One Of The Cats At My Moms House Has Cushing's Disease

agunn1231

Got a call this morning from my mom after she got off the phone with her vet. A cat we got 8 years ago has cushing's disease. He has been showing symptoms for about 3 years, but my mom was too lazy to take him to the vet to figure out what was wrong, I don't know why she finally decided to take him in, but I am glad that she did. 

Looks like the main option is to have some ultrasounds done, figure out if there are tumors on his adrenal glands, if they have spread, and to figure out if his pituitary gland has been affected. Depending on that info, he may need to have his adrenal glands removed, and worse case scenario is brain surgery as well, then after that a strict medical regiment. 

My mother is incompetent when it comes to taking care of sick pets, the other cat at her house is diabetic, and she rarely gives him his medicine, and waits months to get new insulin when she finally does run out. 

I am at a point that I want what is best for Aspen, that's the kitty with Cushings, even if that means putting him down, he has been so whacked out and acting weird for so long, and I don't wanna put him through any more unnecessary trauma. 

Well update, kinda, guess that the diabetic cat is now going into renal failure. 

Got the diabetic kitty when I was in kindergarten, and got the one with cushings when I was a freshman in high school.

Kinda sad, but luckily i'm not as down about it as I was when i first found out. 

I totally know how you're feeling. I have always had cats growing up. I had an orange male cat that was my best friend for the longest time. I lost him to cancer when a tumor developed on his paw, the vet told me these tumors always grow in groups, and as soon as he removed one, the next one would begin to grow. I knew I wouldn't be buying my old friend any good time, and made the decision to let him rest. Not a day goes by that  I don't miss that little guy. I hope it turns around for you man. But you're in my thoughts and prayers.

Thanks, my mom is out of town right now so I have been stopping by to feed the cats and spend some time with them, The 18 year old, Gent, is really vocal lately, and the 8 year old, Aspen, was super playful and happy today. Yesterday when I stopped by Gent was stumbling around and couldn't walk a straight line, and Aspen immediately hid.