Rental Reference

Hey guys, had a pretty important "fuck you" thrown in my face today, need some help. 

so we've been living at our current apartment for exactly a year in a month. We are moving away from one of our roommates, And thought we wouldn't have a problem.

The place we applied at said we apparently failed our renters reference.

Okay, so, we haven't been the most honest tenants.

we own two cats, didn't tell them, and have A LOT of guests, but we live at the back of the complex so it doesn't seem to bother anyone. Also we make out rent on time every month, we've never been late.

They have not however, said anything to us. Never had a complaint or anything.

How could we have failed? please let me know if anyone knows any secrets to this.

Well you said you haven't been the most honest tenants. Also you didn't tell them you have cats which probably hurt you a lot. I don't think they legally have to tell you if some one complains against you. I don't know or sure though

Sigh......... You have a friend call them, pretend to be your potential landlord and ask for a reference.  See what they say.  Funny though, the first thing I thought of was that maybe it was your roommate they talked to.  The one you're trying to move away from?  If the lease is in his name they may have asked him questions.  I figure there's something going on or you wouldn't be trying to move away from them, right?  But the easiest way to find out is to have someone call and pretend to be getting a reference.  Could also be the new place just didn't want to rent to you for whatever reason and use a bad reference as an excuse.  Next time, do what every body else does...... Have a friend as your current "landlord".  I love my landlord to death and he's been very good to me.  But do you think I'd want him to know I was looking?  Oh, no.  I'd have a friend giving the reference.  The first my landlord would hear about it would be with the 30 day notice.

'Rani

No offense, but perhaps you guys just annoy your neighbors a bit more than you think, and they just don't call anybody on you. I am VERY thankful to have just gotten out of the apts I was living at. We were there 5 years and the first 3 years were great. Then they got a new landlady and she let it all go to shit. Let the riff raff in, if you know what I mean. Every night it was noisy, and during the day too. I worked alternating shifts so it was super annoying. Guy below us had band practice in his tiny-ass one bedroom apt. It was ridiculous. My wife was always scared to call the cops but we were forced to ultimately, as the landlady would just send an email to the guy asking if had been playing musical instruments during the night. Ridiculous. Other neighbors also called cops on him. Anyway, perhaps your neighbors or even your landlord just thinks you guys are noisy, or have too much traffic in and out. Perception is often key with these things. I do not know as I am not physically there on a regular basis to see for myself. Either way, good luck with finding a new place.

Also, hiding pets is a huge no-no. I tried that once and ended up having to pay a $500 pet fee. Not refundable. So that alone may be why they did not give you a good reference...

thank you guys for the quick responses, but we found out what it was. essentially, we got a flag saying our apt was "messy" because we have curtains up that "do not have white backings" which apparently was against our lease... so. idk. whatever. i think we can make this work though lol

Yeah some apartments have silly rules like that. Some you can't even have window treatments at all or it is against the lease.

thank you guys for the quick responses, but we found out what it was. essentially, we got a flag saying our apt was "messy" because we have curtains up that "do not have white backings" which apparently was against our lease

Dumbest thing Ive heard all year. The curtain rule I mean.

thank you guys for the quick responses, but we found out what it was. essentially, we got a flag saying our apt was "messy" because we have curtains up that "do not have white backings" which apparently was against our lease

Dumbest thing Ive heard all year. The curtain rule I mean.

It certainly seems dumb from the inside, but think of it from the Apt's point of view, literally. 

Your windows are virtually the only part of your apartment that is open to the public (aside from a balcony or car that's not garaged).  If all the windows look nice and uniform from the outside, potential renters are more likely to stop by to check out the apartments. 

If the windows are covered with blankets, flags, plywood or whatever happens to be laying around, it is seriously going to reduce the number of people who will even consider renting there.

i understand the extremes.. but my roommate just has a black blanket, which looks like a nice set of curtains, the place we live at wasnt even that concerned about it (they never even told us about it) it was the new place that didn't look into it first, but the managers there are really trying to work with us, so thats good news