Christmas Woes...

Tyler

So I've been feeling a bit down this Christmas. To start it off I have a very uneasy feeling about my ethics class. If I get a B- or lower in it, I get kicked out of my program. I feel like I did well on the final and everything but I got a 70% on my mid-term which could be impossible to come back from. Then, today I get a Christmas card from my brother, who I love very much, but I feel guilty that he got me something when I cant really afford to get him anything, and to top it off, he sent me $100 check. I feel like shit. I realize that I am in grad school and I don't have a lot of money but I feel like I should get people something who get me something. This Christmas doesn't feel the same, too much potential for bad things to happen. And I know that if I do get a B in my ethics class, that I will feel silly for having felt so bad all Christmas holiday, but I can't help it; I'm pretty much relying on getting my Masters to set up the rest of my life.
  • Upvote 1

Hope you get a good enough grade to stay in your program, man. This semester I didn't put as much effort into it... I'm just starting to not care anymore... I'm so tired of school/work, school/work, school/work. It's kicking my ass. So I'm not expecting to get as good of grades this semester. Maybe I'll try harder in January. As for presents, I'm poor as hell right now with having to pay all my own bills and car payments, even with my gf splitting them all with me (except for the car payment, since it's MY car). We decided this year to go half-in-half on everyone's presents simply to save money... So everybody's presents say "From Chris and Brooke." I hate not having money, and only being able to get my brothers and sister measley gift cards when I fear they're going to get me more of an actual present... Oh well. They all understand we're in college, so it's all good. Your brother should know the same. So don't feel so bad. It's natural for us to feel bad, but we shouldn't. We'll get them nice gifts when we're rich, lol. Just enjoy your Christmas break. I'm sure your grades will come through and be good. I know I'm living my Christmas break up, lol.
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='FSUReligionMan' date='19 December 2009 - 11:27 AM' timestamp='1261250868' post='440303']
So I've been feeling a bit down this Christmas. To start it off I have a very uneasy feeling about my ethics class. If I get a B- or lower in it, I get kicked out of my program. I feel like I did well on the final and everything but I got a 70% on my mid-term which could be impossible to come back from. Then, today I get a Christmas card from my brother, who I love very much, but I feel guilty that he got me something when I cant really afford to get him anything, and to top it off, he sent me $100 check. I feel like shit. I realize that I am in grad school and I don't have a lot of money but I feel like I should get people something who get me something. This Christmas doesn't feel the same, too much potential for bad things to happen. And I know that if I do get a B in my ethics class, that I will feel silly for having felt so bad all Christmas holiday, but I can't help it; I'm pretty much relying on getting my Masters to set up the rest of my life.
[/quote]

You have so much value beyond what's in your wallet. Lack of money is nothing less than inspiration for creativity and usually those turn our to be the gifts with the most meaning. Using any word processing program you can make up certificates for your loved ones for whatever they need to be redeemed later when they need it. A weekend house sitting so someone can get away from the dogs and kids. Cleaning out the garage for your dad. A full day of shopping with your mom without complaining, carrying all her packages and holding her purse. The things you can give from your heart that don't cost you a dime are the ones your loved ones will cherish the most anyway.

'Rani

sucks to hear about your school...don't really know what to say except that i wish you the best...

as far as the christmas thing...it really is the thought that counts....

for example, my mom told me a couple of years ago, that the best present she ever got from me was a poem i wrote and an old photograph....i didn't spend a dime on it, but it was worth more to her than the dozens of flowers and jewelry i've gotten her before....

[quote name='FSUReligionMan' date='19 December 2009 - 12:58 PM' timestamp='1261256284' post='440335']
I know Rani I'm just really upset about my school situation
[/quote]

I understand. And holidays just add extra pressure. But there is yet another old wise Buddhist saying....

[b]When you need help, help someone else.
[/b]
(I think Buddhists are pacifists because they don't have time to be aggressive - they're too busy sitting around making up wise old sayings!)

The purpose though is to get out of our own heads and give back. It changes our mindset. So instead of allowing yourself to be depressed, move into action and give them what you can give them. Yourself. You will feel better once you do.

'Rani

The thing that gets me the most is that I'm probably teetering 2% on either side of the B threshold. I sent my professor an e-mail maybe he'll show me some mercy.

What program are you in?

I feel the same way about the holidays.
I barely have enough money for my financial obligations, let alone gifts.
I think my family pretty much understands though.
I will make it up to them when I start my career in engineering.

I hope you get that B or better that you need in your class.

Dude, I am literally in the exact same situation, minus the grades. I honestly hate holidays, or at least what they've become, because I'm not in a situation to show appreciation through traditional gift giving due to my financial situation in Grad school. Sure, the university pays for my education, but the "stipend" they pay me barely covers rent, food, and gas for a month. So, after all of that, I feel for you, man. It really sucks and I completely understand about the Master's setting up the rest of your life; without mine I would be virtually obsolete in the world.

Yeah I get 900 a month for my stipend, after I pay all my bills and potion out for 3 tanks of gas, I have 290 to make it through the month. :-\

Damn man, we should try to orgonize an Ohio meetup in Columbus or something

Don't beat yourself up over it. More or less it's out of your hands now, but you're going to come out of it just fine.

As for your brother, I don't think you have any reason to feel guilty and shouldn't worry about it. I'm sure he understands your situation. If you can, maybe send him a card back with a handwritten message inside.

Good luck.

Good Luck on Ethics!

I took it a long time ago, and got a B-. I still maintain Ethics with out Morality is just Arbitrary. Might have got an A if I could have separated Ethics and Morality in my head.

Yeah this class is called "contemporary ethics" which is in a theology program so we basically juxtapose everything to theological morals/ethics. The hard part for me was the entire econ section, it was just too much to know for a SECTION of a class, and all that on top of everything else was just way too much. I'm praying :(

[quote name='FSUReligionMan' date='21 December 2009 - 04:33 PM' timestamp='1261431238' post='440800']
Yeah this class is called "contemporary ethics" which is in a theology program so we basically juxtapose everything to theological morals/ethics. The hard part for me was the entire econ section, it was just too much to know for a SECTION of a class, and all that on top of everything else was just way too much. I'm praying :(
[/quote]

You should post some of the things the class covered... I know I'd take the bait.

Otherwise, when I was in grad school, nearly every semester, unfolded for me just as it did for you. I survived. Somehow. You will too.

[quote name='judgeposer' date='21 December 2009 - 08:50 PM' timestamp='1261453802' post='440868']
[quote name='FSUReligionMan' date='21 December 2009 - 04:33 PM' timestamp='1261431238' post='440800']
Yeah this class is called "contemporary ethics" which is in a theology program so we basically juxtapose everything to theological morals/ethics. The hard part for me was the entire econ section, it was just too much to know for a SECTION of a class, and all that on top of everything else was just way too much. I'm praying [img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif[/img]
[/quote]

You should post some of the things the class covered... I know I'd take the bait.

Otherwise, when I was in grad school, nearly every semester, unfolded for me just as it did for you. I survived. Somehow. You will too.
[/quote]

Well said. I got a B in my Shakespeare class and an A in both my other classes. I attribute it to a lack of interest and not seeing eye to eye with the professor. Great work, FSU. I didn't doubt you for a second, man! Just think, 3 more semesters lol.