Kvass

wvloony

ok so i gave up drinking alcohol many years ago, due to the hangovers.  here within the past year id say i have really begun to love drinking kvass.  dont know how many russians we have here, but i would love to start making it myself.  any suggestions would be helpful.

First you'd have to tell me at least what kvass is.  I'm not up on Russian beverages.  Secondly if you like drinking but had to give it up because of hangovers, you're not drinking correctly.  Further explanation cheerfully and willingly offered.

'Rani

Kvass Is a malt beverage non alcoholic of course that is a traditional drink in the Slavic countries, it has been imported to this country and available in many euro markets. And as for giving up drinking, I am 47 with three kids, money is needed in other areas now, and I don't miss it that terribly much

Obviously I've never had kvass, but from your description I might like it.  I like the darker yeastier beers and my guess it kvass is somewhat similar?  Perhaps like Malta from the D.R.?

'Rani

And rani, its something you can take to work and drink without any issues of drinking on the job, Hell most euro markets sell it by the 2 litre bottle

Kvass is made from bread. It's not actually malted. Here's what wikipedia has to say on the matter:

Kvass is made by the natural fermentation of bread, such as wheatrye, or barley, and sometimes flavoured using fruitberriesraisins, or birch sap collected in the early spring. Modern homemade kvass most often uses black or regular rye bread, usually dried (called plural suhari), baked into croutons, or fried, with the addition of sugar or fruit (e.g., applesor raisins), and with a yeast culture and zakvaska ("kvass fermentation starter").

Sounds pretty good, may have to look into this

I'll second that..... We do have a fairly large Russian community in Long Beach, so there may be stores that have it available in that area.

'Rani

Kvass is awesome. I live in a very large Russian neighborhood and every store has it. Definitely try it. Following my religious customs i can even find it kosher :D

I know I went thru two 2 litres over the weekend, Hell in just 2 days, that's kinda why I want a recipe to make it

In researching it, I discovered that Amazon.com has a couple books with recipes.  I found one online as well but I don't remember the website.  I did a generic search for kvass.  I think it was from a Russian bakery that uses their unsold rye bread or something.  Anyway, I also discovered that it's considered a "new" beer.  Left alone after brewing it will turn alcoholic.

'Rani