Here Is How I Pack Tangiers Lucid!

I don't see anything wrong with your packing method. The only thing I would say is try to poke bigger holes. Because I know that Tangiers requires a lot of airflow. But other than that. I don't know man.

[quote name='MichaelLCP' timestamp='1310935192' post='516249']
I don't see anything wrong with your packing method. The only thing I would say is try to poke bigger holes. Because I know that Tangiers requires a lot of airflow. But other than that. I don't know man.
[/quote]

Ah thanks man! As I mentioned, the baccy still smells a lot like soy sauce to me. I am thinking it's just not acclimating right due to high humidity at this time. But I will try again tomorrow with bigger holes. :) Will use a toothpick this time.

For others (since I forgot to add it in the OP) - This video is in relation to my previous thread, where I mentioned that I can't get Tangiers Static Starlight to smoke well, erm...actually it smokes well enough and I am getting big clouds, just not any amazing flavour, and Chris suggested that I record a video of my packing method and post it, so here it is!

Any help would be appreciated. :)

The ever recommended 4/20 method. Kept it open for 4 hours, stirring every half an hour or so and then closed the lid and let it sit for 20 hours...have been doing it for 2 days with no results, so I've sealed it up for another 2-3 days and gonna see how it goes.

[quote name='vendetta_revived' timestamp='1310935834' post='516253']
The ever recommended 4/20 method. Kept it open for 4 hours, stirring every half an hour or so and then closed the lid and let it sit for 20 hours...have been doing it for 2 days with no results, so I've sealed it up for another 2-3 days and gonna see how it goes.
[/quote]

wow and it still isn't good? That's really weird.

[quote name='vendetta_revived' timestamp='1310953000' post='516285']
I am using 3 halves of brick coals on a crown micro phunnel, and I tried rotating the coals every 20 mins for the first session, but then didn't bother since I was getting like no flavour. :( I can start with 2 halves and see how that goes?
[/quote]

Do you mean coconut coals? Do you focus on heating the bowl by placing the coals right on the edge until it gets smoking? I have found 3 halves of cocos can heat up the bowl nicely, but may sometimes have to back them off a bit or remove one once the bowl gets to temperature.

Well in India we don't have any coconut coals and importing from US is expensive. I am using smoker's coal...they are naturals and last me 45-50 minutes, and even though I have not used coconaras, I believe the coals I am using don't burn as hot compared to them.

But the problem is, how can I make it work when the tobacco is not smelling right? :( Isn't Indian summer supposed to smell like some dark floral? and SS like grape, lemon and rose?

I haven't watched the video yet, but will when I get to work. Your last resort option if it just isn't giving you flavor is to freeze it for a day or two. Yes- freeze it. This "resets" it and should make it easier to acclimate to your humidity. Since you've tried everything else, it's time for this. I only did it with Lucid once, and that was with the Static I never could get flavor from that I mentioned in the other thread. Hopefully yours resets properly and you are able to taste the epic grape, lemon, and rose goodness that is Static Starlight.

Tapatalk'd via iPhone

[quote name='INCUBUSRATM' timestamp='1310955733' post='516291']
I haven't watched the video yet, but will when I get to work. Your last resort option if it just isn't giving you flavor is to freeze it for a day or two. Yes- freeze it. This "resets" it and should make it easier to acclimate to your humidity. Since you've tried everything else, it's time for this. I only did it with Lucid once, and that was with the Static I never could get flavor from that I mentioned in the other thread. Hopefully yours resets properly and you are able to taste the epic grape, lemon, and rose goodness that is Static Starlight.

Tapatalk'd via iPhone
[/quote]

Yes please do watch it and tell me if it's my packing! And thanks for the tip man, I will freeze a small sample of it first and see how that turns out. :) *fingers crossed*

ok so video looked good to me 2 things i would try next time

1.larger holes..also put a small hole (maybe with the tong poker you used in the vid) poke one or two in the center not to much.
2. Try taking a very small fork (oyester fork or something) and tuck in the sides of the tobacco all the around the bowl. if that makes sense

[quote name='vendetta_revived' timestamp='1310955443' post='516290']
Well in India we don't have any coconut coals and importing from US is expensive. I am using smoker's coal...they are naturals and last me 45-50 minutes, and even though I have not used coconaras, I believe the coals I am using don't burn as hot compared to them.

But the problem is, how can I make it work when the tobacco is not smelling right? :( Isn't Indian summer supposed to smell like some dark floral? and SS like grape, lemon and rose?
[/quote]
I haven't smelled Indian Summer Lucid, but smelling my Indian Summer (mixed fruit #5) NOIR -- it smells along the lines of rose lemon and cherry with a hint of spice ('dark floral' as you said would be a good description.) It has 'tartness' to it.
I just smelled a bottle of soysauce and I can say that the tartness along with the 'dark' in the Indian Summer reminds me a bit of the soysauce.

