Deep Thinkers

I find things of that sort (string theory, quantum mechanics, etc) interesting but I don't claim to know a lot about how it works - I just have bouts of seeking out articles, videos, talks, and the like on them. I'm not very math or science oriented anyway - I'm an art student - which I feel like an understanding of which is at least somewhat necessary to understand these topics on a deeper level.
I'd be interested in learning more, but the education I'm paying for (i.e. college) trumps from the education I seek out for fun. :P

I do a lot with metaphysics in my Theology degree; recently did some research on the Whiteheadian idea of field metaphysics. It's hard to get started on but once you understand the basics, the ontological aspects of conversations are really fun.

I'm always extremely interested in theoretical physics/modern physics, things happening on a quantum level, and everything about what goes on in the universe. I read The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene and working on the authors other book The Fabric of the Cosmos.

Good to hear some feedback. I wanted to see if there were others looking into this type of philosophy on this forum. I was originally introduced to Kabbalah (The authentic real deal) by a Jewish Rabbi and mystic who had a great knowledge of it. It is extremely difficult to grasp and I always found myself swimming in a sea of tangible thought. After being introduced to the principles behind Quantum Physics, everything started coming together. While I am no philosopher or formally educated theologian, it has opened my eyes to many possibilities as well as my wife. The most incredible parallels in my mind are the relationships between Kabbalah and the newer science of quantum physics, for Kabbalah was founded over 2000 years ago. It is as an Native American chief once said, One day science will prove what the mystics have known all along.
That being said, I came out of Christianity because I found more followers than thinkers and no answers to questions but rather the "You just need to have Faith" which faith has lead enough inquisitions in the past to go on for days. I have been very interested in some of the writings of Deepak Chopra, the quantum physicists behind the movie "What the bleep do we know", and Rav Michael Laitman.
Is anyone here familiar with the thought that all humanity functions based upon the Ego and a self serving nature, even though it is not always evident? Looking forward to lots of discussion.

[quote name='Tryingtoascend' date='25 April 2010 - 10:38 PM' timestamp='1272253080' post='465432']
Is anyone here familiar with the thought that all humanity functions based upon the Ego and a self serving nature, even though it is not always evident? Looking forward to lots of discussion.
[/quote]

I have always had my own thoughts in this area. I have always believed that we, as humans, are arrogant enough to actually think we are 'special' in relation to the natural world and universe. The truth is, we are just an invisible blip in the vast universe. We are just a string of chemicals that can be further broken down into molecules, then into atoms, then into subatomic particles, then into tiny vibrating energy strings (if one were to apply string theory). We are in fact just another form of life. Life has one goal, ensure the survival of itself. This is done through reproduction and evolution/adaptation to the environment. The very nature of life ensuring survival is self serving. It can be observed in almost all forms of life on Earth, it just does not seem as evident in other species because they have not evolved the capacity to do it on such a grand scale as humans.

So basically I am saying that those ants in your backyard are just as self serving as us, just on a much smaller scale. I don't know, I just churned all this out without thinking or planning...does any of that make sense?

[quote name='Tryingtoascend' date='25 April 2010 - 10:38 PM' timestamp='1272253080' post='465432']
...The most incredible parallels in my mind are the relationships between Kabbalah and the newer science of quantum physics, for Kabbalah was founded over 2000 years ago. It is as an Native American chief once said, One day science will prove what the mystics have known all along.
[/quote]

I've been really interested in the Kabbalah but I don't have any teacher to guide me through it and I lack the fluency in Hebrew (K'tav Ivri especially for all its potential relevance in scripture, despite the scholastic opinion that the Torah was written in K'tav Ashuri) to decipher much for myself.
I just wanted to chime in with that.

I can transliterate Hebrew but that's about as far as I can go for now lol.

[quote name='Dr. B' date='02 May 2010 - 03:51 PM' timestamp='1272833485' post='466401']
...The most incredible parallels in my mind are the relationships between Kabbalah and the newer science of quantum physics, for Kabbalah was founded over 2000 years ago. It is as an Native American chief once said, One day science will prove what the mystics have known all along.
[/quote]

I've been really interested in the Kabbalah but I don't have any teacher to guide me through it and I lack the fluency in Hebrew (K'tav Ivri especially for all its potential relevance in scripture, despite the scholastic opinion that the Torah was written in K'tav Ashuri) to decipher much for myself.
I just wanted to chime in with that.
[/quote]

I'm trying to hide my excitement that there are other people on this forum interested in more than just hookah's. Not to downplay as I am enjoying a mix of Jasmine and Vanilla shisha even now. That being said, trying to understand The Zohar, is challenge enough. Unfortunately I cannot read Hebrew but may start a new endeavor to learn it. I have a brother who is currently deciphering Torah within the context that every Hebrew letter correlates to a number, and each verse of Torah contains a numerical pattern which duplicates itself in many places over and over again. The first verse in Torah actually contains the exact same numerical value as the very last book of Torah, thus the sages teach that if any letter or punctuation in Torah were to be changed, the entire book is then nullified and useless. Which paramounts the importance of exact translations every time since its inception. My struggle is that The Zohar does not speak in literal terms but almost everything is metaphorical, so in my limited knowledge I attempt to read an encoded document. But if by reading and attempting to digest these things, I am able to receive a small portion of light and develop a sense of the true reality which we cannot perceive with our 5 senses, then I become closer to a self awareness of my own consciousness. I look forward to our future conversations.

well at the very least maybe we can entertain the notions that have come to be a general understanding. I'll have more to say tomorrow unfortunately: this was just a chime in to acknowledge your response.

I wish Tiza could be around to say something

[quote name='Jewish Mystic' date='04 May 2010 - 11:08 AM' timestamp='1272985702' post='466589']
This is just a test to see if this forum supports Hebrew font.

[size="4"]בְּ[/size]רֵאשִׁית, בָּרָא אֱלֹהִים, אֵת הַשָּׁמַיִם, וְאֵת הָאָרֶץ.
[/quote]

I know that one! It's the first verse of Genesis :) Except רֵאשִׁית literally means Genesis and not "In the beginning" :)

[quote name='Tyler' date='04 May 2010 - 04:23 PM' timestamp='1273004586' post='466620']
[quote name='Jewish Mystic' date='04 May 2010 - 11:08 AM' timestamp='1272985702' post='466589']
This is just a test to see if this forum supports Hebrew font.

[size="4"]בְּ[/size]רֵאשִׁית, בָּרָא אֱלֹהִים, אֵת הַשָּׁמַיִם, וְאֵת הָאָרֶץ.
[/quote]

I know that one! It's the first verse of Genesis [img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img] Except רֵאשִׁית literally means Genesis and not "In the beginning" [img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]
[/quote]

I have a big thought process post coming on, I just need to finish my semester first so I can free my mind :)

I dont know a whole lot about anything currently being discussed, but Im interested to see as to where this discussion could lead. Who knows, I might learn something from it.