Vortex Vs. Small Phunnel

Im trying to decide which one to purchase. I usually smoke fantasia and starbuzz but after seeing how much everyone loves tangiers i want to purchase a new bowl. I would get a small phunnel for the tangiers but it holds too much shisha for my liking. I only want to use about 25g which is what a vortex can hold. Can i get away with putting 25g to 30g in a small phunnel or should i just get a vortex. I plan to smoke fantasia and starbuzz as well in either one i get so thats why i want to know whether 25 to 30 grams will work with a small phunnel.

QUOTE (vortex32 @ Sep 20 2009, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im trying to decide which one to purchase. I usually smoke fantasia and starbuzz but after seeing how much everyone loves tangiers i want to purchase a new bowl. I would get a small phunnel for the tangiers but it holds too much shisha for my liking. I only want to use about 25g which is what a vortex can hold. Can i get away with putting 25g to 30g in a small phunnel or should i just get a vortex. I plan to smoke fantasia and starbuzz as well in either one i get so thats why i want to know whether 25 to 30 grams will work with a small phunnel.

I really don't know how many grams it takes for a Phunnel, I just know that you need to pack it correctly. If you skimp on how much you need to pack, your setting yourself up for disappointment.

I'd say a small phunnel would hold about 30g. With my small phunnel I can pack 2 bowls of a 50g pack I bought. Which is usually AF and I pack it a little tight in my phunnel so usually the second bowl is a little light on shisha. The pull on a vortex is pretty hard too. The phunnel makes an easy pull if you pack it full enough to lift the foil off the middle hole. I don't know any tricks to improve the pull on a vortex

QUOTE (momatik @ Sep 20 2009, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've never used a vortex, but I heard it's basically the same thing. It's like a phunnel bowl and a scalli mod all in one.

you need to go look up what a scalli mod is, a vortex bowl isnt even close to a phunnel or a phunnel with scalli mod.

QUOTE (mattarios2 @ Sep 21 2009, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
in my experience smalls hold 40g. I have a mini which is waaaay smaller than the smalls ive had and my mini holds 25-30g of nak, for tang i pack 35g.

Mini 25-35g
Small 35-45g
(depending on size, as they are handmade)

Is what I would estimate

Where can i find a mini phunnel?

I have a vortex and a small phunnel. Both are good, but I prefer the phunnel.

Easier to clean, flavor stays throughout session. With the vortex with every round I can taste the flavor slow diminishing. The vortex uses less grams, but when using juicy shisha, small amounts will drip into the base. I also like the pull from the phunnel better. For me it's only slightly better, but makes a difference to me.

If possible, buy both.

QUOTE (vortex32 @ Sep 21 2009, 09:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well i guess the mini phunnel is out of the question haha. Im probably gonna get a small phunnel and if it is using too much tobacco i will only use tangiers with it and get a vortex for other brands. Thanks for the help!

Hookah John recently posted that he got new small phunnels in... a variety of colors are shown on his page

QUOTE (K1024 @ Sep 21 2009, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (momatik @ Sep 20 2009, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've never used a vortex, but I heard it's basically the same thing. It's like a phunnel bowl and a scalli mod all in one.

you need to go look up what a scalli mod is, a vortex bowl isnt even close to a phunnel or a phunnel with scalli mod.

If you think a scalli mod makes a significant difference by pulling the air down through the shisha, you are highly mistaken.

As said by Eric, the convection between the pieces of tobacco conducts heat better than air. No one says that they get more flavor or something after using a scalli mod. It just prevents the foil from getting sucked down onto the hole.

Therefore, the only real purpose of a scalli mod is that it makes it easy for the people who think putting a whole in the middle of the phunnel causes them to pull just air. A vortex accomplishes the same thing by putting the holes in the side.

It's basically the same thing. Sure, they ripped off of the idea of the phunnel bowl, and if you want to get into the ethical issue, that's a different story, but structurally I don't see how it's different.

Maybe you can explain to me how it is though.

QUOTE (gunsNhookah @ Sep 21 2009, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a vortex and a small phunnel. Both are good, but I prefer the phunnel.

Easier to clean, flavor stays throughout session. With the vortex with every round I can taste the flavor slow diminishing. The vortex uses less grams, but when using juicy shisha, small amounts will drip into the base. I also like the pull from the phunnel better. For me it's only slightly better, but makes a difference to me.

If possible, buy both.

I think thats what im gonna do and smoke strictly tangiers out of the phunnel or long sessions. Otherwise im gonna use the vortex. Plus the new styles of the phunnel at HJ ore too nice to pass up!!