Soussi Resturant

MyvRocks382

Hey Everyone!

Noticed that there were no reviews of any of the Hookah Bars in the Washington DC area - which is weird cause there are like 10 or 15 of them in Adams Morgan alone. Anyway this review will be for Soussi - which has been rated the best Hookah Bar in DC for several years in a row (mostly cause the others dont really try imo)

[center][img]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i241/MyvRocks382/l.jpg[/img][/center]
[center][b]Soussi Resturant
Location:[/b] Adams Morgan (between N California St & N Kalorama Rd)
[b]Address:[/b] 2228 18th St NW, Washington, DC 20009
[b]Contact: [/b](202) 299-9314
[b]Website: [/b][url="http://www.yelp.com/biz_redir?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.soussiindc.com%2F&src_bizid=3cLjj443dNhFcwWgNU4dEg&cachebuster=1267068771"]www.soussiindc.com/[/url]
[b]Hours:[/b] Opens everyday at 5 and closes between the hrs of Midnight, 1, and 2 depending.
[/center]
[b]LAYOUT:[/b]
The restaurant is split up into three distinct areas first the [b]outdoor patio[/b] - which is very nice especially in the summer time. It isnt too big that too many people are surrounding you nor is it or too small that it feels crowded and awkward. It is also a great place to people watch (srsly the drunk crowd in Adams Morgan - hilarious) Then there is the [b]main floor and bar[/b] - which also houses the kitchen. While Soussi IS a Hookah bar you have a lot of locals who come to the bar just to drink (lightly - you dont get heavy drinkers at Soussi) and socialize - luckily they only ever stay downstairs and in the bar area - away from the patio and the upstairs lounge. This could be because the bar tenders at Soussi are boss - and are pretty awesome when it comes to bar tricks and flare. The layout of the main floor is very narrow and it gets crowded fast. But if you can grab one of the window nooks they are pretty much the bees knees - you get the excitement of the bar and at the same time are cut off from the rest of the crowd. Just pass the main floor you have the stairs leading to the [b]upstairs lounge[/b]. Now the upstairs lounge is the most desired place in all of Soussi for the Hookah smokers - its done in traditional Moroccan decor and has nice low lighting. The only down side is that sometimes it gets a bit crowded and with the way the seating works your group could easily merge with the ones next to you. While most of the time I am okay with this - sometimes its not what I am looking for.

(Note: They do not take reservations. And on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, unless you get there around 6 - expect to wait. Also for any one who smoke cigarettes, you can only do so outside in the patio in accordance with DC Law)
[b]
FOOD:[/b]
Soussi, surprisingly enough takes its self seriously as restaurant as well as a Hookah Bar - This could be due to the fact that the Moroccan born owner, Jamal Sahri, also owns U-topia (an award winning restaurant) as well. Most people I have noticed in my time there don't know what to make out of the menu at Soussi - I mean who goes to a Hookah bar expecting to order Calamari, Cocktails, and Wine, or even Smoked Norwegian Salmon and Brochette?! But trust me the food is good! Even though it is a Hookah bar they do not skip on the food or its quality. Many locals now come to Soussi early before the crowd arrives to eat dinner and then enjoy a nice Hookah or two after. If restaurant food isn't what you are looking just order your hookah and a side a fires and your set!

Also they killer Moroccan Mint Tea and Turkish Coffee, and their Lamb Couscous is to die for!

[b]Food Prices:[/b] Appetizers: $4 - $10, Entrees: $15 - 20, Drinks: $3 (Soda) $6+ (Cocktails)

[b]Note: 18.5% Gratuity Added to Parties of Five Or More [/b](this is less than most places in DC which charge 20%)

[b]Hookahs:[/b]
They have a mix of Mya and Egyptian Hookahs and I am pretty sure they use Nakhla (based on the fact that I use Nakhla most of the time and the taste is almost exactly the same and you ALWAYS get what my friends and I have started calling the "Nakhla Buzz" every time we smoke at Soussi)

Also if there is ANYTHING wrong with your hookah just tell your server and they will bring a new hookah no questions asked. If your coal needs replacing they do it free of charge (Some people say they charge (1$) for it - but I personally have never been charged for that).

[b]Hookah Prices: [/b]$12 Per Hookah ($16 for premium flavors), $7 Head/Bowl Change, $1 Coal Change (?)

[b]Atmosphere: [/b]
What I love most about this place is the feel of it is it totally chill and laid back, the people who work there are really nice (once you get to know them - many people complain that the staff is stand-offish but they are understaffed, they have like 3 or 4 waitresses working the whole restaurant ... srsly give them a break) Also you can stay for as long as you like - the wait staff will never try to kick you out, they also don't hoover and bother you and let you enjoy your hookah in peace. Also no matter how busy they make sure to get you your Hookah right after you order it.

....Down sides. Because they are understaffed sometime food orders and drink orders can take a while to get to you. If you want to pay there are time when u have to go and seek out your waitress to tell her to get the check (I dont mind this so much but some people do) At times is can get a bit loud and crowded - sharing your seat with you neighbors can be fun but sometimes as I said before you just want to chill with your own friends.

But I think my biggest pet peeve about this place - is that before they use to play Arabic pop-music and for some unknown crazy reason they have switched over to American pop music...it kinda kills the feel. But its not too bad as they dont start playing it until around 9 or 10 at night.

[b]Soussi Restaurant:[/b] 4 out of 5

-Myv
Peace, Love, and Lollipops

Thanks for the review man, I'm new to the DC area and was looking for a nice hookah lounge to hang out.

It looks really good except that I'm not a huge fan of Nakhla, but I definitely have to try this one.

