Tom Cocobrico Coconut Natural Coals

Majid

Tom Cocobrico (coconut charcoal cubes)

Smell: There's a light, not too unpleasant smell while lighting them. None after they're lit.

Ease of Lighting - About 7 minutes on my stove, had to turn them once to get them lit all over.

Heat - Seems sufficient. I get all the heat i need from them. Smokes well, seems harder to burn the tobacco as well.

Flavor No noticeable flavor imparted onto the shisha.

Ash - Very little ash. Most of it seems to burn up.

Long lasting? : I can smoke for about 70 mins untill i need to replace them. That seriously improves the smoking experience. No hassle moving coals, adding to them every 25 mins.

Price - 3.50 for a hundred cubes. Considerably cheaper than quicklights
EDIT: That's 3.50 euros, about 5.50 dollars.

Bottom Line - 8.5/10.

+
I'm very happy with them. Burn a long time, ash very lightly and don't give off bad smells or flavour. And they're very solid too, don't break up quickly in the package or when dropped.
-
It's annoying, when replacing coals during a session to have to go downstairs, put new coals on the stove, go back up and wait for them to be properly lit. Edited by Majid

• 2 years later...
[color=#5D5D5D][font=tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif][size=2][b]Cocobricos
[/b]
These are allegedly the same formulation as the older Coconaras - they're made in the same factory in Indonesia. The difference is they're cubes and they're ENORMOUS - about a cubic inch if not more. Not available in the US, but readily available in the UK for about £3 a kilo - CHEAP![/size][/font][/color]
[color=#5D5D5D][font=tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif][size=2]
Smell: Typical coconut coal smell - I have yet to use any that has no smell.

Ease of Lighting - I was using a gas stove which takes longer than coils, but these take a bit longer because of their size.

Heat - Good enough for AF (sensitive). I would usually light 3, put two on, then after a bit pop the third on

Flavor: None

Ash - Astonishing. These leave so little ash you wonder where the hell the spent coal goes. Hopefully not into the lungs.

Long lasting? : I've got 135 minutes out of them, yes, 2 hours, 15 minutes. At that point they are reduced to nothing. Granted approaching the 2 hour mark they're really tiny.

Price - See above, ultra cheap

Verdict - 10/10 - there is no better coal. Someone needs to import these into America ASAP!
[/size][/font][/color]

• 5 months later...
COCOBRICOS

These are made in Indonesia. These are smaller than coconaras, about 1 inch square that are 1/2 inch thick.

Smell: Slight when lighting, nothing near as offensive as japanese or quicklights

Ease of lighting: Very easy, just set on the stove burner and leave until red hot. These heat up quicker than coconaras.

Heat: Very hot, hold onto heat for up to an hour and a half.

Flavor: If there is any, it is very slight

Ash: Some, easily knocked off as you reposition coals.

Duration: I am on my second box, can count of them to keep me smoking for about an hour and a half. They get smaller, I usually heat four or five, start with two and add smaller ones as time goes on.

Price: Very cheap. I paid 1 1/2 kd (about $4.75 USD) for 96 peices.

Overall: 10/10. I will only leave these if I can't find them! :) They heat up quicker than coconaras and are head and shoulders above Japs or quicklights. Edited by Scrappydoo

• 7 months later...
[u][u][b][u]Cocobrico Coal Review[/u][/b][/u][/u]

These are Cocobricos, currently not available in the United States, but readily available in the United Kingdom and other various countries in Europe, and perhaps the Middle East (not really sure). I have often times in the past seen UKers praise these coals due to their excellent heat and long duration. Travis was nice enough to send me some of these in one of our trades. Huge props to him, as these are great coals and I would have understood if he wanted to hog them all to himself. [img]http://www.nargilenation.com/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.png[/img]

Consistency is perfect. These are HUGE coconut cubes. Much like Cocomazaya, but way bigger. Each cube is pretty much perfect in shape and consistent with one another. The coals are not all falling apart or anything. They do not split in half like some coals do, especially during lighting. They hold up quite well. They are your standard coconut quality, like Coconara, Cocomazaya, or Razan.

Lighting them was well, let's just say, a patient wait. I usually start coals on the coil burner on my stove at high heat FIRST, before I start preparing my hookah and everything. By the time my bowl was packed and the hookah was all set up, the coals were not even halfway done. I flipped them at five minutes, did another five minutes, then flipped them on another side for I think about 3 minutes. So about 13 minutes total. That's quite a wait, but worth it if you... well, I'll get to the good part in a minute. [img]http://www.nargilenation.com/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img]

Smell during lighting was very slightly noticeable. Not bad whatsoever. Bout like any of your other quality coals. These did not smell at all once lit and on the bowl.

No taste from the coal during smoking. Always a good thing!

The ash is very good. It will hug the coals for insulation, but is still easy enough to knock off. Very easy to sweep ash off of the bowl and into the tray. The tray does not get very messy, as these don't ash a ton. The ash is your standard grey/tan color, much like you would see with Coconaras or something similar. I did a side-by-side with Razans and the ash was the exact same color and consistency.

Here's where the fun part comes... Heat management and duration. This is where these coals are FUCKING EPIC! Heat management is just like any other good quality coconut coal. Just place two on opposite sides of the bowl slightly hanging off the edge to begin with. Wait 5 minutes. Take a pull... Clouds are rolling! Just slightly nudge the coals in over time during the session. These are so big you won't need a windcover until much later in the session compared to if you were using a flat rectangular coconut coal. So yes, that also means... Duration is mind-blowing on these. I started smoking at 9AM and as the clock hit 11AM, I was still smoking on the same round of coals with good sized clouds. Yes. TWO HOURS. Crazy. If you don't mess with them too much, they will last up to two hours. Amazing.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with these coals. The duration is the best part, because that means you have TWO hours of smoking without interruption to go light more coals. With Japanese coals, you are getting up on average every 20 minutes to place new coals on top of the already lit ones, called "piggybacking." With the coconut coals we're all used to, you have to light new ones about every hour on your coil burner (takes about 10 minutes, but not a hassle if you do it before your current coals totally die). With these, you have two full hours without having to do anything. Yes, this is only due to the larger size of the coal. No magic is involved. Just bigger pieces. Some may argue that's a bad thing. I won't. I like it. Makes my life easier, as I always smoke two rounds of other coconut coals anyway! So if you almost never smoke just one hour like me, these coals are for you. If you only ever like to smoke for one hour tops, then these are NOT for you. Stick with what you've been using. As for me, I'm anxiously awaiting the opportunity to get more of these. [img]http://www.nargilenation.com/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.png[/img]

A++