Loyalty

I woke up one morning to find I was living in the Evil Empire

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1314435544' post='521570']
[quote name='TheScotsman' timestamp='1314409404' post='521535']
crush them,
stomp them,
mutilate them,
topple their gov't, and stomp their dicks into the sand.

They made the first attack, now they pay the cost.
[/quote]

That's really what you think we should do to them? I'm disappointed in you. You are a PRIME example as to why they hate us and have attacked us. If we showed a little bit more respect for the rest of the world, don't you think they'd show us some in return?

In my opinion, WE made the first "attack." Remember the coup of 1953 in Iran? Ya know, the one where we went in, took out their leader, and installed our own guy?

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Iranian_coup_d%27%C3%A9tat"]http://en.wikipedia....p_d%27%C3%A9tat[/url]

Shit like this and other great examples of us trying to "police the world" is what has their panties in a bunch. I can't say I blame them for hating us. If we had left them alone in the first place, the various terrorist attacks never would have happened. I'd say we're paying all the costs here...
[/quote]
You would have to go farther back to fully understand the full depth of the trouble with Iran. THe USA had pretty decent relationships with Iran in the later half of the 19th Century. Both GB and the USSR took turns occupying Iran/destroying Iran. The USA was viewed by the Gov't of Iran as being a trust-able ally... or at least more trust-able than GB or the USSR. I assume the "overthrow" you are talking about was operation AjAX. Strategically, in the light of the Cold War, I can understand the need for ousting Mosssadeqq, but on the other hand, the Eisenhower admin was fighting a British battle for BP's assets. Throughout history nations have tried to influence the nature of the government of other nations. We all do it, and it's not going to quit any time soon. Sticking your head in the sand like Neville Chamberlain isn't going to win any nation friends, but rather gain any such nation the disdain of both allies, and more enemies. Nations respect power, not pussies.

CIA's docs, and historians summary here http://web.payk.net/politics/cia-docs/published/one-main/main.html Decent read-some of the names may surprise you.

And in the end what how did you so eloquently put it, "had their panties in a bunch" was radicalization of some sects of Islam, and their resistance to western-anything. We are right back where we started... they attacked us. Stomp them into the dirt, and it won't happen again.