I am making charcoals!!!

Scalliwag

[quote name='Scalliwag']see? A Texan makes a feeble attempt at "proper" english and you guys make fun?!?!?!?! I need a yankee o write me up something proper :)[/quote] I'm a Texan at heart from living there for so long:P Debating whether or not to move back over there... Maybe after I get my Radiological Tech license...

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything shipped guys. Let me know as it starts rolling in. We should probably start a new thread for the testing once you guys get started since this one has grown to 4 pages? For people coming on board later to go through all these posts could be a pain.I am figuring that The one on testing alone by the time everybody is covering how they light them and maybe tips for using them.

If the reviews are favorable I will be selling them cheap. I will make samples as well for like $7 shipped (to cover the shipping and some of the headache for a short time so others can find out whether they personally like them. Shipping was $4 to $5 on each of the test samples sent so that's pretty cheap. If we get that far then I will make packages of different sizes for different users, lounge owners needs. Of course bulk pricing will be the best buy, but I will make a good deal on all sizes or not do it at all.I only want to do this if there is a real good demand for what I am able to make. Hopefully the way these are cut and all is more convenient and deliver a high quality smoke that the bang for the buck makes everybody happy.Now what I shipped is all sorts of sizes and dimensions. Some are going to work better than others. Some may like all and some may not like any of them. Finding the best sizes and shapes or if different sizes and shapes work better with different shisha and bowls will be interesting.I hear the Tangiers shisha and bowl are different and what works best for that will probably be different than others. My favorite for what I smoke is one about 1.75" round and .5" thick. I heat it really hot in a small covered pan and torch one side with a my butane lighter. Since the coal is preheated it catches fire quick. If I can get Ms. Scalli to take pics I really need both hands to safely do this, but it works really well for me. One side and the edges burn and it burns nice.But people here with more experience probably have a lot of other even better methods that I hope they share. When the stuff gets in we will make a new thread. Let's make a list on the base parameters of how we should do the reviews. First I think the tester should describe their hookah and type and size of bowl. The brand and flavor and possibly age of shisha they tested. What the weather was like. So let's work on the parametersof that and then how to rate the coals. How hard or ease of lighting? How hard to prepare the coal if any cutting, etc. required. Any smell or taste. How long the coal lasted. How much ashing or moving the coal around. How long did it take to get a bowl smoking good. How long did it smoke good. Where would you rate it in comparison with other coals. Start with a certain size coal one sitting and rate it. Take another on another occasion and keep track of the approximate shapes and sizes and any cutting, etc. Testing may take some time but it should be a lot of fun. I am probably partial but I think I am realistic when I say I am happy with them. Now it's time for you guys to put in your 50 cents. Enjoy.

well i have some time on my hands right now so writting a nice review shouldn't be hard at all, i just need to find a local place that sells 250 grams instead of just 50 gram boxes

I could not get my "assistant" to help take pics. My camera take great pics but really poor video. But I wanted you guys to see in advance one of the big discs in action. I got the coal real good and toasty and pulled it off. Took a few pics and a couple of vids in the dark showing the glow. Here are the links to the vids:[url="http://www.scalliwag.com/coal/mescoal01.MPG"]http://www.scalliwag.com/coal/mescoal01.MPG[url="http://www.scalliwag.com/coal/mescoal02.MPG"]http://www.scalliwag.com/coal/mescoal02.MPG[/url][/url][img]http://www.scalliwag.com/coal/coal17.JPG[/img][img]http://www.scalliwag.com/coal/coal18.JPG[/img][img]http://www.scalliwag.com/coal/coal19.JPG[/img][img]http://www.scalliwag.com/coal/coal20.JPG[/img]

OH watch out! Im not 100% sure but, baby wipes may be flammable Nice video. Im convinced that these may be very good quality charcoals from the way they dont struggle to stay lit and from what you say, dont leave nasty tastes and all

[quote name='Alqoshnia']OH watch out! Im not 100% sure but, baby wipes may be flammable  Nice video. Im convinced that these may be very good quality charcoals from the way they dont struggle to stay lit and from what you say, dont leave nasty tastes and all[/quote] I can't handle my fingers all sticky from the shisha so I have the wipes just for that. Again it was WAY too much coal for one person for one sitting. But I just put it in my coffee can and put the lid on and I can fire it up and use it again. It seems to work well and I don't waste any coal. The coal flakes and ash can be used in flower beds though

But then you get it on the hose, tongs, and whatever you touch. I have a ritual; I clean the hookah, pour apple cider in the vase, put in the stem and hose. Get a baby-wipe ready (I call them butt-wipes from when my kids were little) Open the shisha and get a pinch I have mastered to nearly an exact science and put it in the bowl. Immediately wipe the residual crapola off and discard said butt-wipe. Close the shisha, put on the foil, poke the holes and put on the coal. Then I smoke that bad boy! Even though in the vid I am getting some pretty big hits it is really smooth. You can damn near chew the smoke it's so thick though.

lmao if thats the case you are my new hero. does it matter if you have big holes or little holes though? i usually poke a pattern of little holes all the way around the bowl and it works decent, but i wanna try usin a fork like tangiers said

I used a toothpick and put holes about 3/8" apart all over. Since I did was not able to smoke it all the way down I can't say what the whole scenerio with that coal would have been. It did not take a real long time to get a really big buzz going and had to tap out. It was putting out some serious smoke and the smoothness was deceptive as hell. Too much too quick for me. Later in the week I will get company over to help.

don't try one of those "elevators" if you have one of these big coals really going.... you'll wind up at the bottom of the shaft! I should have either took it off the burner earlier or let it cool down a bit. The double apple/ rose mix I use is pretty mild compared to a lot of the stuff out there from what I hear. If that would have been some really strong shisha I would have popped a lung probably.

lol i have had a collapsed lung twice so it aint a big deal to go back in lol, except it's getting expensive to go to the hospital for months at a time haha. does the coal make the flavor and stronger or weaker?

I can't really tell as far as flavor goes. It doesn't smell and when you have it on the tongs and you blow on it and get it hot it doesn't really put off much visible smoke. It's just hot ya know? Weird.

[quote name='MrGuy']it's hot? seriously? omg, i want some of these new fandangle HOT coals!!![/quote] Did you watch either of the videos? Look at the picture of it next to the quarter and watch the video. That was pretty dang hot.

i got home after a long day of helpin my cousin and my coals came in. i was like a little kid at christmas, couldnt sleep for shit all i wanted to do was pack a bowl and test these bad boys out. well i woke up early and im lettin the bowl sit out for a little bit then im gonna get to my review, is there a certain way we're suppose to review these though?

I grabbed this from an earlier post I made. It was a rather long post and a lot of people probably did not notice this part. Try to cover as much of it as you can and anything with want to add that you think is relevant. Also if you don't get these real hot as you get them lit and just blow on them they will pop. So watch that. I have heard that happens with some other natural coals though. "First I think the tester should describe their hookah and type and size of bowl. The brand and flavor and possibly age of shisha they tested. What the weather was like. So let's work on the parametersof that and then how to rate the coals. How hard or ease of lighting? How hard to prepare the coal if any cutting, etc. required. Any smell or taste. How long the coal lasted. How much ashing or moving the coal around. How long did it take to get a bowl smoking good. How long did it smoke good. Where would you rate it in comparison with other coals. Start with a certain size coal one sitting and rate it. Take another on another occasion and keep track of the approximate shapes and sizes and any cutting, etc. Testing may take some time but it should be a lot of fun. I am probably partial but I think I am realistic when I say I am happy with them. Now it's time for you guys to put in your 50 cents. Enjoy."