So I'm Downloading Linux...

james

Kind of. I picked up a Latitude c640 that has Windows 2000 on it, and I'll burn it before I pay $200 for the xp pro upgrade. So, I'm trying Ubuntu.

Opinions? Anyone using Ubuntu? I'm a linux virgin. Is it going to make me cry?

With love,
james

Ubuntu is very friendly and plays nice with the n00bs... you'll find it very similar to using a Windows or Mac OS desktop (both at once, really, since it has an open programs bar at the bottom and a file info bar at the top).
Just play with it, you don't need to go learning UNIX Terminal controls just yet. Edited by majoru

My home has been 100% linux since 2004, and prior to that we had a linux server running our network. The biggest thing to remember is that linux is a different operating system...it's like moving to a new country, with new language, idioms and rules. Half of my initial problems were that I was still "thinking like a windows user"...Which there is nothing wrong with persay, but it isn't going to help you much in the land of the penguin.

As for your specific distro choice, I cannot recommend Ubuntu (or any of the *buntu's for that matter) enough. I was a tried and true Debian user until Ubuntu came along, and their spit-polish on top of debian's stable core makes for a damn fine desktop.

Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.

QUOTE (Zerodynamic @ Dec 23 2006, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ok so this may sound like a dumb question.. but what are the primary difference between linux/windows/mac?

Firstly, let me say that I use Ubuntu linux (currently version 6.10 "edgy")

Linux and Mac are both based off of Unix. Mac is closest related to actual Unix and BSD. Linux is based off a Unix variant from the late 80's called Minix, but Linux now uses mainly GNU based tools, hence the sometimes name of GNU Linux

Windows is it's own thing...based off it's own kernel.

only things that stir up trouble get edited. those who continue meet the mighty fist/hammer/hachet/llama of doom the moderators weild ;-)

As for linux, i love Ubuntu, i just cant continue to use it because it doesnt like my wireless internet at all XD

QUOTE (james @ Dec 25 2006, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Damn. When it tries to automatically partition my disk, it hangs up for hours doing nothing. Doesn't seem to want me to partition it manually, either.

HULP PLZ!!1!1!

You using the desktop CD, or the alternate?

I use the alternate (text-based) install personally.

or maybe the mods dont like linux. haha

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Naw, sometimes I post after a HUGE hit, and it goes.

blah-blah-blah.....

Anyrate...

Linux dude... Please tell us what distro you got, hardware you are running, and I'll do the best I can..

I personally run PCLinuxOS..

I am using opteron (AMD) dual core processors w/ ATI video cards.

SuSe 10.2 (I am using 64-bit) has set-up pretty much flawlessly biggrin.gif (I just have to get it to kill the old install which takes some work). It has done a pretty good job when #buntu has croaked on the video cards setup. Gets my sound card okay (analog so far, haven't fiddled w/ digital so I can hook up to home theater huh.gif )
Newest version even shows WMV files okay biggrin.gif Edited by hookahmike

I like PCLinuxOS, great distro!

I am currently using Sabayon, very nice distro and easily recognizes and configures for Intel2200 Wireless..
I actually have a dual boot, winxp and sabayon, using the windows MBR to select the operating system (this makes for future partition editing easier down the road) My partitions are sda1-boot(50mb-used for grub), sda2-sabayon, sda3-swap, sda4-winxp, sda5-SHARED-DRIVE(Fat32 to be used by both operating systems)

QUOTE (stevehookah @ Dec 28 2006, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am on the R&D team. cool.gif

The unofficial date/time is mid January.. Beta includes FF 2, and all kinds of goodies...

QUOTE (rattler @ Dec 28 2006, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PCLinuxOS 0.93a is awsome! 0.94 is supposed to be coming out soon and have many improvements. Perhaps you can give it a try when it comes out?

*rubs hands together* Sounds like a wonderful late Christmas present from Texstar and the crew!