When pottery meets hookahs?

ShishaFred

• 1 month later...
i have juts made two small phunell bowls. And by small i mean way smaller than the normal small funnell. I have yet to smoke out of it but it looks really good. By the way I have a pottery studio at my school that i can use if i want to and used to do pottery a lot in highschool. But i cant wait to try it will post when i do.

• 2 weeks later...
hey guys, my friend is pretty good at pottery, he's been doing it for about 4 or 5 years, and I'm making him make me one. Anyone know how wide the opening of the bowl should be, that is the part that plugs onto the stem? Also, for the funnel, how large should the top hole be?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
You can build a kiln out of bricks. Using wood as the heat source you can easily do it. All you have to do to get clay for free is dig, around swampy areas. Perhaps a ditch on the side of the road would be a good place to look. To test your clay try making a ball in your hands, then roll it to a snake shape and roll it around your finger. If it passes those tests it should be able to be used for firing. Clay usually has an orangish color to it, other than porcelain kind of stuff. Glazing is relatively easy, you can mix a lot of water with a little bit of clay and add metal oxides and stir that, paint it on after you've fired the bowl and fire it again, it should work. Oh, borax! You need to add borax to the glaze to get it to flow when it's molten.
I'll get into more detail about all of this stuff later, school and work call for me. 9:00pm pst tonightish I'll try to make a more detailed post.

• 1 month later...
It is very easy to make your own bowls, which is great...for several reasons:

1. Minimal economic impact.
-Actually, it is MUCH cheaper to make your own bowls than to buy them. For example, I use a non-toxic (make sure) clay which can be baked in a conventional oven, 30 mins for each 1/4" of thickness. You don't have to buy a wheel. You don't have to buy a kiln. The only tools you may need are this: clay, a glass of water, newspaper (on which to work), and some shaping/carving tools like drill bits, small screwdrivers, skewers, etc.
-I buy this clay in 10 lb. blocks for 5.95 a block. You know how many bowls i can make out of 10 lbs. of clay? For less than $6? Exactly like I want?

2. Ease of customization.
-You can create bowls similar (or exact) in design to production versions, but with your own modifications to better fit your setup.
-You can modify contemporary designs. Another example, I have created an all-clay variation of the Scalli mod, with the center baffle counter-sunk into the base of the bowl over the hole in its base, allowing the bowl to be smoked in a rotary pattern, without any toxic materials, and even and consistent heat distribution throughout the shisha.

3. Ease of experimentation.
-As above, it is easy to create new bowl structures aside from the conventional tray or funnel, with minor variations such as baffles, diffusers, and shape changes. A final example: I am currently working on a bowl that will utilize rising heat from the coal(s) to keep the shisha at a consistent temperature. The bowl is actually more of a tube, shaped like an upside-down "U", and with a small tray/box at the bottom of the outside leg. This way, the shisha is heated when the heat from the coal(s) rises. Also, the shisha is packed in a vertical tube (as opposed to a horizontal disc-shape) allowing the shisha to ALL be heated simultaneously, and all cooked and smoked.

As one can see, creating and fashioning one's own bowls out of clay is quite the optimal method to enhance the art of hookah.

If this doesn't really make much sense, just pm me. Any questions/ideas will be much welcomed.

-m.s.

QUOTE (Magamba Satta @ Jun 20 2007, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is very easy to make your own bowls, which is great...for several reasons:

1. Minimal economic impact.
-Actually, it is MUCH cheaper to make your own bowls than to buy them. For example, I use a non-toxic (make sure) clay which can be baked in a conventional oven, 30 mins for each 1/4" of thickness. You don't have to buy a wheel. You don't have to buy a kiln. The only tools you may need are this: clay, a glass of water, newspaper (on which to work), and some shaping/carving tools like drill bits, small screwdrivers, skewers, etc.
-I buy this clay in 10 lb. blocks for 5.95 a block. You know how many bowls i can make out of 10 lbs. of clay? For less than $6? Exactly like I want?

2. Ease of customization.
-You can create bowls similar (or exact) in design to production versions, but with your own modifications to better fit your setup.
-You can modify contemporary designs. Another example, I have created an all-clay variation of the Scalli mod, with the center baffle counter-sunk into the base of the bowl over the hole in its base, allowing the bowl to be smoked in a rotary pattern, without any toxic materials, and even and consistent heat distribution throughout the shisha.

3. Ease of experimentation.
-As above, it is easy to create new bowl structures aside from the conventional tray or funnel, with minor variations such as baffles, diffusers, and shape changes. A final example: I am currently working on a bowl that will utilize rising heat from the coal(s) to keep the shisha at a consistent temperature. The bowl is actually more of a tube, shaped like an upside-down "U", and with a small tray/box at the bottom of the outside leg. This way, the shisha is heated when the heat from the coal(s) rises. Also, the shisha is packed in a vertical tube (as opposed to a horizontal disc-shape) allowing the shisha to ALL be heated simultaneously, and all cooked and smoked.

As one can see, creating and fashioning one's own bowls out of clay is quite the optimal method to enhance the art of hookah.

If this doesn't really make much sense, just pm me. Any questions/ideas will be much welcomed.

-m.s.

I would LOVE to see pictures! sounds really interesting!

Well to be honest with you i made one of these when i was in school in art class. I shaped it and fired it, then glazed it and fired it again, works decent but bought ones seem to be better for some odd reason.