Here Is How I Pack Tangiers Lucid!

[quote name='Trini' timestamp='1311002495' post='516366']
[quote name='vendetta_revived' timestamp='1311000989' post='516359']
[quote name='kevin2323' timestamp='1310993895' post='516352']
acclimate it
[/quote]

Gee! Now why didn't that occur to me. :)

[quote name='Trini' timestamp='1311000109' post='516358']
So Vendetta i think i am having the same problem as you are we to are just coming into rainy season and temp and humidity are very wacky.i was just coming to make a post that this shipment of tangiers i got would not smoke right,, no flavour at all and i have acclamated (4/20) twice now so i have given up on it and just hitting the nakhla which itself taste a little wierd.

tangiers: the anti-tropical shisha [img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/justkidding.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Are you getting good smoke? What is baffling me is that all threads I have read on acclimation don't describe the situation where the smoke is neither harsh, nor wispy but the flavour itself is missing! This further tempts me to just hold off opening my noir till the weather becomes better (better for tangiers, I personally look forward to rainy season the entire year. :D).
[/quote]

i get greatttt smoke epic clouds but no flavour

[/quote]

My problem is exactly the same....now come to think of it! I did see a thread somewhere about it. Imma gonna go and look! :)

Bigger clouds and little flavor usually mean too much heat....and from what I saw and what you posted, I think this is accurate.

There is technically nothing wrong with your packing method, but I do not think that amount of tobacco will accomodate 3 halves of coals. Personally, I would have added a bit more tobacco and packed it a lot denser than you did. The increase in density and tobacco may be enough to tolerate the excessive heat.

However, I'm not familiar with that particular bowl, but I am familiar with glass bowls in general. If you're getting some flavor in the very beginning and then it dies out in 5-20 minutes, then you are using too much heat. Glass takes a bit longer to heat up, so when you initially take a pull you may get some flavor (although, I think it's too much to start with initially) but, after the bowl comes to full temp...you're overheating the tobacco.

[quote name='Arcane' timestamp='1311022580' post='516412']
Bigger clouds and little flavor usually mean too much heat....and from what I saw and what you posted, I think this is accurate.

There is technically nothing wrong with your packing method, but I do not think that amount of tobacco will accomodate 3 halves of coals. Personally, I would have added a bit more tobacco and packed it a lot denser than you did. The increase in density and tobacco may be enough to tolerate the excessive heat.

However, I'm not familiar with that particular bowl, but I am familiar with glass bowls in general. If you're getting some flavor in the very beginning and then it dies out in 5-20 minutes, then you are using too much heat. Glass takes a bit longer to heat up, so when you initially take a pull you may get some flavor (although, I think it's too much to start with initially) but, after the bowl comes to full temp...you're overheating the tobacco.
[/quote]

Thanks!

My patience got the better of me and I opened my noir Kashmir guava, and it surprisingly smells a lot better than my lucid flavours. It has also been pointed out to me that it's better to acclimate the tobacco at the time I usually smoke, so I will give that a shot. I am getting Al fakher coconut coals tomorrow (though I had first bought a box and it was messed up because the coals just used to go out on the bowl in 10 mins of smoking, but trying it again), and will use 2 halves on the bowl.

So I will :-

1.) Pack it denser, and use a bit more tobacco.
2.) Use 2 halves of coconut coals on the bowl.
3.) Acclimate it at the time I smoke.

I would like to point out though, that my problem is not that the flavour disappears or fades away in 10 mins or so, but that I am getting very little flavour from the beginning itself.

I've read through this thread, watched your video and I have to say, i'm almost 100% that it actually is an issue with acclimatization and the humidity there. I found the Static Starlight I had had a strong soy sauce smell and the standard acclimatization methods were not really cutting it. Try spreading it all out on a pan very thinly/sparsely so that all of the tang is getting good contact with the air. Give it 4 hours and seal it back up for 10 hours or so. See if that makes any difference vs. your standard acclimatization method. If it does, and it's still not there yet, do it again. You shouldn't be smelling soy sauce. For me, it took about 14 hours of it being laid out and mixed every 30 min or so for it to lose the soy taste and really start smoking great. Good luck!

[quote name='aeon' timestamp='1311023740' post='516418']
I've read through this thread, watched your video and I have to say, i'm almost 100% that it actually is an issue with acclimatization and the humidity there. I found the Static Starlight I had had a strong soy sauce smell and the standard acclimatization methods were not really cutting it. Try spreading it all out on a pan very thinly/sparsely so that all of the tang is getting good contact with the air. Give it 4 hours and seal it back up for 10 hours or so. See if that makes any difference vs. your standard acclimatization method. If it does, and it's still not there yet, do it again. You shouldn't be smelling soy sauce. For me, it took about 14 hours of it being laid out and mixed every 30 min or so for it to lose the soy taste and really start smoking great. Good luck!
[/quote]

Hmm..Interesting! I saw a thread here by a guy that suggested to acclimate tang on a huge sheet of foil. It's 3 am here, but I have acute insomnia and feeling wide awake, so I am gonna do it now! Imma gonna rip off a huge sheet of foil and then spread the tang real fine on it. Here goes!