I am making charcoals!!!

Scalliwag

[quote name='Tangiers']Dihtdrogen sulfide is rotten egg smell. Very poisonous. Elemental sulfur is different, more oxidized than that. Sulfur is generally poisonous and also takes oxygen from the carbon oxidation which produces more carbon monoxide.[/quote] Don't forget what happens when you combine sulfur, oxygen, and water!Johnny was a scientist's son but Johnny is no moreWhat Johnny thought was h2o was h2so4.Although; with such a large amount of water and small amount of sulfur; the overal acidity of the water would probably not change in a noticeable manner.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Cartman']Don't forget what happens when you combine sulfur, oxygen, and water!  Johnny was a scientist's son but Johnny is no moreWhat Johnny thought was h2o was h2so4.  Although; with such a large amount of water and small amount of sulfur; the overal acidity of the water would probably not change in a noticeable manner.[/quote] Well, it hasn't effected me none effected me none effected me none yet Trying to find out what is relative to smoking anything in general seems to be the tough part. What are dangerous levels in comparison to other things we are already smoking. Nicotine, etc. plus carbon monoxide from even non-tobacco sisha. Just because I can't smell sulfur does not mean it's not there, but does that mean it is such a low level that it rates down there with all the other things we are already smoking? Are there other things in other charcoals more dangerous? It is a pretty safe bet that there are some coals more or less dangerous than others and some because of chemicals other than sulfur would be my guess. What do they use to make the quicklights stay in one solid compressed piece? I read that charcoal briquets use starch because it's odorless and tasteless (to an extent I guess) but since they are talking about grilling coals that you are not supposed to be using indoors it is hard to get any data as to what all toxins smoking starch might emit. Sources for raw data specific to inhaling charcoal has been very evasive at best.On another note all the boxes are packed up and ready to send. Halon, yours is going to 40 Thieves and you can get with him (Chris) on picking it up at the lounge or wherever you guys decide. Hope you guys like it or at least nobody gets black lung disease

[quote name='Scalliwag'] Halon, yours is going to 40 Thieves and you can get with him (Chris) on picking it up at the lounge or wherever you guys decide.  Hope you guys like it or at least nobody gets black lung disease  [/quote] Are there two separate bags? Last time I was there I talked to him about it and he didn't know any was gonna be for me. Not like it's a huge deal, I mean I'm sure I'll try them out at the lounge when they get there, but I was just curious.Thanks again! I'm stoked to try them out.TYLER

[quote name='Scalliwag'] [quote name='Cartman']Don't forget what happens when you combine sulfur, oxygen, and water!  Johnny was a scientist's son but Johnny is no moreWhat Johnny thought was h2o was h2so4.  Although; with such a large amount of water and small amount of sulfur; the overal acidity of the water would probably not change in a noticeable manner.[/quote] Well, it hasn't effected me none effected me none effected me none yet Trying to find out what is relative to smoking anything in general seems to be the tough part. What are dangerous levels in comparison to other things we are already smoking. Nicotine, etc. plus carbon monoxide from even non-tobacco sisha. Just because I can't smell sulfur does not mean it's not there, but does that mean it is such a low level that it rates down there with all the other things we are already smoking? Are there other things in other charcoals more dangerous? It is a pretty safe bet that there are some coals more or less dangerous than others and some because of chemicals other than sulfur would be my guess. What do they use to make the quicklights stay in one solid compressed piece? I read that charcoal briquets use starch because it's odorless and tasteless (to an extent I guess) but since they are talking about grilling coals that you are not supposed to be using indoors it is hard to get any data as to what all toxins smoking starch might emit. Sources for raw data specific to inhaling charcoal has been very evasive at best.On another note all the boxes are packed up and ready to send. Halon, yours is going to 40 Thieves and you can get with him (Chris) on picking it up at the lounge or wherever you guys decide. Hope you guys like it or at least nobody gets black lung disease [/quote] Honestly, with how much sulfur is probably burned off in creating the coal it would probably take years to build up harmfull levels of the stuff in your system; if there was much to begin with.If this turns out well enough to keep making it, you may want to have a sample analyzed for sulfur content just in case.