Also do you know what the age limit is for this place? Some of my friends are not 21 yet...

Thanks!

[quote name='nbarraille' date='25 February 2010 - 12:29 PM' timestamp='1267126197' post='453741']
Thanks for the review man, I'm new to the DC area and was looking for a nice hookah lounge to hang out.

It looks really good except that I'm not a huge fan of Nakhla, but I definitely have to try this one.

Also do you know what the age limit is for this place? Some of my friends are not 21 yet...

Thanks!
[/quote]

Hey!!! Welcome to DC!!!

Ummmm they usually don't card - I have only ever been carded once (Just this yr for the first time ever...in 6yrs) but apparently they have been known to do so on occasion. And when they do card you have to be 21. BUT I swear to you they only ever card when its time to renew their alcohol license (cause of inspections) and during SUPER high traffic hours Friday and Saturday (8:30ish/9-10PM) So if you get in before you should be fine.

BUT don't worry cause if they do card and you can't get in....U won't be out of luck because unlike most places, I think Adams Morgan has the largest amount of Hookah Bars in relation to each-other....Queens in LITERALLY right across the street (It may look kinda shady and they dont take credit cards but this place is legit and their Hookah's are awesome - I will be doing a review on them later), Prince Cafe is slightly further up the block (Although I think they might still be closed - tax evasion and all that jazz), and TANGEIRS is pretty close as well at 2305 18th St. (This place is very similar to Soussi - so if u want a similar experience go here - the price range is the same, unlike Queens which is like twenty times cheaper. Also Tangeirs offers Belly Dancing from time to time which Soussi does not. I will also be doing a review on them as well) .... There are other Hookah bars around but I have felt out the ones that I find to be a bit too shady and the ones that require u to be 21+.

Hope this helped! If you have any other questions I would be more than happy to help if I can!

Here is a list of[b] Hookah Bars in DC [/b]that I will be writing up reviews on.....eventually, soon. Im just being lazy right now.

Queens - Adams Morgan
Tangeirs Hookah - Adams Morgan
Prince Cafe - Adams Morgan (If it is still open/re-opened)
Chi Cha Lounge - Adams Morgan/Florida Ave (21+)

Prince Cafe - Tenley Town

Prince Cafe - Georgetown
Prince Palace - Georgetown
Zenobia Lounge - Georgetown (on K. ST)

Gazuza - Dupont Circle (I am not sure it if is 21+ I didnt get carded w/ my friends but I would assume so since it is owned by the same guy who owns Chi Cha Lounge)
[size="2"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Marrakesh Palace (Their upstairs Pasha Hookah Lounge) - Dupont Circle (21+)

[/font][/size]

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
i did tenley town just for a heads up... its a md bar as well... your looking for price in gtown

• 3 months later...
Thanks!

I went to Soussi twice, once with a friend under 21, they never carded us, even for the drinks.

First time the hookah was good, not awesome (Nakhla is pretty basic tobacco IMO) but good. It lasted for 2 hours and 3 coals. The second time, the first coal was very harsh, then the second coal was good. I don't like that they don't give you a pair of tongs to move the coal yourself.

The happy hour is pretty nice though as they do half price on cocktails.

I also tried the Chi cha lounge on U St, and I liked it too, but they card. So now, we go there when we don't have under 21 people with us, and if we do we go to Soussi.
The hookahs and the food are good, the place is nice and the music is fine.
Too bad they don't do -50% on cocktails during happy hours!

[quote name='MyvRocks382' date='25 February 2010 - 09:42 PM' timestamp='1267152148' post='453879']
Hey!!! Welcome to DC!!!

Ummmm they usually don't card - I have only ever been carded once (Just this yr for the first time ever...in 6yrs) but apparently they have been known to do so on occasion. And when they do card you have to be 21. BUT I swear to you they only ever card when its time to renew their alcohol license (cause of inspections) and during SUPER high traffic hours Friday and Saturday (8:30ish/9-10PM) So if you get in before you should be fine.

BUT don't worry cause if they do card and you can't get in....U won't be out of luck because unlike most places, I think Adams Morgan has the largest amount of Hookah Bars in relation to each-other....Queens in LITERALLY right across the street (It may look kinda shady and they dont take credit cards but this place is legit and their Hookah's are awesome - I will be doing a review on them later), Prince Cafe is slightly further up the block (Although I think they might still be closed - tax evasion and all that jazz), and TANGEIRS is pretty close as well at 2305 18th St. (This place is very similar to Soussi - so if u want a similar experience go here - the price range is the same, unlike Queens which is like twenty times cheaper. Also Tangeirs offers Belly Dancing from time to time which Soussi does not. I will also be doing a review on them as well) .... There are other Hookah bars around but I have felt out the ones that I find to be a bit too shady and the ones that require u to be 21+.

Hope this helped! If you have any other questions I would be more than happy to help if I can!

Here is a list of[b] Hookah Bars in DC [/b]that I will be writing up reviews on.....eventually, soon. Im just being lazy right now.

Queens - Adams Morgan
Tangeirs Hookah - Adams Morgan
Prince Cafe - Adams Morgan (If it is still open/re-opened)
Chi Cha Lounge - Adams Morgan/Florida Ave (21+)

Prince Cafe - Tenley Town

Prince Cafe - Georgetown
Prince Palace - Georgetown
Zenobia Lounge - Georgetown (on K. ST)

Gazuza - Dupont Circle (I am not sure it if is 21+ I didnt get carded w/ my friends but I would assume so since it is owned by the same guy who owns Chi Cha Lounge)
[size="2"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Marrakesh Palace (Their upstairs Pasha Hookah Lounge) - Dupont Circle (21+)

[/font][/size]
[/quote]