Traveling To The Us From The Uk

shaffaaf27

Cheapest way would be to fly in terms of time and gas and all that jazz. Otherwise, maybe a Greyhound Bus. Traveling around the US isn't as easy as it is in Europe or Central/South America.

QUOTE (shaffaaf27 @ Sep 21 2009, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
is there a train service that goes across?

well its £400 for the flight to the US how much would it bee across the US?

not directly across, but we have trains here. I'd check into getting a cruise from NY up to canada ac ross alaska and down to california. I don't think there is such a cruise but it would be cool.

From JFK (John F Kennedy Intl.) to San Diego Intl. You're looking at roughly $415-$430 per seat (round trip, including taxes) to travel from April 4th to April 8th ish....
From LAG (LaGuardia Intl.) to San Diego Intl. You're looking at roughly $395-$415 per seat (round trip, including taxes) to travel the same dates

That's roughly £255 (prices are only a quick check from Northwest/Delta... United might be cheaper since San Diego is one of their hubs)

To take Amtrak (train) you're looking at a 3 day trip from New York to San Diego and a 3 day trip back. You'll get to see a lot of the country, but it'll cost you about $500/£305 per seat for a regular coach seat, or for almost triple that cost you can upgrade to a sleeper for the long leg of each trip. Amtrak is pretty cool, but its stinky, close quarters, and ultimately not worth the money....That's why people in the US don't travel long distance via train unless they absolutely have to.

Greyhound is around the same time commitment, and you get to see a lot of the country... There are no sleeper cabins, so you're stuck sitting in the coach seats, but they're typically more comfortable than Amtrak... Greyhound is kinda sketchy, a little more stinky, and you'll meet some...characters... but its cheap... looks like if you book now, you can get a round trip ticket for $216/£132...

I would advise against renting a car, you'll be looking at roughly $750/£455 to rent the car (economy car, pretty tiny, but good gas mileage-30 miles per gallon or so), and you'll still have to get gas (gas is roughly $3.00/gallon, so that translates to £1.83/gallon, or £0.43 a litre (I think that math is right...)) From JFK to San Diego its roughly 2,900 miles (43 hours of continual driving), so that means at 30 miles per gallon, you'll need roughly 97 gallons of gas at a cost of roughly $291/£178... You'll also have to get hotels... at least 3 night worth... so that'll compound it even more...So, unless you're made of money, this is clearly not the most cost effective solution...

Hope this helped.

lol train. we REALLY don't use them like yall do in the UK. You could probably manage a train voyage but LA to SD is driving distance here.

Good luck. LA and NYC (and my own personal bias says Houston to) are definitely cities to visit on a trip to America. Be prepared though, LA is spread out probably way more than you're used to. Avoid southside areas like compton, englewood, and if you make it to long beach, the eastside.

Jeez, Tiny. Could you at least give him some practical information? ermm.gif

Flying is the way to go. You can fly cheaper, on standby or whatnot. Trains are slower than planes, but faster than a car, and much faster than a bus.

Driving time, if you drove without stopping for more than a pee is about two days. Its about as far from New York to San Diego as it is from London to Turkey.

Whats in San Diego you want to see?

QUOTE (shaffaaf27 @ Sep 24 2009, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i heard there is a herd of gay hobos that in habit a hole in the wall between alia auto insurance and randy's mini mart.
thought id check it out wink.gif

Seriously if i have any money at the time i might be able to drive you guys down, you just got to take the train from SD back to L.A. which is really easy.