[quote name='Halon'] [quote name='Scalliwag']  Halon, yours is going to 40 Thieves and you can get with him (Chris) on picking it up at the lounge or wherever you guys decide.  Hope you guys like it or at least nobody gets black lung disease  [/quote] Are there two separate bags? Last time I was there I talked to him about it and he didn't know any was gonna be for me. Not like it's a huge deal, I mean I'm sure I'll try them out at the lounge when they get there, but I was just curious.Thanks again! I'm stoked to try them out.TYLER[/quote] Yep. Two serarate ziplock bags. I PM'ed him last night after remembering I had not told him the game plan on sending yours along with his tosave a little on shipping. Since you are a patron of his I am pretty sure he won't mind.

briquettes are made differently, some are held together with a mixture of just heat and pressure i think.lol you're smoking hookah, and if you've ever smoked any herbal shisha then you don't have a clue what you're smoking so why care when it comes to coals??scalliwag, you might want to write some form of disclaimer, just to cover your back. in case someone mutates or dies or melts or something as a result of your coals.

[quote name='Calcartman'] Honestly, with how much sulfur is probably burned off in creating the coal it would probably take years to build up harmfull levels of the stuff in your system; if there was much to begin with.If this turns out well enough to keep making it, you may want to have a sample analyzed for sulfur content just in case.[/quote]I have read several ways charcoal is made. Some are like a pit barbeque where you dig a hole, catch wood on fire and throw dirt on it once it gets going. Others are different types of kilns that has exhaust systems for the gases to escape. There are different stages with distinct colors and smells. The first thing to burn off is water even though the wood seems as dry to begin with as it could get. The next lasts the longest and it is a thick nasty yellowish gray that is pretty flamable. It became apparent to me real quick why my buddy's Dad had redirected the exhaust back to the firebox. But the first time I ran it I had blown that part of his design off for the time being. But when I caught the gas on fire and it burned it only made since to burn the stuff off instead of letting it out into the air. You did not want to be downwind of the fumes. They were nasty as hell. The point is that there is definately some real crap that gets burned up that smells really toxic and goes for a couple of hours. Any method that does not fully allow for a complete depletion of those gases would worry me. There is no telling how natural wood charcoal is made and odds are good that it is not made the same at all facilities. Since it is not made with the intent for people to be smoking it one can only assume that is not considered in the process. I really wish other manufacturers at least in the hookah coal industry had published data on their chemical analysis. Have they ever even had them done? It would be great to have a base line to compare. If I get mine analyzed I would need to get others analyzed as well. It would be good to know where mine is in the big scheme of things. Tangiers, do you remember how much it cost to have those coals analyzed?

[quote name='MrGuy'] scalliwag, you might want to write some form of disclaimer, just to cover your back. in case someone mutates or dies or melts or something as a result of your coals.[/quote] Haha! You are pretty much right. For test purposes though I will kind of let the PM's and thread be the disclaimer for now. But to clarify....Be ye forewarned that all smoking is harmful, some worse than others.... where this coal lies in the big scheme of things is not known. Test at your own risk. I tested the first at least 10 bowls by myself with no adverse effects before having others try them. True longterm testing has not been done and all is speculative at this point.

[quote name='Tangiers']Scalliwag...$500, for four tests on two different samples.[/quote] What all data do they give you? Do they burn them and get readings for different chemicals in the smoke/gas?

Yeah, they collect all of the cations and some of the more interesting anions...most of its inference since 80-90% of the effluent would be carbon, nitrogen, oxygen and hydrogen. When you send me your charcoal, if you want, I can get testing done for ya, if you want.

Let's be sure it passes the taste and use test and go from there. I still need to find some sort of comparison to find out if they are any worse than quicklights or other naturals? I read that the BTU's is pretty high on mesquite charcoal so I wonder since they make more heat if you consume less volume in toxins? The more I think the more questions come to mind. Right now I am too ignorant for the numbers to mean anything unless something toxic is so high it is obvious ya know? I also wonder if since I cut these down before I put them in the kiln if that helps since it may be easier for the toxins to escape (less mass)

[quote name='skimo']so did the samples go out yet? i need to hit up the smoke shop for some more shisha[/quote] my wife was taking them to the PO today. I need to check and make sure that went to plan.