Assault Rifles

r1v3th3ad

My dad and I are considering getting another assault rifle. he already has a wood stock. ak 47...Armenian. What brought this up was Saturday I was at Dunham buying him ammo and ear muffs with a microphone and I saw they had an AR 15 for $1000 and its on sale Sunday and today for I believe $799. I fell in love with it. so now we are considering going halves on one and I'll eventually buy his half.
So, help us find a good one at a good price please :)

I believe this is the one we are looking at...same specs, .223 carbide gas fed

http://www.dunhamssports.com/products/bushmaster-optics-ready-carbine/

That's not a bad price, and it's only going to go up. People are buying millions of firearms a month now along with tons of ammunition.

Personally I'd go for something a bit larger like the .308, but they cost a lot more and are a little more expensive to feed on a regular basis.

I wouldn't mind a higher caliber but we are considering recoil too...3 shots in my 300 short mag and my arm hurts for a week plus bruised...this rifle though has a spring in the stock that absorbs it

I was told today that Panther is the way to go...many ways to rebuild it with aftermarket parts and it is superior to Bushmaster...thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...
I have a DPMS Panther. Chambered for .223 and 5.56 NATO. Have shot about 2 thousand rounds through it so far. Zero failure to feed. Zero failure to eject. Shoots everything I feed it with zero issues including cheap Russian steel cased ammo.
I'll never consider any other AR-15 aside form another DPMS Panther.
budsgunshop.com and cheaperthandirt.com always have great prices on AR-15's. Can't go wrong with brands like DPMS, Bushmaster, Colt, Rock River Arms. When it comes down to it, EVERY AR-15 is made with the SAME interchangeable parts, REGARDLESS of the manufacturer. Only difference is the QUALITY of those parts. An AR-15 is an AR-15 is an AR-15 lol.
If you look around you can sometimes find DPMS's and Bushmasters online for as low as $600.

You won't regret an AR-15. Cheap to shoot. FUN FUN to shoot. And probably THE MOST accurate gun I own. (and I own a lot of guns). I shoot 1.5" groups at 100 yards all day with it.
  • Upvote 1

Buddy of mine has that same gun. It has practically no kick, which is good for quick, accurate rapid fire for the zombie apocalypse.
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1342626231' post='551996']
Buddy of mine has that same gun. It has practically no kick, which is good for quick, accurate rapid fire for the zombie apocalypse.
[/quote]

Haha yeah, I was about to say, "Guess you're gonna be set for the zombie apocalypse, huh, Pat?!"

Only reason I'd buy an AK is to kill zombies. I need to start training soon...

AK's are fun and stupid reliable. And pack a serious punch due to a pretty good size bullet (7.62x39).

But I'd still choose my AR over it. No AK is as accurate as an AR-15.

And if we're talking in terms or Zombie apocalypse, you can store my .223 rounds in less space due to it being smaller. haha. ;)
I'm just biased towards AR's.

• 2 weeks later...
Full power battle rifle, or just stick with the tent-post, er, I mean klash. Fn 50.00, H&K 91, SCARS, AR-10 variant.

That bean-launcher 5.56 is for people that try to overcome shitty marksmanship with volume of fire, a tactic that never works.

[quote name='TheScotsman' timestamp='1343955309' post='553205']
Full power battle rifle, or just stick with the tent-post, er, I mean klash. Fn 50.00, H&K 91, SCARS, AR-10 variant.

That bean-launcher 5.56 is for people that try to overcome shitty marksmanship with volume of fire, a tactic that never works.
[/quote]

Um...ok. Did you read the original post at all? Edited by bruceg

I have an LMT Defender 2000 .223. It's a great gun, but a bit out of your price range. That said, the Bushy you linked is great rifle. .223 is a great versatile round that doesn't much hurt your wallet or your shoulder. Go for it!

[quote name='bruceg' timestamp='1344125685' post='553349']
[quote name='TheScotsman' timestamp='1343955309' post='553205']

[/quote]

Um...ok. Did you read the original post at all?
[/quote]
Sure did... 5.56 still sucks. Fine for prairie dogs, and the occasional coyote, beyond that it's useless. Only ones worth owning are a real pre-ban AUG, or the aforementioned SCARS in the pissant caliber, the TAR-21 (if you live in Canada, not allowed in USA), Valmet made a decent, however fugly bullpup back in the mid 90's. A 10 pound + .22 rifle is too cumbersome to justify the lame ballistics of the 5.56x45.

What are we planning to shoot? People or animals? One person or many? Offense or defense? Being a sniper or repelling an onslaught? Small game or large game? Paper targets at 100 yds? Metal targets at 25 yds? Zombies? Vampires?

The choice of weapon depends on what you're intending to do with it.
For just going to the range and having fun, I like my Ruger 10/22. :D

[quote name='KasbahBazaar' timestamp='1344133168' post='553355']
I have an LMT Defender 2000 .223. It's a great gun, but a bit out of your price range. That said, the Bushy you linked is great rifle. .223 is a great versatile round that doesn't much hurt your wallet or your shoulder. Go for it!
[/quote]

Except please do not buy it from that place. You can buy that exact gun on budsgunshop.com for $700 lol
This one even has a red dot. [url="http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/60/products_id/69657/Rifles/Bushmaster"]http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/60/products_id/69657/Rifles/Bushmaster[/url] Edited by bruceg