Where The Hell Is Our "leadership"

TheScotsman

So, it would appear that Libya has descended into an honest actual shooting and dying Civil War. We have wiki leaks releasing what is purported to be proof that Qaddafi planned and financed the bombing of a Pan Am flight over Lockerbie... tthe little bit of video that has made it out of Libya seems to show that the country, and more its civilian population is being murdered by a corrupt, insane dictator. That same dictator making threats to destroy his entire country, and its population before he would leave office.

Just one question, where in the hell is the bumster now?

this doesn't seem like the sort of international incident where one has to debate a whole long time to figure out which side they should be on. but still our Secretary of State is nowhere to be found, the president is providing bloody little leadership, all the while mercenaries serving this crazy bugger are shooting people, burning their homes, and driving over them with T 62's in the streets.

[quote name='TheScotsman' timestamp='1298577607' post='499289']
So, it would appear that Libya has descended into an honest actual shooting and dying Civil War. We have wiki leaks releasing what is purported to be proof that Qaddafi planned and financed the bombing of a Pan Am flight over Lockerbie... tthe little bit of video that has made it out of Libya seems to show that the country, and more its civilian population is being murdered by a corrupt, insane dictator. That same dictator making threats to destroy his entire country, and its population before he would leave office.

this doesn't seem like the sort of international incident where one has to debate a whole long time to figure out which side they should be on. but still our Secretary of State is nowhere to be found, the president is providing bloody little leadership, all the while mercenaries serving this crazy bugger are shooting people, burning their homes, and driving over them with T 62's in the streets.

[/quote]

Sorry, there fella, but I'm on the side of staying out of it, so I'm backing the President's held back stance. Do I think it's right people are dying? No, of course not. But I also know how many American military will die if we get involved. And I think it's long past time we stopped policing the world. We need to be a stronghold for ourselves. Strengthen not only our borders, but our strategic bases around the world, while allowing world events to play out at the intention of the people involved in them. Otherwise we're always going to be the enemy and always the first one attacked when something goes wrong in their part of the world. We have way too much of our own nation going into the toilet to put other nations above our own people. If Nato and the UN votes to get involved, so be it, but we should not offer any more troops or support than another other of the nations. It's time we took care of ourselves. And the rest of the UN Security Council needs to anti up. I'm sick to death of it always bing us.

'Rani

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1298580649' post='499301']
[quote name='TheScotsman' timestamp='1298577607' post='499289']

[/quote]

Sorry, there fella, but I'm on the side of staying out of it, so I'm backing the President's held back stance. Do I think it's right people are dying? No, of course not. But I also know how many American military will die if we get involved. And I think it's long past time we stopped policing the world. We need to be a stronghold for ourselves. Strengthen not only our borders, but our strategic bases around the world, while allowing world events to play out at the intention of the people involved in them. Otherwise we're always going to be the enemy and always the first one attacked when something goes wrong in their part of the world. We have way too much of our own nation going into the toilet to put other nations above our own people. If Nato and the UN votes to get involved, so be it, but we should not offer any more troops or support than another other of the nations. It's time we took care of ourselves. And the rest of the UN Security Council needs to anti up. I'm sick to death of it always bing us.

'Rani
[/quote]

Not trying to be rude at all, but the american government wouldn't get involved in any wars if they didn't feel it was in their best interest. If you've ever heard the term a military industrial complex, you'll understand what I mean. People think wars just cost money, but you would be surprised how much of your economy is influence and dependent on war. It's called neoconservatism.

