planning to realize a dream

Coleman

Alright folks I know the forums been fairly inactive for a while and so have I but I wanted to share something with you guys as I think this will be an interesting thing to you. I posted here as I wasn't sure which location this fit best. So in California I became an avid hiker and having worked at an outdoor store I made other friends who share my passion for nature and hiking. Lately I've began hiking a lot, at least once a week to be exact. Having g moved to the east coast, north Carolina, it's actually possible to take a true adventure. Me and a co-worker, who I've been hiking with, have actually decided to take a trek and find a way to hike the appalachian trail. Our plan is to actually attempt a documentary process of some sort but we are still working out the kinks on that, taking planning one step at a time. Right now I'm reading the trail guide for this year, even though we are not expecting to hike the trail for the next few years. Basically I have been looking for this one thing in life that makes me feel alive and I feel this will be it. The moment I have always dreamed of, and I intend to document it all in writing as writing is one thing I hold dear to myself. I wanted to share this with you guys as I feel you all would find it interesting. I will try my hardest to keep you guys updated on our planning and our path towards the hike. 

Drop in over here some day, come check out the alps.

Sounds like a plan. I'd kill to hike all over the world. Plus hanging out with you would be a bonus

That's awesome dude! I hope that works out for you! The biggest downside to documentary filmmaking while hiking is the weight of the camera and associated gear. For real. Weight is the number one reason NOT to take a camera. But, if you can handle that, go for it. I say figure out what a bunch of camera equipment would weigh (my guess is somewhere between 20 and 30lbs, all said and done) and load up an extra bag with that much weight, strap it to your pack and do your normal hikes with that. That will tell you real quick if it's something you want to, or can, do.

That's awesome dude! I hope that works out for you! The biggest downside to documentary filmmaking while hiking is the weight of the camera and associated gear. For real. Weight is the number one reason NOT to take a camera. But, if you can handle that, go for it. I say figure out what a bunch of camera equipment would weigh (my guess is somewhere between 20 and 30lbs, all said and done) and load up an extra bag with that much weight, strap it to your pack and do your normal hikes with that. That will tell you real quick if it's something you want to, or can, do.

The plan isn't really to film the hike itself but the lead up though filming the hike itself would be nice. But we also don't want to add that much weight since we are already expecting at least 40 lbs of weight with our packs. But I'm quite excited and doing a lot of research. 

Well, I mean, you could always go the gopro route? They have come a long way.

Yeah, I'm also looking in to arc'tyrex. Really well known well made clothing and packs. Pricey but worth it. Life time warranty 

If you want, you should contact my brother. My brother and his 3 buddies did a documentary where they biked (bicycles) halfway across the country for a summer and couch surfed along the way. He's a filming major so you could ask him what you did...or ask him to come with you as he is into that stuff and would love to do the film and film editing for it. Just let me know and I can get you in contact with him or show you his youtube channel.

If you want, you should contact my brother. My brother and his 3 buddies did a documentary where they biked (bicycles) halfway across the country for a summer and couch surfed along the way. He's a filming major so you could ask him what you did...or ask him to come with you as he is into that stuff and would love to do the film and film editing for it. Just let me know and I can get you in contact with him or show you his youtube channel.

Thanks a lot man I wilwill make susure to take you up on that offer

coleman i know this is weird coming from me, but thats amazing man! im happy that you found something to make you feel life is worth living! but may i suggest a go pro and a SHIT TON of huge sd cards? they are small and light weight, then u cna label them by day.  also they have solar pannels that are light weight and u can charge batteries with them, that way you dont need to carry a bunch.

coleman i know this is weird coming from me, but thats amazing man! im happy that you found something to make you feel life is worth living! but may i suggest a go pro and a SHIT TON of huge sd cards? they are small and light weight, then u cna label them by day.  also they have solar pannels that are light weight and u can charge batteries with them, that way you dont need to carry a bunch.

Yeah, with the trail being as long as it is we would probably be throwing more SD cards in with our packages of food. But the solar panels was something we were discussing solar panels anyways as a means to charge are phones to call back home when we hit towns on the rare occasion. 

well think how small they are and they have ones that are like 260gb etc big ones. u can hold like 20 cards size of a pack of gum plus u wont be recording the entire time. and they dont have massive files.