Cleaning Your Hookah

Well, a long brush is really the best option...

See about getting it into your bathtub. Or a garden hose.

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1295328847' post='494773']
Take it in the shower with you along with the stem brush. It's the fastest and easiest way to handle those extra long stems that I've found.

'Rani
[/quote]

Great way to bond too. :)

stem alternative?

straightened wire coat hanger and strips of a scrubber pad or something. just put the strips at the opening of one end of the pipe and go civil war on that shit and just ram it through the other end.

that being said, cheap vodka and a stem brush are your best options.

you attach something to the brush to make it longer...(wire?)
+
if you have a shower that is on a hose...try taking off the shower head and running a lot of water through the stem...(just like epoch suggested with the garden hose)

[quote name='fze' timestamp='1295353700' post='494814']
Thanks guys, ill try the alcohol and lemon juice
I found it weird that it didnt come with a stem brush for it, are all KMs like this?
[/quote]

I always usually get a stem brush with whatever hookah I buy.

Where did you get your's from?

Personally I concur with others in recommending a long brush.

But, if you want/need to improvise, you can make a "pull-through" or "mouse" as used for woodwind instruments. Take a small square of cloth (glasses cleaner, old underpants, whatever) that will pull through the stem, tie it to the end of a piece of string, put a small weight on the other end of the string (I use a miniature penknife). Drop weight through stem, pull cloth through.

Sounds like a lot of work. I don't have a stem brush and never have.

I soak my hookah in hot water and lime juice then flush it out with hot water.

I use the head gasket upside down to direct the hot water from the faucet to the stem.

Being 36", you may want to invest in a long skinny tub/bucket so you dont have to fill your bathtub with lime juice.

You think he would send a stem brush over to Canada for free? Lol
I didnt get one either for my Mya QT from HJ, but maybe cuz of its size
Going to supermarket now to see if i cant find something to clean it with, otherwise ill just go with the lemonbeerbakingsoda soak method

• 5 weeks later...
[quote name='fze' timestamp='1295381672' post='494863']
You think he would send a stem brush over to Canada for free? Lol
I didnt get one either for my Mya QT from HJ, but maybe cuz of its size
Going to supermarket now to see if i cant find something to clean it with, otherwise ill just go with the lemonbeerbakingsoda soak method
[/quote]

I already did send you one
But for all you smokers that best way to clean is a thin brush and lemon juice and rinse hot water

You're better off using Rubbing Alcohol than Vodka. Vodka is pricier, even if you buy the rot gut cheap stuff.

[quote name='Virgil' timestamp='1298477083' post='499036']
Has anyone ever tried or considered using an instrument swab to clean their hookahs? I'm not sure if it would fit through such a small tube but something like a clarinet swab might work.
[/quote]

Never considered a swab, but they make these things called "spitballs" for trombone. Spongy masses filled with cleaning solution you put in the trombone and blow through as hard as you can. It's amazing what comes out.

I tried the same thing, and it worked wonders. I cut up a cheap dollar store sponge and used it, but paper or cloth works just as well.

Soak the sponge/paper/cloth bits in vodka/lemon juice/baking soda, what have you and shove it into the top part of the stem. Blow through the stem to shoot it out the other side into your sink. Do this a few times, and then run hot water through.

Make sure the bits are big enough to take up all the empty space in the stem, but not too big to get stuck!