Farida (Nickel Plated Zanouba)

joytron

Ordered this about a month ago for a friend and since there has not been a lot of talk about the Farida, I figured I would post up a pic and give my two cents about the piece.

This is my friends third real hookah, first was a bohemian mya, which he was not a fan of due to restriction and the open heart. Next I recommended he try a brass temsaah, which smoked well but he never really enjoyed due to the shoddy craftsmanship, purge issues, and the fact that the gasket it arrived with was cut to make fit, resulting in leaks. Finally black Friday he picked up a farida from Mahir at Nazar Hookah and is finally satisfied with a quality pipe.

I was quite impressed as well. Farida does a great job of blending both what I consider to be the masculine qualities of the popular Egyptian argilehs along with the more feminine ornateness of Syrian ones. The result is a pipe that feels both traditional yet still unique.

The welds are almost flawless and the build quality is comparable to an older AF hookah I once owned. It is also the heavier than any stem I have used; somewhat heavier than the AF and considerably more so than the Temsaah and KMs I have owned.

The etchings are much more remarkable in person but that is something more of personal taste. Everything else is pretty much as expected, large diameter tubing, temsaahesque hose port, and a quality purge.

There are some drawbacks, but like a bowl of soup, the broth is the essence of the meal, and that is perfect. The tray is very light and looks like something you would find on a brandless Egyptian pipe. The hose is absolute garbage, the one I got leaked from a hole in the port tip as well as the connection to the tubing and handle. While it looks nice and is the only farida hose I have used I have little faith in the others. The bowl is even worse, cracked and completely irregular.

The vase mahir so patiently (after the request of several photos on several stems) paired with it seems fine, no wobble and the paint still has not peeled. The design is personal preference and something I am fond of and the quality meets expectations but does not really exceed them in any way, but is still an improvement to most vases I have owned.

Sorry The photos are not better, I really do not know how to use a camera.

[img]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa223/swoggiemaster/DSC03803.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa223/swoggiemaster/DSC03805.jpg[/img]

Dude, that is so baller status right there.

Syrians are feminine? You callin' my Nawras a girl?! Well, I'd like to rather think I'm smoking from a girl than a guy, so...

Great post Jess. Loved the descriptions. I gotta say, Farida interests me way more than anything KM is putting out these days.

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1325089655' post='533991'] Dude, that is so baller status right there. Syrians are feminine? You callin' my Nawras a girl?! Well, I'd like to rather think I'm smoking from a girl than a guy, so... Great post Jess. Loved the descriptions. I gotta say, Farida interests me way more than anything KM is putting out these days. [/quote]

Lol my thoughts exactly. I really like that model might pick one up if I can find it for cheap enough. Those bases must be hit or miss mine was pretty well made but not very strong (broke in shipping), I've heard other mixed things about them. So basically if you like it just baby it.

well done jess dude yah i want a fraida i have for a while we got the km cuase its my favorite color but we want an oxidized one, just need to save some money maybe you guys can bring it into bulldog one night

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1325089655' post='533991']
Dude, that is so baller status right there.

Syrians are feminine? You callin' my Nawras a girl?! Well, I'd like to rather think I'm smoking from a girl than a guy, so...

Great post Jess. Loved the descriptions. I gotta say, Farida interests me way more than anything KM is putting out these days.
[/quote]

Yeah, they did a great job of putting out a pipe that is very unique without it coming as gaudy and over the top like a lot of KMs
[quote name='littlec' timestamp='1325106134' post='534018']
[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1325089655' post='533991'] Dude, that is so baller status right there. Syrians are feminine? You callin' my Nawras a girl?! Well, I'd like to rather think I'm smoking from a girl than a guy, so... Great post Jess. Loved the descriptions. I gotta say, Farida interests me way more than anything KM is putting out these days. [/quote]

Lol my thoughts exactly. I really like that model might pick one up if I can find it for cheap enough. Those bases must be hit or miss mine was pretty well made but not very strong (broke in shipping), I've heard other mixed things about them. So basically if you like it just baby it.
[/quote]
Yeah most vases are not really that impressive so my standards are fairly low, and while it does seem a little thin in spots my friend was so partial to the design that he was really not very concerned with the highest quality. I think it less flawed than a lot of glass on KMs but only time will tell how durable it is.
[quote name='Pavo21' timestamp='1325106718' post='534021']
well done jess dude yah i want a fraida i have for a while we got the km cuase its my favorite color but we want an oxidized one, just need to save some money maybe you guys can bring it into bulldog one night
[/quote]
He is really protective over the pipe that I would have a hard time talking him into taking it with us. Anyways just got back in town last night so we will have to meet up at Bulldogs again soon.

That is gorgeous. Haven't seen an egyptian I liked particularly in a long time. Saw a Farida on a vendor website recently and wondered about it - thank you for the review!

Just to throw my two cents in...

I love my Farida. I have an oxidized wellington model, and there are really just two differences in mine vs your experience.

One - I got a Farida vase with it. I love it, but that goes to show that Mahir is willing to swap stuff up. So those are available.

Two - I would have said something to Mahir about the hose, because my Farida hose has been flawless. Bigger then a large Nammor, has a handle style port end, and a wide open draw. I have smoked with it plenty of times with no issue.

[quote name='Floataround' timestamp='1325363616' post='534277']
Just to throw my two cents in...

I love my Farida. I have an oxidized wellington model, and there are really just two differences in mine vs your experience.

One - I got a Farida vase with it. I love it, but that goes to show that Mahir is willing to swap stuff up. So those are available.

Two - I would have said something to Mahir about the hose, because my Farida hose has been flawless. Bigger then a large Nammor, has a handle style port end, and a wide open draw. I have smoked with it plenty of times with no issue.
[/quote]

Yeah, I talked to him about the hose, he is actually sending me a razan replacement (of my choosing) for free. He really stepped up on the entire order and was a pleasure to work with. He also swapped out the vase for no extra charge.