[quote name='king_lunchb0x' timestamp='1310956971' post='516303']
ok so video looked good to me 2 things i would try next time

1.larger holes..also put a small hole (maybe with the tong poker you used in the vid) poke one or two in the center not to much.
2. Try taking a very small fork (oyester fork or something) and tuck in the sides of the tobacco all the around the bowl. if that makes sense
[/quote]

Yes that makes sense, and thanks for the advice, but if you don't mind explaining, what would holes over the spire do? I don't normally do it since I believe it affects the density of the smoke negatively, but I will give it a shot. :)

[quote name='Plex' timestamp='1310958181' post='516305']
[quote name='vendetta_revived' timestamp='1310955443' post='516290']

[/quote]
I haven't smelled Indian Summer Lucid, but smelling my Indian Summer (mixed fruit #5) NOIR -- it smells along the lines of rose lemon and cherry with a hint of spice ('dark floral' as you said would be a good description.) It has 'tartness' to it.
I just smelled a bottle of soysauce and I can say that the tartness along with the 'dark' in the Indian Summer reminds me a bit of the soysauce.
[/quote]

Hmmm...Now that's interesting. What would you say about Static starlight? Does that somehow resemble soy sauce in anyway? Man! I bet the Kashmir guava would smell nothing like soy sauce! I was really avoiding opening it since the weather is highly humid right now, but this makes me want to open it and see how that turns out. Would you recommend opening the noir in highly humid conditions?

honestly packing is good, and wholes shouldn't be a big deal if they are tiny, I used something smaller then that to poke holes but i would poke as many holes as possible. I say try experimenting with it, if the usual way doesnt work make your own way.

[quote name='vendetta_revived' timestamp='1310959710' post='516311']
Hmmm...Now that's interesting. What would you say about Static starlight? Does that somehow resemble soy sauce in anyway? Man! I bet the Kashmir guava would smell nothing like soy sauce! I was really avoiding opening it since the weather is highly humid right now, but this makes me want to open it and see how that turns out. Would you recommend opening the noir in highly humid conditions?
[/quote]

I haven't had Static Starlight yet, so I haven't smelled it.

Opening tangiers in humid conditions should not be an issue. I open/acclimate my tobacco in 29C, 70% humidity (or >90% on a rainy day) quite often. The main thing is that the tobacco should be smoked when the humidity of the air is equal to (or less than) that in which it was acclimated... When I used to get little flavour and harsh wispy smoke (or harsh thick flavourless clouds when I increased the heat), I thought it was acclimation or packing technique... and after many bad sessions I found out I was focusing too much on heating the tobacco from the top rather than focusing on heating the bowl and 'simmering it.' I was cooking/charring the tobacco on the top and effectively 'sealing' the bowl..

Smelling my Kashmir Guava noir out of the bag... no resemblance of soysauce whatsoever.... smells amazing... time to get some acclimating ;)

Okay, I watched it. I honestly don't see that you did anything wrong. It should smoke fine with good flavor if you pack it like that, especially since it's Lucid. This is really weird. Does the humidity in India just change a lot? That could be the reason why it's not giving you flavor- there isn't enough of a stable humidity. I don't know man, that's all I got right now. I'll think about what else it could be. In the mean time, try the freezing method.

So Vendetta i think i am having the same problem as you are we to are just coming into rainy season and temp and humidity are very wacky.i was just coming to make a post that this shipment of tangiers i got would not smoke right,, no flavour at all and i have acclamated (4/20) twice now so i have given up on it and just hitting the nakhla which itself taste a little wierd.

tangiers: the anti-tropical shisha [img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/justkidding.gif[/img]

[quote name='kevin2323' timestamp='1310993895' post='516352']
acclimate it
[/quote]

Gee! Now why didn't that occur to me. :)

[quote name='Trini' timestamp='1311000109' post='516358']
So Vendetta i think i am having the same problem as you are we to are just coming into rainy season and temp and humidity are very wacky.i was just coming to make a post that this shipment of tangiers i got would not smoke right,, no flavour at all and i have acclamated (4/20) twice now so i have given up on it and just hitting the nakhla which itself taste a little wierd.

tangiers: the anti-tropical shisha [img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/justkidding.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Are you getting good smoke? What is baffling me is that all threads I have read on acclimation don't describe the situation where the smoke is neither harsh, nor wispy but the flavour itself is missing! This further tempts me to just hold off opening my noir till the weather becomes better (better for tangiers, I personally look forward to rainy season the entire year. :D).

[quote name='vendetta_revived' timestamp='1311000989' post='516359']
[quote name='kevin2323' timestamp='1310993895' post='516352']
acclimate it
[/quote]

Gee! Now why didn't that occur to me. :)

[quote name='Trini' timestamp='1311000109' post='516358']

[/quote]

Are you getting good smoke? What is baffling me is that all threads I have read on acclimation don't describe the situation where the smoke is neither harsh, nor wispy but the flavour itself is missing! This further tempts me to just hold off opening my noir till the weather becomes better (better for tangiers, I personally look forward to rainy season the entire year. :D).
[/quote]

i get greatttt smoke epic clouds but no flavour