When pottery meets hookahs?

ShishaFred

How realistic do you think it would be making homemade bowls out of clay?
I have no idea if that's even to be considered as a project but I was just thinking how cool it would be to make some bowls , and possibly phunnel bowls , and you could paint them the way you want .

Considering the low price of clay you could make 1 for each of your flavours and draw the apples or melon on em tongue.gif

Really gotta be feeling artsy to think like that hehe.

I think you'd need the proper equipment, like a kiln right? Or maybe if you buy a special type of clay that doesn't require the same heat a kiln produces, but I was under the impression that clay bowls needed to be super hot in order to harden properly.

But yeah, clay is pretty cheap I imagine. Go to your local, uh.. clay store? And ask them what type of special equipment is required to properly treat a clay bowl.

Ive tried using some mexican clay that supposedly doesnt require a kiln.....got it at Hobby Lobby...... but it tasted like ass when I fired it off.

I would imagine if you did have all the goods..... and preferably a way to glaze... then you could make stuff just as good or better than the Egyptians do....

... so you think that renting out kiln space, buying high quality clay, buying glaze, trying to get it right (assuming you arent a potter alreadY), etc. would work out better than spending 28 bucks.

if youre doing it for fun thats a good idea, and could be alot of fun. if not... maybe just save up or see if you can find a place with cheap shipping.

i think that making your own bowls wouldnt be a bad idea at all. i dont know if you have a highschool nearby that might have that equipment to either throw it on a pottery wheel or if you want to just do it by hand and then the kilm to fire the clay. i know at my old highschool that have that stuff ive been thinking of going back and throwing some stuff for the hookah.

i actually bought a kiln a few weeks ago to do just anything... i got it at a auction, its a old one and i havent tried it yet but mabye after i get some time ill make some and let you guys know how they came out.

I kinda am going in a similar direction, but im learning glass blowing from a friend who does it for a living, maybe ill start making custom hand made glass bases for hookah forum members only ;-)

as for bowls, i say if you have access, go for it. Maybe youll make a new design that will rock the hookah world, like the funnel bowl biggrin.gif

I'd have to talk to my pops about it, since I have no knowledge of kilns etc, but my dad has a pretty snazzy/expensive setup for lampwork glass beadmaking, and has a snazzy kiln. Not sure how high the temp goes to, but we'll see. But I still think it's easier to just order one online... But yeah I agree that it might be fun to smoke out of something you created.

As for the school letting you use their kilns, I doubt that will happen... They of course are going to ask you what you will be making, and unless you flat out lie, they will never allow you to make any sort of a 'bowl'. They will automatically assume its for drug purposes, and kick your ass out. Our school was very strict on the drug parafanalia subject, and a few kids got suspended in my ceramics class for trying to make their own pipes...

They clay that you can heat in the oven is usually toxic. It usually says not to drink or eat out of it.. lol.. so I doubt it would be a good idea.. and Im sure if you go to your local art store, they will have signs up for renting out kiln space. That way you dont have to worry about what a high school teacher will say. lol

Also, I think it's a lot harder then it seems.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (ShishaFred @ Nov 28 2006, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How realistic do you think it would be making homemade bowls out of clay?
I have no idea if that's even to be considered as a project but I was just thinking how cool it would be to make some bowls , and possibly phunnel bowls , and you could paint them the way you want .

Considering the low price of clay you could make 1 for each of your flavours and draw the apples or melon on em tongue.gif

Really gotta be feeling artsy to think like that hehe.

Pottery is not easy. There is alot of stuff you need to do, and learn, before you can make a good bowl. You need to wedge the clay first (if you intend on using a potters wheel.) It'd take less time if you made it by hand but the bowl would probly look like shit. Also, you'd need two kilns if you want a glazed bowl: one to harden the bowl and one to do the glaze with. I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but its not realistic at all unless you have access to clay, chemicals to mix the glazes (unless you can get them pre-mixed), a good potters wheel, an electric kiln and a gas kiln.

You do not need two different types of kilns. It depends on the type of glaze you want to use. You can use the same kiln for glazing and bisquing (hardening the clay) If you want to use something like a copper based glaze you need more heat, hence the gas kiln. But for simple glazes the same kiln should be fine.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I took a pottery class (A LOT of fun!) and made some pretty cool $h!T, and never had any problems, I wasn't smoking hookah at the time, or I would have made a bowl! I have to go to the class one of these days, to re-glaze a mug I made...when I do, I am gonna bring my phunnel bowl and another bowl and see if my instructor can re-create them!? I might even bring my base and see about making a cool ass base..!?