There has certainly been talk of intervention in Washington. Apparently one reason at least that it is not being considered is because there are lots of Americans in Libya and that could lead to a hostage situation which nobody wants. Certainly the last thing the Arab world wants is American intervention. The UN really isn't much of an option either they couldn't pour piss out of a boot with instructions on the heel. There's talk of sanctions, thats ridiculous sanctions take time. Freeze Qaddafi's money? Don't worry, he got out of the Swiss bank scene after his son Hannibal got in trouble over there. Pretty soon these Chadian mercs are going to realize that its a losing battle and they're gonna get the hell out of Dodge,because if the people get a hold of them, its really going to get bloody. However,if at any time our oil supply gets serious threatened,say this kind of thing happens in Saudi, you can bet your ass the military will be in there to protect the rich and famous. Gas prices are rising and thats going to be the motivation, high gas prices could send us back into the recession they say we are out of already. Anyway,is our military able to sustain three fronts? We'd have to call up the Boy Scouts

The recession is nowhere near gone, I would say it's in a momentary calming phase for the public but most global economic analysts would agree that the future of the american economy looks rough. Just wait until foreign investors start selling their dollar denominated assets and the world reserve currency becomes the euro. Global living standards will shift dramatically.

btw: I know i got way off topic I just had to say that after reading the last post. To get on topic I would agree that getting involved in something else would be to far too much to handle for the US.

[quote name='GoldenFingerBl4ster99' timestamp='1298582056' post='499305']

'Rani

Not trying to be rude at all, but the american government wouldn't get involved in any wars if they didn't feel it was in their best interest. If you've ever heard the term a military industrial complex, you'll understand what I mean. People think wars just cost money, but you would be surprised how much of your economy is influence and dependent on war. It's called neoconservatism.
[/quote]

I don't think you're being rude, and you might be surprised to know I understand that. But our priorities and focus need to change because if we all look around us and the state of our own country, we can't help but see it hasn't worked worth a hot damn, has it?

'Rani

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1298584234' post='499311']

'Rani

[/quote]

I don't think you're being rude, and you might be surprised to know I understand that. But our priorities and focus need to change because if we all look around us and the state of our own country, we can't help but see it hasn't worked worth a hot damn, has it?

'Rani
[/quote]

What you are saying is so true and logical, and I wish it were the way things worked. This is why it doesn't though; ask the people that are making the decisions in politics and large cooperations with massive lobbying power if things are working. I'm sure they are all sitting quite intent. Which brings up an important subject. The ever converging relationship between big business and politics which is having a very negative influence on the democratic systems around the world. I see it everyday and it makes me so angry.

[quote name='GoldenFingerBl4ster99' timestamp='1298585030' post='499317']
[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1298584234' post='499311']

'Rani

[/quote]

'Rani
[/quote]

What you are saying is so true and logical, and I wish it were the way things worked. This is why it doesn't though; ask the people that are making the decisions in politics and large cooperations with massive lobbying power if things are working. I'm sure they are all sitting quite intent. Which brings up an important subject. The ever converging relationship between big business and politics which is having a very negative influence on the democratic systems around the world. I see it everyday and it makes me so angry.
[/quote]

I agree completely, but there is hope. Dangerous, bloody, hope. Because if anyone thinks the revolutions happening on the other side of the world are going to stay there, they haven't a clue just how angry most of humanity is right now. The powder keg has been lit and people have had enough. All over the world people have had enough. And there's still more of us than there is of "them". That measly 2% holding the worlds wealth don't look so good when 98% is out to remind you of the reality of a starving and angry majority.

'rani

'Rani

[quote name='GoldenFingerBl4ster99' timestamp='1298584071' post='499310']
The recession is nowhere near gone, I would say it's in a momentary calming phase for the public but most global economic analysts would agree that the future of the american economy looks rough. Just wait until foreign investors start selling their dollar denominated assets and the world reserve currency becomes the euro. Global living standards will shift dramatically.

btw: I know i got way off topic I just had to say that after reading the last post. To get on topic I would agree that getting involved in something else would be to far too much to handle for the US.
[/quote]

Oh I agree. We are being told the recession is over, but my wallet says otherwise. Lots of people want to end the dollar as a world currency, but I doubt if the Euro is up to the job. Watch out for Chinese, they definitely want to see an end to dollar domination. Lots of things are going to change is this century,by 2100 we won't be able to recognize ourselves

Or it could the president's fawning all over his nut-job religious leader (wright) making a trip with calypso-lewie to go kiss Qaddafi's arse.

