I am making charcoals!!!

Scalliwag

I'd lay out the basics - what tobacco, how much coal you needed to get a good smoke, any influence on flavor, how long they last, how you lit them - a big question I have is regarding headaches. When I smoke with quicklights, I often get a bad headache after an hour or so. I'm assuming that it's from the carbon monoxide coming off the coals. Do these have that effect?Edit:Whoop! Sorry Scallywag, looks like I made myself redundant. Didn't mean to rehash your post.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='The Pope']I often  get a bad headache after an hour or so. I'm assuming that it's from the carbon monoxide coming off the coals. Do these have that effect?[/quote] That hasn't happened with me or any of the peeps that smoked with me last week.

Hookah type and size of bowl- Widow Hookah w/ large clay bowlBrand, flavor and age of shisha- Romman cherry, just bought it yesterdayEase of lighting- I set it on the stove for about 5 minutes. It seemed to be nice and red but I could have left it on longer for it to have fully burned, my guess would be around 8 minutes to get the whole coal nice and redWeather- Kind of dry and warm, I do live in Texas lolSmell or taste- The only smell was from the lighting; once I got it on the hookah I couldn’t smell anything. There wasn’t a taste to it either; I just got this wood taste from time to time but not to noticeableHow long coal lasted- around 30 minutes, I picked a small coal thinking it would put off a lot of heat but I could have used anotherHow much ashing or moving the coal around- Little moving around. I guess I didn’t get it fully lit so I blew on it from time to time to get it hotterHow long it took to smoke good- Once I put the coal on it was nice, pretty thick smoke until the coal started going outComparison with other coals- If I would have used a bigger coal it would have been a lot better but compared to my quick lights its defiantly up there with it The coals seemed to be rather nice, being my first time using them I think it was mostly my mistakes that made them not work to their potential, Ill try another bowl in a couple of days with a bigger coal and fix what I had problems with next time. I think you could put these on the market though, they would do pretty well.

[quote name='skimo']Hookah type and size of bowl- Widow Hookah w/ large clay bowl  Brand, flavor and age of shisha- Romman cherry, just bought it yesterday  Ease of lighting- I set it on the stove for about 5 minutes. It seemed to be nice and red but I could have left it on longer for it to have fully burned, my guess would be around 8 minutes to get the whole coal nice and red  Weather- Kind of dry and warm, I do live in Texas lol  Smell or taste- The only smell was from the lighting; once I got it on the hookah I couldn’t smell anything. There wasn’t a taste to it either; I just got this wood taste from time to time but not to noticeable  How long coal lasted- around 30 minutes, I picked a small coal thinking it would put off a lot of heat but I could have used another  How much ashing or moving the coal around- Little moving around. I guess I didn’t get it fully lit so I blew on it from time to time to get it hotter  How long it took to smoke good- Once I put the coal on it was nice, pretty thick smoke until the coal started going out  Comparison with other coals- If I would have used a bigger coal it would have been a lot better but compared to my quick lights its defiantly up there with it  The coals seemed to be rather nice, being my first time using them I think it was mostly my mistakes that made them not work to their potential, Ill try another bowl in a couple of days with a bigger coal and fix what I had problems with next time. I think you could put these on the market though, they would do pretty well.[/quote] Cool, you could also fire up two about the same size and see how that works. Thanks for the review. It was much quicker than I expected!!!

lol no problem, ive been wanting to smoke these bitchs since the first thread, which is why i think the smoke wasnt as good as it could have been, i rushed and didnt fully light the coals and what not

lol like i said, i was like a kid at christmas. i woke up at 7 packed a bowl, set out side, waited for my mom to leave then fired up the coal haha, o yeah im uploadin pics of the coal and my hookah

[img]http://i1.tinypic.com/23iyn3k.jpg[/img]my hookah is about 11 inchs tall, the coal isnt to big, looking back i should have used a bigger one or added a small one with it

My quicklites are not much bigger than a quarter. Oh, and how did you do the holes? Did you use foil? I only used holes towards the outer edge with the really big coal. On the smaller I did not go very far outside the edge of the original size of the coal. I need to try a screen come to think of it. It sucked when I tried one with a quicklight so I gave up on it.

i folded my foil so it was 2 layers which ive never done, could have effects the heat more than i thought to. the width is hard to explain lol i cant find anything to compare it to, maybe a little less than a powerade bottle cap?

