 years, and mine for 2 now, so they last ages. Its not great by todays standards, but it works for hanging out and here and the like. But there not really the best in terms of price.

If you want a sony, i would go with:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1158318674532
or
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1158317794288

And yea, besides that i like the HP laptops. Had 2 of em so i would reccomend one if you dont want to drop the money for a sony or Mac.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1162594730502
or
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1158319080012

And i would recomend no matter what you get, you reinstall windows right off the bat. Alot of the stuff preloaded on any laptop will just slow it down. A clean install of windows rocks. And alot of companies, like sony, have sites where you can download all the stuff you need to install off the bat, like video, touch pad, and more drivers.

I have a Dell (ordered direct). I have an e1505, 1.867 dual core, 512mb (bought an extra 1gb stick from Zipzoomfly), 120gb hdd, dvd+/-rw.

I love the thing. Works great, extremely well built IMO. And it runs linux flawlessly

I own a dell inspirion something or other.. kicks ass. Got it for christmas 2005.

I also have a sony vaio superslim that I have owned since 2001. nothing 650mhz, weighs like 2 lbs and about 3/4 on an inch thick.

I also have a toshiba laptop thats about 5 years old too.. held up well.

Don't forget to load Sibelius or Finale on to your computer whenever you get it smile.gif

Wish I could help you out more in way of opinions, I really haven't gotten into laptops much *mostly from being #1 cheap and #2 a gamer...*... best of luck!

Personally, the only laptops I've owned or dealt with that haven't completely sucked are ibm's and toshiba's offerings. As IBM seems to want a premium for the prestige, I went with Toshiba for my daily driver and have never regretted it.

Hey, thanks for all the help guys. After some research, I ended up buying the HP that The Cameron recommended. Seemed to get very favorable reviews, and I got a ROCKIN' deal on it ($549 after rebate at Fry's in Sacramento). I really appreciate all of your help and suggestions people. I always know I can count on you guys. smile.gif

The only input I can give you about wireless internet... is if you decide to go with an aircard...... dont pick the aircard with the butterfly antenna.... it has poorer reception in the channel that allows the most bandwidth at one time....

Even the older cards worked better than it does.... just some research I did for a friend.

Just to say
I'd go with a Lenovo Thinkpad.
For a base laptop, you get a decent setup that fits what you'd want, is built pretty solid (i've never heard of a thinkpad blowing up or melting like the dells and macs), and its just stands the test of time. Its good for the first time laptop owner and the old time laptop user.

Just solid

[edit]
haha... realized you got one already...
But in case anyone else is looking for a laptop, i'd still say go lenovo Edited by pboyle

Laptops are like Macs. You are stuck...

For gaming, stick with the towers, or mini cases for portability. Changing hardware is the mark of a true gamer.

If you need it 'mobile', as in war driving.. Get an inverter. Truckers use them for micro waves, TV's and 'stuff'... Get a cheap LCD, and the power will not burn your car wiring.

-btdt have extra wires from Canadian Tire to rewire my car with-

PSP makes a good war driving device btw.

Here ar my opinions

Dell makes a damn fine computer and has the best customer support, the Gov uses dell exclusively, and work great. I work for the Marine Corps doing IT and all we have are dells

IBM Thinkpad, great workhorse computers, tough as nails, they are expensive but def worth it, almost every business uses them

Acer, a good brand for the price, I bought my wife one for christmas

Mac, I have used mac since the first apple came out, great computer, but expensive as hell

For specs, I would say a dual core, since that is the way computers are going, but u can always go with single core. No less than 512Mb ram, dvd/cd burner is personal prefrence. If u buy an XP comp u can get a free upgrade to vista, not saying u should use vista when it comes out but good to have the free upgrade for it when it is worht useing if ever..lol

QUOTE (Oggie505 @ Dec 29 2006, 05:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dell makes a damn fine computer and has the best customer support, the Gov uses dell exclusively, and work great. I work for the Marine Corps doing IT and all we have are dells

how do they have good customer support. next time you are on the phone with the dude from dell ask him if it is sunny outside or not? they have no f'ing clue cuz they say they are posted in the US but they are straight up in india. my indian friends always make jokes about them cuz they give out names like steve or joe. dell gives these guys a list of names to use. Anyways, last time I had a dell labtop it took about an hour and 15 minutes to fix something with the customer support. I already knew what the problem was but was having trouble fixing it but of course they made me go through some bs tutorial to make sure it wasnt something else. I didnt ask to fix anything else! oh and dont forget the 45 minute wait before I cou;d even talk to a rep. Thats two hours to fix a simple problem. plus windows based labtops are vulnerable to viruses..

now with my mac. last time i had a problem it took 15 minutes to fix. i didnt have to wait on the phone and besides tht little glitch i havnt had a problem with it

I've been messing with my computer for a couple of days now guys, and I've come to the conclusion I would really REALLY like to do a clean install of Windows like EL suggested. My only problem is that a)it is Windows XP Media Center 2005 (from what I understand, only sold on retail computers), and b)all I'm able to do is a full system restore, as there was no OS disc included in the package, or available for download on HP's website. There is just so much garbage on the thing, and I can take it all off, but damn if it's not going to take me a month to do it.

Do you guys have any suggestions? I know I could, um, find a copy to install SOMEWHERE. But I'd really rather not take the chance of ending up with a buggy machine. I of course have the registration code for the OS. Can you guys tell me of anywhere where I can download a legit copy of XP Media Center 2005 to use with my machine? Thanks again for the help.