Hmmm.. Pan am was an American airline, full of American citizens. That would make Qaddafi's plotting to bomb it an act of war against the USA.

That mess hits SA, and doesn't get shut down, we are screwed. Ready for $10/gal fuel? Add a production problem in Algeria, and the speculation is you will be happy to see a "deal" on gasoline at 12.00/gal. That's it, you are screwed. Corn ended @ 763.12 a bushel yesterday, the numbers work out to around 1700 cents a bushel at 10/gal for diesel. Same fuel costs Winter wheat is going at 787 today, projected at 1850 with 10/gal. Game over, you can't afford to eat. How's your gardening skill? Ready to do some survival poaching? Te whitetail pop is going to suffer around here! What the hell would you do if you live in a city? Eat rats? Granted, it's a worse case, but that seems to be the way things are going these days.

If you don't think the world has a vested interest, both economically, and morally, in putting an end to the BS in the mid east, you are not in touch with reality.

[quote name='TheScotsman' timestamp='1298588443' post='499332']
Or it could the president's fawning all over his nut-job religious leader (wright) making a trip with calypso-lewie to go kiss Qaddafi's arse.

Hmmm.. Pan am was an American airline, full of American citizens. That would make Qaddafi's plotting to bomb it an act of war against the USA.

That mess hits SA, and doesn't get shut down, we are screwed. Ready for $10/gal fuel? Add a production problem in Algeria, and the speculation is you will be happy to see a "deal" on gasoline at 12.00/gal. That's it, you are screwed. Corn ended @ 763.12 a bushel yesterday, the numbers work out to around 1700 cents a bushel at 10/gal for diesel. Same fuel costs Winter wheat is going at 787 today, projected at 1850 with 10/gal. Game over, you can't afford to eat. How's your gardening skill? Ready to do some survival poaching? Te whitetail pop is going to suffer around here! What the hell would you do if you live in a city? Eat rats? Granted, it's a worse case, but that seems to be the way things are going these days.

If you don't think [color="#4B0082"][b]the world has a vested interest, both economically, and morally, in putting an end to the BS in the mid east[/b][/color], you are not in touch with reality.
[/quote]

EXACTLY! Time for the rest of the world to, as I said before, anti up. We're had enough of our best dying on foreign shores without any real back up from the rest of the "civilized" world.

'Rani

If you don't think the world has a vested interest, both economically, and morally, in putting an end to the BS in the mid east, you are not in touch with reality.
[/quote]

Who the fuck is Calypso Lewie???? Can't you please use real names for those of us that do not subscribe to what ever conservative outfit coins these names. I know those great luminaries of talk radio use those kind of degrading references. ( Judging from your references to impending doom, I suppose you listen to beck, got your food insurance,special seeds and gold bullion)Since we have had this conversation before and you insist on calling people by pet names perhaps when you introduce a new one like Lewie you could parenthetically inform us of the real person. Example: Caribou Barbie ( Sarah Palin)
Thanks

[quote name='mustafabey' timestamp='1298591453' post='499338']

[/quote]

Who the fuck is Calypso Lewie???? Can't you please use real names for those of us that do not subscribe to what ever conservative outfit coins these names. I know those great luminaries of talk radio use those kind of degrading references. ( Judging from your references to impending doom, I suppose you listen to beck, got your food insurance,special seeds and gold bullion)Since we have had this conversation before and you insist on calling people by pet names perhaps when you introduce a new one like Lewie you could parenthetically inform us of the real person. Example: Caribou Barbie ( Sarah Palin)
Thanks
[/quote]

Oh My God..... I have not laughed so hard in such a long time. If we weren't a nation apart, and I ran into you at the grocery store, I'd throw myself in front of your cart, yelling "Take me, I'm yours!"..... I am so very glad you are my internet friend!

'Rani

Gas prices are going to skyrocket eventually no matter what the situation is currently. The US population is still living beyond their means and an end to that is inevitable. What I can't decide is wether it's deliberate or not. It will be easy to tell based on whether or not there are major companies already prepared and introducing cars that run on bio fuel etc once gas prices get too high for the average consumer. The point is, companies will always find a way to benefit from disaster, whether they are natural or man made.

