Waxing Philosophical.

I've noticed, recently, that smoking with people tends to bring up conversations that resonate on a personal level. Whether it be religion, politics, sports etc... people tend to be a little more open with such grounded opinions and, for the most part, are relatively calm and open to discussion. I personally have never been religious, nor a sports fan (enough to follow pro sports, I've been an avid soccer and basketball player since childhood.) but conversations of a philosophical manner are always a key interest of mine. Now I do realize its hard to have any type of serious discussion over a forum, so much information is lost in translation and the inflection is left crying somewhere in the corner, but I'd like to know some of the beliefs of my fellow hookah freaks. So heres my proposal, we sit back, light up a bowl of your favorite shisha (Nakhla Double Apple w/clove here) and wax philosophical. Socrates once said "The unexamined life is not worth living", well lets examine the life around us. Time to feed your head.

Well this is a very broad topic. But fortunately I did just finish reading Beyond Good and Evil, and I was really impressed by Nietzsche's ability to analyze societies as a whole and break down institutions such as the church and the scientific community into base instincts and drives. He really is genius, and I was so amazed at how many of his thoughts on how humanity and civilizations would evolve and where their weaknesses lie as a whole, were very accurate in my opinion for the world we live in today.

I'm not sure if i'm stealing this theory from someone since I didn't read about it anywhere...

What was first: the chicken or the egg?

I suppose this is a matter if you're religious or not ( doesn't matter which religion but I take christianity(catholicism) as the most widespread one).
By going literally:
If you're religious, then it was the chicken, since there is always some type of big genesis where everything is created.
If you go by evolution its the egg. Reptiles were laying eggs before any bird existed so....its the egg.

By going deeper in the rabbit hole:
I see this as the question of the creation of the universe.
We can assume that there was an "egg", it opened and became the universe...but where is the "chicken" that layed it?
We can assume that there is a "chicken" (a God, an unknown force), which layed an egg that became the universe...from which "egg" did he/it hatch?

So we have the "egg", [b]the primeval atom[/b] and we have the "chicken",[b] an unknown force[/b] which initiated the creation of the universe.

By trying to ignore the religious component we have this:
An atom of unlimited mass (if it weren't unlimited the universe would stop expanding and bending) existed. Why did it change its composure? There must have been some type of force behind it... We can rule out traditional forces like gravity, magnetism etc... Do we have to bring "God" back into the game? How about we change his name and call him "force" (not Star Wars related)? We got our mysterious initiator, even though we can't define him/it.

By bringing out this theory, I prove that "God" exists, but not in a traditional fashion.

(hope I don't insult anyone since I am not a religious person)

Hmmm.. I'll bite:

I worked as a janitor for 3 years, and with cleaning women restrooms I noticed a lot of ladies who worked in offices together had their periods around the same time. Its odd, and I spoke to a friend who said that it is totally possible for people close to each other to become "in sync" as it were.

Does that mean that my girlfriend and I take shits at roughly the same time during the day? Yep. It does. Fuck yeah.

• 4 weeks later...
KcK - that period-syncing thing is apparently a myth, its one of those things where people just kind of notice when it does happen but don't notice when it doesn't... chance gives pretty good odds: women have basically a 1/6-ish chance (assuming a period is 5 days long in a 30-day month) of being on their period at any given moment, so if you gather enough women up, a few of them are going to be on their periods at the same time. Couple months down the road, the same two women who had "synced" periods a few months ago might have them not overlap at all, even if they're still spending a lot of time together.

You and your girlfriend probably take a dump around the same time because you're eating at the same time.. or that's my guess anyway. Or maybe you're just a match ;)

And there's my philosophy! *curtsy*

[quote name='jorlyfish' timestamp='1301260669' post='503214']
KcK - that period-syncing thing is apparently a myth, its one of those things where people just kind of notice when it does happen but don't notice when it doesn't... chance gives pretty good odds: women have basically a 1/6-ish chance (assuming a period is 5 days long in a 30-day month) of being on their period at any given moment, so if you gather enough women up, a few of them are going to be on their periods at the same time. Couple months down the road, the same two women who had "synced" periods a few months ago might have them not overlap at all, even if they're still spending a lot of time together.

You and your girlfriend probably take a dump around the same time because you're eating at the same time.. or that's my guess anyway. Or maybe you're just a match ;)

And there's my philosophy! *curtsy*
[/quote]

The period sync is NOT a myth. Centuries before civilization separated us, women who lived together were always in sync. It's proximity that creates it. (probably though the same "shedding" of hormones that occurs in nature. Like rutting season for mammals.) In Native American villages women joined together to build the"moon house" each moth were they resided together for those five days and it's a documented fact of it occurring. Sisters in the same household frequently share the same schedule, adjusting to the stronger or more "alpha"'s schedule. Their menstrual schedules don't usually diverge until they begin living or spending a great deal of time apart, which further supports the theory that it's proximity connected. . Ask any prison guard at any women's prison and they'll tell you just how much of a "myth" it isn't.

'Rani

I have to agree, when i was on the ship women were in sync there too. The smell was horrible once a month. But talking to everyone, you have to spend a lot of time together to do it. I mean we are talking about 6 months of being packed on a ship together cruising around the Med and Arabian Gulf.

• 3 months later...
[quote name='Allstar' timestamp='1301301518' post='503263']
I have to agree, when i was on the ship women were in sync there too. The smell was horrible once a month. But talking to everyone, you have to spend a lot of time together to do it. I mean we are talking about 6 months of being packed on a ship together cruising around the Med and Arabian Gulf.
[/quote]

HA! Lovely thought. Yeah, it was the same in the Army, imagine about 20 female MP's all cursed at the same time. Hell hath no fury.......