well im back, i think im a phene or somthing but anyways i smoked yet another bowl and this time it was bad ass. so heres the reviewHookah type and size of bowl- Widow Hookah w/ large clay bowlBrand, flavor and age of shisha- Romman cherry mixed with bannana, just bought it yesterdayEase of lighting- This time I held it over the flame for about 5 minutes, they got pretty red on one side so my guess is they were as hot as they were going to getWeather- Kind of dry and warm, I do live in Texas lolSmell or taste- This time I could kind of taste the coals in the back of my throat, I used 2 coals this time so it could have been there was to much heat and it was just a bit harsh, not to noticable but it was still there none the lessHow long coal lasted- around 30 minutes, I didnt fully smoke thought because the smoke was pretty thick and after my 2nd bowl and that much smoke it built up a buzz fastHow much ashing or moving the coal around- Touched the coals maybe twice just to burn different parts of the bowl, it ashed itself, litterally the ash from the coal fell onto my tray without me touching itHow long it took to smoke good- Once I put the coal on it was nice, pretty thick smoke Comparison with other coals- This time I wouldnt use any other coals lol, I was impressed with the smoke density so much I would never buy quicklites again, these put off the most heat from anyother coal Ive seenOverall- Pretty nice I was deff. impressed with them, only downfall was the taste. Maybe it was just to hot I dont know, anybody else have this problem?

[quote name='Alqoshnia']Well I just got my package in just now. Ill be tryin them later on tonight. I think we should pop up a seperate thread for reviews. If you dont mind ill copy and paste your two reviews in the thread[/quote] DOH, I did it not knowing Skimo wrote another review!

[quote name='skimo']well im back, i think im a phene or somthing but anyways i smoked yet another bowl and this time it was bad ass. so heres the review  Hookah type and size of bowl- Widow Hookah w/ large clay bowl  Brand, flavor and age of shisha- Romman cherry mixed with bannana, just bought it yesterday  Ease of lighting- This time I held it over the flame for about 5 minutes, they got pretty red on one side so my guess is they were as hot as they were going to get  Weather- Kind of dry and warm, I do live in Texas lol  Smell or taste- This time I could kind of taste the coals in the back of my throat, I used 2 coals this time so it could have been there was to much heat and it was just a bit harsh, not to noticable but it was still there none the less  How long coal lasted- around 30 minutes, I didnt fully smoke thought because the smoke was pretty thick and after my 2nd bowl and that much smoke it built up a buzz fast  How much ashing or moving the coal around- Touched the coals maybe twice just to burn different parts of the bowl, it ashed itself, litterally the ash from the coal fell onto my tray without me touching it  How long it took to smoke good- Once I put the coal on it was nice, pretty thick smoke  Comparison with other coals- This time I wouldnt use any other coals lol, I was impressed with the smoke density so much I would never buy quicklites again, these put off the most heat from anyother coal Ive seen  Overall- Pretty nice I was deff. impressed with them, only downfall was the taste. Maybe it was just to hot I dont know, anybody else have this problem?[/quote] Was there any shisha stuck on the bottom of the foil or have you checked? I am wondering if you were tasting coal or burning shisha.

MY COALS ARE HERE!!!!!!!!! :D Was waiting all morning hoping that they'd come... but then I had to go take my girlfriend's car to get the tires balanced and rotated... and when I got back, there was a happy brown box :D Never used anything but a quick light, so I bought one of those $4 pots from wal-mart to use to light the coal on the stove.. review later... if I find the ashtray for my hookah... :/

[quote name='DizzyGuy']MY COALS ARE HERE!!!!!!!!!  :D  Was waiting all morning hoping that they'd come... but then I had to go take my girlfriend's car to get the tires balanced and rotated... and when I got back, there was a happy brown box :D  Never used anything but a quick light, so I bought one of those $4 pots from wal-mart to use to light the coal on the stove.. review later... if I find the ashtray for my hookah... :/[/quote] That pot does not have a teflon or "non-stick" coating does it? It creates a poisonous gas. I saw something on the news about that a few years back. [url="http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=teflon"]http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=teflon[/url]from article: Teflon fumes are poisonous. If you heat an empty Teflon coated pan to 400°C, the Teflon particles become airborne and can cause polymer fume fever. However, it is totally safe in normal cooking conditions. Solid Teflon is harmless to humans.

yeah there was shisha stuck to the bottom of the foil but it was still brownish not to dark like most of my bowls are when they're done. i think it was to much heat to be honest not sure though. the coals i was using was 1 was 1.7 inchs wide and the other was 1.3 inchs wide

Whoa; maybe its just me but does anybody else us that much coal!? I usually use 1 coal smaller than a quarter, but >3.5 square inches of coal is like nearly the size of my bowl!That would roast the hell out of my shisha

lmao i know, i cant get it to smoke good without alot of heat, if i use a small coal i cant barley taste it and it draws thin smoke. look at my myspace, i have pics of the smoke, www.myspace.com/skimo281 and thats like half the smoke i was drawing