But I do agree rani that you can only fool the masses for so long, and revolutions around the world are already starting to come.

[/quote]

Thanks
[/quote]

calypso lewie... how uninformed you are??? must have not made the commie news network, eh?
[b]Louis Eugene Walcott[/b] Made several recordings of Calypso songs back in the mid 1950's then he changed his name to Louis (calypso lewie) farrakhan. You know, the guy who was awarded the [b]Al-Gaddafi International Prize for Human Rights [/b]in 1996. The guy lauded by PEBO for winning that award.

Calypso lewie... one of the most outspoken antisemitic asses in the USA.The guy that said being called the "black hitler" was a good name because hitler was - in his words - "A great man."

If you respect that guy, then it says volumes about you.

I usually call palin "snow-balls" barbie, but either works. I am an equal opportunity nickname user

[quote name='TheScotsman' timestamp='1298672178' post='499493']

[/quote]

Thanks
[/quote]

calypso lewie... how uninformed you are??? must have not made the commie news network, eh?
[b]Louis Eugene Walcott[/b] Made several recordings of Calypso songs back in the mid 1950's then he changed his name to Louis (calypso lewie) farrakhan. You know, the guy who was awarded the [b]Al-Gaddafi International Prize for Human Rights [/b]in 1996. The guy lauded by PEBO for winning that award.

Calypso lewie... one of the most outspoken antisemitic asses in the USA.The guy that said being called the "black hitler" was a good name because hitler was - in his words - "A great man."

If you respect that guy, then it says volumes about you.

I usually call palin "snow-balls" barbie, but either works. I am an equal opportunity nickname user
[/quote]

Oh for God's sake Scotsman...... How the hell do you expect someone to make the leap from Calypso Louie to Louis Farrakhan? He's absolutely the only Louis in the world, or in the news right?

And while we're on the subject, if you're going to preach and raise hell, and if you're the "well off" CEO you claim to be why don't you dig out a couple bucks and become a premium member? It's not like you haven't been around a while and taken advantage of the hospitality of the place, but especially if you're going to play the fart in the snowstorm, at least be a contributing member you old deadbeat you. Otherwise I'll give you a nickname..... Deadbeat Scotty!

'Rani

Interesting,never knew Farrakhan made Calypso records. Yes he is a great hater. I suppose Qaddafi and him got along real fine.You mention Hitler and it looks like Qaddafi is taking a leaf from Hitler's book and going down in flames like der Fuhrer. Well good riddance Mu'ammar and do it quickly.

[quote name='mustafabey' timestamp='1298587050' post='499327']
[quote name='GoldenFingerBl4ster99' timestamp='1298584071' post='499310']

[/quote]

Oh I agree. We are being told the recession is over, but my wallet says otherwise. Lots of people want to end the dollar as a world currency, but I doubt if the Euro is up to the job. Watch out for Chinese, they definitely want to see an end to dollar domination. Lots of things are going to change is this century,by 2100 we won't be able to recognize ourselves
[/quote]

it will without a doubt be the Euro, unless a new dedicated world currency is created, which there has been talk of. But there are nearly as many Euros in circulation around the world as there are dollars now. In 72, which i believe is when the Dollar became the world reserve, there were other strong currencies that were up to the task but simply just didn't have the liquidity that the Dollar did.

[quote name='GoldenFingerBl4ster99' timestamp='1298674662' post='499512']
it will without a doubt be the Euro, unless a new dedicated world currency is created, which there has been talk of. But there are nearly as many Euros in circulation around the world as there are dollars now. In 72, which i believe is when the Dollar became the world reserve, there were other strong currencies that were up to the task but simply just didn't have the liquidity that the Dollar did.
[/quote]

I'm putting my money on the Deutschmark. The eurozone as a currency union lacks the uniformity that the USA's currency union of states has and thus diverging price levels expressed in a fixed exchange rate spell disaster, as is the case in Greece. Don't bet on the Yuan either, China wants to preserve export dominance. Also, the number of Euros in circulation means nothing. By that logic the currency of Zimbabwe would be the reserve currency. Just chiming in.

OT: It's not America's business to get involved right now except to champion peaceful resolution and humanity, which we cannot afford to do, unfortunately.

[quote name='Dr. B' timestamp='1298950782' post='499886']
[quote name='GoldenFingerBl4ster99' timestamp='1298674662' post='499512']
[/quote]

I'm putting my money on the Deutschmark. The eurozone as a currency union lacks the uniformity that the USA's currency union of states has and thus diverging price levels expressed in a fixed exchange rate spell disaster, as is the case in Greece. Don't bet on the Yuan either, China wants to preserve export dominance. Also, the number of Euros in circulation means nothing. By that logic the currency of Zimbabwe would be the reserve currency. Just chiming in.[/quote]

Just have to say this. Actually the amount of Euros in circulation is an essential part of being a world reserve currency. Foreign central banks hold over 65% in US dollars. Around the world, on average, two thirds of countries foreign currency reserves have been in US dollars. The point is central banks need to be filled with dollar denominated assets because it is the world reserve currency. Although it will most likely be the Euro, it is possible for other countries now who have been give special drawing rights from the IMF and could be used to increase the liquidity of their currency.

• 5 weeks later...
Honestly it is better we stay out of it. It is a civil war. We are actually on 3 fronts already if you don't realize it. We are in the Horn of Africa for pirate operations as well. So this would be a fourth front. One that doesn't concern us. though we are on 3 fronts, they are all under the Global War On Terrorism. Libya is not terrorist organized so it doesn't matter. If you want our AMERICAN MEN AND WOMEN to die fighting for another country why don't you go over there and help them out.

[quote name='Allstar' timestamp='1301571278' post='503633']
Honestly it is better we stay out of it. It is a civil war. We are actually on 3 fronts already if you don't realize it. We are in the Horn of Africa for pirate operations as well. So this would be a fourth front. One that doesn't concern us. though we are on 3 fronts, they are all under the Global War On Terrorism. Libya is not terrorist organized so it doesn't matter. If you want our AMERICAN MEN AND WOMEN to die fighting for another country why don't you go over there and help them out.
[/quote]

Gadaffi's govt is not a terrorist organization? Are we living under a rock?

Libyan troops sent into Chad to overthrow gov't

Libyan bombing of Omburdman, Sudan, in an attempt to destabilize the area.

Mid 80's Libya placed anti-ship mines in Red Sea in an attempt to interfere with merchant maritime industry.

1983(?) Shots from inside Libyan gov't building in UK kill a Britich police officer.

1985ish, Libyann coordinated machine-gun & planned bombing attacks in Rome, and Vienna airports.

1986 Libyan military spec ops units bomb a US military frequented night club in Berlin.

1986/87, USN splashes a few libyan jets, and sinks a libyan frigate when they challenged US craft in international waters.

1988 Pan Am Flt 103 bombed by libyan operative, with libyan planning, and funding.

1989 French UTA flight 772 bombed, Libyan planned, funded, and operatives.

1990ish, IDF captures arms, and personnel trained in Libya, being smuggled into Israel.

mid 90-ish Germany catches illegal export attempt of equipment intended to manufacture B/C weapons.

2002- Al Quada, a naturalized American, and Libyan gov't conspire to assassinate Crown Prince Abdullah S.A. and US agencies destroy the plan.

Libyan military trains/equips members of M-19, Japanese Red Army, and IRA along with a load more I can't remember.

I am sure there are a few I can't remember right now, and I likely got some of the dates wrong.

The one thing that is indisputable is that Libya has been, and threatens to be a terrorist supporting gov't. The only debate is to weather we should be in a war... er, I mean... wait, what does the bumbler-in-chief call it? It's not a war... it's a kinetic military action. In the end, it's going to be like every other part of this admin's foreign policy-a complete clusterfuck.